5417Re: 83 528E converting the car from automatic to manual 5 speed

  • elswwjd316
    Aug 17, 2010
      Jeff,

      Thanks for the reply. According to the shop owner who tested the car, the flywheel has a raised "tab" or "tooth" that the TDC sensor "reads" and the flywheel we have in the car has two such sensor points on it's perimeter; the first is in the wrong position and the second is causing the backfiring by causing a false signal. He and his mechanic found a mechanic in Australia who had the same problems after a conversion to an identical car. That mechanic said that there are different fly wheels for each of the two fuel injection controllers used that year, version 1.0 and 1.1 Motronic ignition.

      I have tried three controllers: the original burned out. The second was an exact used replacement and it is in the car now. The third was dead on arrival. Could a bad controller cause the timing symptoms I an experiencing?

      I am now trying to do two things: first, find out if this is true (two flywheel models) and if so to find the other flywheel used somewhere. I have the official BMW shop manual and it does not mention two flywheels, although it does list both versions of controllers.

      Another point is the shielding on the sensor cables. Since these are for signal voltage only, the ground shield is only attached to the controller case ground though the main cable. I had the shop replace both sensors with brand new because the old sensors were showing lots of electrical noise.

      BTW, the car ran perfectly before the conversion was begun except for minor overheating which I fixed by replacing the radiator and water pump. The car has 102,000 original miles on it and drove like a new car when I bought it 3 years ago. My son, who is now driving, is working with me on this trying to get the car drivble for him to use it for school.

      All suggestions and help is greatly appreciated.

      Regards,

      Ed Stodghill
      lone.antelope.ranch@...