clutch pedal return spring

  • Doug Dykaar
    Message 1 of 3 , 20 Nov 12:59
      After R&R on the clutch master, I discovered that I didn't get the clutch
      pedal return spring back in properly. I made this discovery when the spring
      assembly spontaneously disassembled and the pieces fell on my feet while I
      was driving.

      I broke the rod end that holds the assembly together. Without it, the pedal
      feels about the same, although it doesn't quite return to to the full up
      position.

      The manual lists two types of spring, a generic return spring, and the
      monster machine-spring assembly that I have (had).

      Is this thing useful? the clutch pedal sure was hard to push without that
      manly spring in there...

      TIA.

      -doug
    • Doug Dykaar
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 22, 2004
        I managed to break the clutch pedal return spring on reinstallation of the
        clutch master. I now have a little dead zone in the clutch pedal, i.e. I can
        lift up on the pedal. I put in another return spring, but it didn't change
        the rest position of the pedal.

        Is the dead zone the result of an incomplete clutch bleed? Bad Karma? Any
        body driving without the return spring? I always thought the pedal effort
        was ridiculous.

        TIA.

        -doug
        85 535 e28 137Kmi
      • Iain Simpson
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 22, 2004
          I had a very similar issue when I replaced my clutch master cylinder
          last year. I put it down to the new master cylinder not having to move
          as far internally to provide the same effort due to the seals being less
          worn. Over a period of about 6 months the feel of my clutch pedal
          returned to a more normal state.

          (It may be worth re-bleeding with a vacuum pressure system just in case)

          Iain

          http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html