5265Re: e28 buying Advice

  • Pat Hines
    Aug 25, 2008
      Nathan,

      You can buy a very nice 535i or 535is for $4000.00 or slightly less,
      that's what I'd look for. Try to find one that has original paint in
      good condition because that will mean it's mostly been garaged which
      will in turn mean that it's unlikely to have rust issues. I recommend
      a 5-speed transmission, the auto trannies of the time were nothing to
      write home about and frequently need rebuilds.

      With the extra money you'll have you can do a few enhancements to your
      car. I installed the M-tech suspension on my 535is, the one that we
      should have gotten in the US had it not been for our ridiculous bumper
      height restrictions. I have M5 stabilizer bars to go on it, a 3.64
      limited slip diff, and BMW factory e39 wheels in 8x17 too.
      Unfortunately, mine will need a paint job to deal with the "dead"
      finish it has now.

      Good luck in your search.

      Pat H.

      --- In bmwe28@..., "beachmedic78" <beachmedic78@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone,
      >
      > I'm fairly new to this group, but have previously enjoyed owning a
      > 1980 e21 and I'm now looking to upgrade to a bigger car that I'll be
      > able to keep once I have children.
      >
      > I'm looking for an e28 that I plan to autocross occasionaly. I love
      > the 80's BMWs because they are such a blast to drive and the driver
      > isn't isolated from the driving experience. Plus those cars had yet
      > to start adding all sorts of bells and whistles I don't want or
      > need, thus keeping the weight down.
      >
      > I have about $6,000 or $7,000 to spend and was wondering wether I'd
      > be better off buying a car for about $4 or 5k and putting work into
      > it, or just buying one for $6 or $7k. I'm more partial to the 535
      > than the 528.
      >
      > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to buy in
      > early October.
      >
      > Nathan
      > Savannah, GA

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic