Re: [bmw e28] 528 won't idle and other things

  • Conal Buckley
    Message 1 of 11 , 14 Nov 10:44
      Sounds like lost pressure in your crank case. It's just like if you take
      off your oil cap the car will die. wipe down the top of the crank case, get
      it clean and sparkley, rev it up to about 2500 and look to see is there is
      any oil splatter, I betcha there's a gasket or a seal that could use
      replacing.

      On a completely unrelated matter, i've been getting a strange ticking
      sound from the underside of my car when I'm above 40. It only happens when
      my foot is off the gas. After three mechanics and the ruling out of a half
      dozen possibilities (something rubbing against my slotted rotors, loose
      shield on my Cat converter, devulcanized exhaust hangers, etc.) we finally
      discovered that it is my vibration dampener around my flex disc. The disc
      would torque up when I was accelerating and keeping it from rattling, but
      when my foot got off the gas pedal the axle would literally wobble around at
      a scary speed. The moral of all this is that if I had had my flex disc
      inspected (easy to do, prop up your back wheels, idle it in gear at third
      and watch the flex disc spin) I would have known to replace it ($45) but
      instead I have to replace my vibration dampener too ($205!!!!). So I'd say
      this would be a good thing to check once a year or so, it's located directly
      behind the rear seal for your tranny, can't miss it.

      >my 82 528i won't idle it just happened suddenly I have checked of the air
      >hoses between the air meter and the manifold and I can't find a air leak
      >there appears to be a fair bit of oil blowby in the hoses apart from that I
      >can't find any thing the engine was running perfect before this any ideas
      >would be welcome

      Frustrated with dial-up? Get high-speed for as low as $26.95.
    • Dutch man
      Message 2 of 11 , 14 Nov 19:27
        ok.. i have a 83 528e, i have replaced the catylic convert. twice so far and after a month of driving the car, it burns out (i open it up at mienkie (i know i know) and the honey comb stuff was like straight black and falling out, it was getting in my tail pipe and putting back pressure on engine...

        i know when it's burnt up casue i can here the stuff in the cat rattling around (pur.. hehe j/k)

        what could cause this.. after i first boaght the car (i had jsut turned 16 i know i know i am stupid @ss) i ran off road and puched hoels all along the cat and exaust

        had to get whole thing replaced, so cheapest way to go was a universal POS kit...

        well there u ahve it,, what could be burning up my pos cat in a month????

        and what risk am i running from just taking it off and cleaning it out, and putting it bck on????

      • Michael Burns
        Message 3 of 11 , 15 Nov 04:22
          Hi,

          What fuel are you running, it sounds like the mixture/fuel is causing
          this. The cat should definitely not foul so quick. Are you using fuel
          additives or anything?

          If I were you, I'd get the mixture checked, also, I'd just use a cat
          bypass pipe and replace it come testing time... that makes quite a
          difference to economy and performance (the last part is the important
          part ;)

[...]

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html
        • Dutch man

            Message 5 of 11 , 15 Nov 14:23
              A bypass pipe literally replaces the cat section, you take the cat
              section off, and replace for testing. Check out the Supra guys over in
              CA for advice on this ;) If you can get away with it in CA you can do it
              anywhere. The difference is usually at least 10% improvement on power,
              specially in the important mid range, its dependant but that's the
              general. I have no ideas on what checks happen in the USA at the road
              side, but usually, as is over here, they stick on a rectification order,
              you stick the cat on, get tested, then take it off.

              The only way to get caught would be at a road side emissions test,
              that's it. I doubt even the CIA have a device that can detect a catless
              car ;)

              What fuel are you using?

              Message 6 of 11 , 16 Nov 05:27
                I am using straight 87 actane gas (cheaper stuff, sometimes i put the middle stuf in "89" but thats it) no additives nothing like that...what in the engine/car coud be burning the cat like that??

                and i guess the cheapest way wouldbe
                A. straight pipe it (bypass pipe)
                B take the cat off and clean it out...

                Message 7 of 11 , 16 Nov 13:41
                  thanks for all the advice I will try it and hope i can find the problem

                • pommeree
                  Message 8 of 11 , 17 Nov 09:08
                    Sorry to rain on your parade but ...
                    If you've burnt through two Cats in a year then something is way off.
                    The engine is dumping gas which the cat then attempts to burn off
                    (like it should) but there's so much that the CAT is getting
                    incinerated. (Ask me how I know!)

                    For a fraction of the price of a custom exhaust (bypass) and new CAT
                    you should get the thing tuned up at the local imports place.
                    Both your performance and mileage should improve significantly if
                    you're dumping gas bad enough to incinerate two cats.

                    Also in NC there are only a handful of Counties that sniff the
                    exhaust.
                    See the following for current counties and policies.
                    http://www.dmv.dot.state.nc.us/enforcement/emissionsinspections/

                    The remaining counties need to see OEM emissions hardware on the car
                    if it's less than 25 Yrs. old.
                    If it's rigged with a snap-off CAT most reputable garages are going
                    to fail you.

                    Eric P.
                    Durham, NC
                  • Dutch man

                      Message 10 of 11 , 17 Nov 14:02
                        I'm sorry,
                        *cheapest* solution (common to non-sniffing NC counties. I know
                        folks who've done this)

                        - Cut out the cat, or use one of your spent ones.
                        - Use a broom handle to bust out the honeycomb.
                        - Weld the cat back in place.

                        (I don't think you can count on it simply burning away and if it's
                        choking on something else, it's just going to plug)
                        The emissions folks will see a cat in place for visual inspection but
                        becuase they don't sniff, emissions don't matter.
                        If you're in a sniffing county (which I'm guessing your not) then
                        you're forced to make it ALL right.
                        Check out the link I sent before to NCDOT.
                        They're adding a bunch more counties in 2004 and I don't know what
                        the policy is on "grandfathering" cars.
                        Eric P.

                        Message 11 of 11 , 17 Nov 20:58
                          cool yeh if sniffing is probing the @ss end of my car yes we do it in mecklenburg county....

                          i was talking to a cert. mechanic who was towing my car (after water pump went out..) he tell me to do just that... he say it should pass emissions,, is this true????

                          maybe if i use bottle of "pass-away" (celans fuel injectors and whole system passes inspection i did it last year after i fail,, brought from a 3.20 in c02 (i think) to a 0.8 )
                          maybe this might be a solution after i celan cat???

                          PQ: does the cat really burn alot of polution that the engine would miss? i would think the engine would be hot enough??>