[bmw e28] Door hanging procedure?

  • Doug Dykaar
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2003
      The doors on my e28 are getting harder to latch over time. They used to
      close so nice, now itsa slam. I hate that. I'm worried that if I loosen the
      striker plate on the door frame and move it arbitrarily, I'll make it worse.
      Its not obvious how to go about readjusting the location.

      Anybody BTDT?

      TIA.

      -doug
    • Doug Dykaar
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2003
        For all those who sent replies, thanks.

        The winner is Bob Kegel. Bob wins one "Attaboy".

        The bump stops were missing on the 3 of the 4 doors, and the fourth is
        cracked. I ordered through the dealer (I know, I know) for $2.71 each CDN.

        These are plastic covers that cover the metal lever that hits the post on
        the doorframe. When they go missing, the difference in the size of that
        lever has to made up in compressing the door seal, i.e. by slamming.

        And I thought parts only fell off english cars. Doh!

        -doug