5-Speed Conversion

  • couchband
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2003
      Does anyone know where I can get the parts to convert an '86 535i
      from automatic to 5-speed? Also, after I get the parts, should I
      install them myself, or have a trained professional do it for me?
      Thanks.
    • Darrell Davis
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2003
        the cheapest way is to get a 533i donor car and change all the guts including the computer and flywheel with sensors.. it will make one heck of a diff. in the cars acceleration...also get a lower ratio posi -trac, 325 gear is good. good luck, you can do all of it yourself, zadious

        couchband <couchband@...> wrote:Does anyone know where I can get the parts to convert an '86 535i
        from automatic to 5-speed? Also, after I get the parts, should I
        install them myself, or have a trained professional do it for me?
        Thanks.

      • cartooner_1337
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 20, 2003
          I was talking to a friend of mine who works on cars for a liveing
          and as far as he knows all you need is the transmission and a
          clutch. The transmission should bolt on to the same place where the
          old transmission was. As for the clutch you need a mounting bracket
          and a hole in the firewall toe put the clutch line through.
        • five35i
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 20, 2003
            For complete guides on doing 5-Speed conversions:

            http://www.fatdaddybmw.com/tranny/