5257Re: [bmw e28] Re: L-Jet problems. Tricky one...

  • Gil Thereault
    Jul 17, 2008
      Hello Richard,

          From the idling issue to the brakes.  Before you answer me, go out to the car and start it up.  Take note, when you depress the brake pedal does the brake light go on briefly then goes out?  If so the brake bomb is due to be replaced.  The car will stop as it should but the brake pedal with feel funny.  The purpose for this brake accumulator is when the engine inadvertently stalls, you have some vacuum store for a few pumps to get the car to a stop.  I have done mine twice in the 8 years that I owned my e28.  You can do that job yourself at home.  The next thing come to mind is a faulty master cyl,  some weird things happen there too.  I had the front right caliper lock up from time to time and would not unlock unless things cool down or I bleed that caliper on the road.  I you have some high mileage, I believe it would be a good idea to replace that as well.  This is also something you can do at home.  If you have Bentley manual,
      that will get you started.  If I can do it you can do it.  I then 8 years that I owned my e28, I have been able to correct the issues without taking it to a garage.  Keep in touch.

      Gil

      --- On Thu, 7/17/08, Richard <tabull@...> wrote:
      From: Richard <tabull@...>
      Subject: [bmw e28] Re: L-Jet problems. Tricky one...
      To: bmwe28@...
      Date: Thursday, July 17, 2008, 3:58 PM

      Thanks Gil, the engine has good vacuum and will stall straight away
      when the dipstick is pulled. Got my wife to pump the brake pedal while
      I listened and there is a definite vacuum leak coming from the master
      cylinder, corresponding with the engine losing vacuum. I am now
      thinking the pressure from the brake bomb is leaking back through the
      master cylinder, but I'm still not sure why this is causing the engine
      to lose vacuum. Maybe the engine isn't losing vacuum, just the power
      steering pump is having to work overtime to compensate for the air
      loss when the brake pedal is applied and it is placing too much load
      on the engine, causing it to drop in revs? Keep the ideas flowing..

      --- In bmwe28@..., Gil Thereault <giln1oiw2001@...> wrote:

      > Hello, Start to check or replace the vacuum hoses. I had found a
      few cracked or broken and replaced with new ones. A common culprit is
      the bellows tube that connects the air filter to the intake. This a
      common problem with cracking that allows air to enter the system.
      This will cause the problem you have described. A new one is less
      than $30.00 US or repair with a silicone goop as I did. So far it has
      lasted several years. The engines need a good vacuum pulling the
      dipstick or remove the oil cap will cause loss of vacuum with will
      stall the engine. Try these thing first.