re: no spark?

  • Rhett Smith
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 29, 2003
      Yeah, I agree. First check the reference sensor. Make
      sure you don't have the reference sensor switched with
      the 'non-essential' speed sensor.
      After that, I'd check your flywheel and make sure one
      of the teeth have a iron 'pin' on it (that the
      reference sensor uses). The pin may have fell out when
      you were switching the tranny.
      After that, put in a mototronic CPU that you're sure
      works (I got one on ebay for $80), just so you can
      narrow down your search.

      Strange thing...in my 528e'87, the reference sensor
      and the mototronic computer went bad within 10 miles
      of each other. Weird right? NO KIDDING!
      g'luck- rhett.

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • black_528e
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 30, 2003
        --- In bmwe28@..., Rhett Smith <rhetly@y...> wrote:

        Rhett: I appreciate the response, but my car only has the sensor on
        the crankshaft. This is an automatic and when I pulled out the
        enginge I only disconnected the motronic connection. That way I
        figured that the engine was intact and I should not have any problems
        when it came to installing it. I must have picked up a gremlin
        someplace because I can not figure out the problem. I again think it
        is the brain. The car ran before I pulled out the engine, so I am
        still stumped I guess.>

        Yeah, I agree. First check the reference sensor. Make
        > sure you don't have the reference sensor switched with
        > the 'non-essential' speed sensor.
        > After that, I'd check your flywheel and make sure one
        > of the teeth have a iron 'pin' on it (that the
        > reference sensor uses). The pin may have fell out when
        > you were switching the tranny.
        > After that, put in a mototronic CPU that you're sure
        > works (I got one on ebay for $80), just so you can
        > narrow down your search.
        >
        > Strange thing...in my 528e'87, the reference sensor
        > and the mototronic computer went bad within 10 miles
        > of each other. Weird right? NO KIDDING!
        > g'luck- rhett.

        > http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • maca600ss
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 6, 2004
          I have an 85 528 which has been sitting outside with a car cover on it for
          about a year and it now has no spark the car was going when I parked it ( it
          had been smashed by my nephew) has anyone any ideas
        • iain@535se.co.uk
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 6, 2004
            I guess you need to check the usual suspects:

            Ignition coil, distributer cap, rotor arm, HT leads, spark plugs, battery, etc

            Not sure if the 528 has a mechnical distributer, if it does then that will
            need checking too....

            "maca600ss" <john-macdonald@...> wrote:

            > I have an 85 528 which has been sitting outside with a car cover on it for
            > about a year and it now has no spark the car was going when I parked it ( it

            > had been smashed by my nephew) has anyone any ideas

          • Steve Haygood
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 6, 2004
              could be lots of things, water in the ecu, stuck relays etc
              Steve

              Keep it Runnin'
              Automobile Solutions
              BMW CCA 6 Series Director
              www.SteveHaygood.com

              I have an 85 528 which has been sitting outside with a car cover on it for
              about a year and it now has no spark the car was going when I parked it ( it

              had been smashed by my nephew) has anyone any ideas

            • Steve Austin
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 6, 2004
                Agree with Ian. FYI a 1985 528i has electronic ignition.
                Also check and clean all ground points with a good electrical contact
                cleaner like Detoxit.

                --Paul

                >From: iain@...
                >To: bmwe28@...
                >Subject: Re: [bmw e28] no spark
                >Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:09:03 +0100
                >
                >I guess you need to check the usual suspects:
                >
                >Ignition coil, distributer cap, rotor arm, HT leads, spark plugs, battery,
                >etc
                >
                >Not sure if the 528 has a mechnical distributer, if it does then that will
                >need checking too....
                >

                >"maca600ss" <john-macdonald@...> wrote:
                >

                > > I have an 85 528 which has been sitting outside with a car cover on it
                >for
                > > about a year and it now has no spark the car was going when I parked it
                >( it
                >
                > > had been smashed by my nephew) has anyone any ideas

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
              • littlelorenzo7
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 31, 2006
                  hello, my name is randy a 1985 528e owner, the problem i have with the
                  car is at first the car just turned over and would not start.after
                  talking to the dealer i tried for spark and it was then they suggested
                  fuel pump,so i replaced the external pump and filter without results
                  then the pump and transferpump intank,fuel pressure regulator,the part
                  for cold start, and spark plugs,tried to start still would not start
                  finally ireplaced the sensor over the crank case varoom it started i
                  drove out of town about 200 miles and the car started the same thing
                  over again, turn over and will not start. this time no spark.....
                  tested the fuses now it losing power from the fuse box to the coil
                  could some one please give me a helpful hand my pockets is getting
                  very empty ......

                  respectly
                  please reply ASAP

                  randy w
                • william ripley
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 31, 2006
                    randy

                    hard problem to solve. is there any other weird
                    electrical problems . i just replaced the whole fuse
                    box. but i had lots of ghosts , radio circut going
                    when applied brakes, tack and speedometer blowing
                    fuses, abs and brake indicator lights comming on. once
                    i replace fuse box ( still a bit of a job ) all
                    ghosts dissapeared and running like a charm.
                    the onlly other thing would be the standards (
                    replace wires, distributor cap[ and rotor )

                    good luck

                    Bill Ripley

                    bilripley@...

                  • graham_e28
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 31, 2006
                      --- In bmwe28@..., "littlelorenzo7"
                      <littlelorenzo7@y...> wrote:

                      > hello, my name is randy a 1985 528e owner, the problem i have with the
                      > car is at first the car just turned over and would not start.after
                      > talking to the dealer i tried for spark and it was then they suggested
                      > fuel pump,so i replaced the external pump and filter without results
                      > then the pump and transferpump intank,fuel pressure regulator,the part
                      > for cold start, and spark plugs,tried to start still would not start
                      > finally ireplaced the sensor over the crank case varoom it started i
                      > drove out of town about 200 miles and the car started the same thing
                      > over again, turn over and will not start. this time no spark.....
                      > tested the fuses now it losing power from the fuse box to the coil
                      > could some one please give me a helpful hand my pockets is getting
                      > very empty ......
                      >
                      > respectly
                      > please reply ASAP
                      >
                      > randy w

                      Randy,
                      Hi, I have an e28 520i which had similar problems after sitting idle.
                      Having checked everything I could think of I changed the distributor
                      cap and rotor arm (check if the rotar arm has a rev limiter or not -
                      if it has there is a spring incorporated in the top of the rotor arm)
                      and 'bingo' - she has started first time ever since and runs much more
                      evenly.

                      You don't say where you are based - I am in UK and got my parts from
                      'eurocarparts'- cost was less than GBP £17 plus VAT.
                      You can check them out on www.eurocarparts.com and they ship just
                      about anywhere, although carriage costs vary. They give an email
                      address on the site if you can't find or identify the part on their
                      listings eg. they traced a new rubber seal for the boot (trunk)for me
                      as mine had perished.

                      It would certainly explain why you've no spark.

                      All I have to do now is sort out my continuing power problems!!!

                      Best of luck - Graham
                    • littlelorenzo7
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 13, 2006
                        --- In bmwe28@..., "graham_e28" <graham_e28@y...>