Re: [bmw e28] Tail light fault

  • steve
    Message 1 of 7 , 21 Nov 19:45
      do you mean 'brake light warning' when you start that goes away after you
      press the brake pedal?
      Message 2 of 7 , 21 Nov 20:02
        Yeah,
        Sorry, guess I should have specified Brake lights, not Tail lights.

      • johnmacdon
        Message 3 of 7 , 21 Nov 21:50
          I had the same problem, I think I had a bad socket But there was also some
          rust around the housing and I think there was also a crarck in the housing
          it took me ages to find the problem

          Ben Giffordjohn macdonald22/11/03 3:02
          PMbimmerben@...-macdonald@...

          Yeah,
          Sorry, guess I should have specified Brake lights, not Tail lights.

          <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html> .

        • Ed MacVaugh
          Message 4 of 7 , 22 Nov 05:50
            As your owner's manual and others are certain to have told you, brake
            lights remain illuminated on the warning display until you check them by
            depressing the brake pedal. If they remain illuminated after that first
            depression, you have a true problem. I have wiring diagrams for some of
            these cars, so if the problem is real, let me know.

            All BMWs of that era are wired that way. Auto trans owners never notice
            it because they start their cars with their foot on the brake pedal.

            Ed

            Ben Gifford wrote:

            >Yeah,
            >Sorry, guess I should have specified Brake lights, not Tail lights.

          • CLAYTON BRADLEY
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 23, 2003
              so what is the answer I have an 88 535i and have the
              same problem with the check light being on till I
              press the brake now I have a problem with the car
              going dead over night. Some times it will not go dead
              for days others it will be dead in 3 hours. also I am
              having a problem with what I belive to be a trans
              problem. Some time if Iturn left hard I have a Orange
              light that apears to be a single gear and I lose power
              like the e brake is on or something any ideas.

              http://photos.yahoo.com/
            • Ed MacVaugh
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 23, 2003
                I can only address the first comment.

                That is the way the car is designed. You can only check the brake lights
                by pressing upon the pedal, so the check light remains illuminated until
                you do depress the pedal. This is described in the owner's manual.

                Ed

                CLAYTON BRADLEY wrote:

                >so what is the answer I have an 88 535i and have the
                >same problem with the check light being on till I
                >press the brake

              • henry tom
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 24, 2003
                  Hi All,

                  I have a 1984 e28 and the catalytic converter is going out. I need to replace it and in preparation have sprayed a lot of rust penetrant on the bolt and the nut for the past week to loosen it up. Today I jacked up the car and tried to loosen the three bolts connecting the cat and header. It won't budge. Any advice? If I use a impact wrench I fear that it will just break the bolt at the nut. Should I heat the nut and the bolt? If I manage to break the bolt at the nut, is it easy to then remove the rest of the bolt? Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

                  Thanks.

                  Regards,

                  Henry