Intermittent starting problems

  • russell.iannuzzelli@starpower.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 12, 2003
      I have a 1988 528e, and it generally runs great. It would not start
      the other day, it did crank, like it wasn't getting gas. I brought it
      to the mechanic who replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter
      supposedly for just cause, and it worked fine for a few days until it
      happened again, it just felt like it was getting no gas on start up,
      it just cranked. Towed it to the mechanics, and it started?? The
      only odd part is the oxy. sensor lite just went on a few days ago, ??

      I am at a loss, and fear I will not trust what the mechanic says

      Does anyone have any thoughts??

      Thanks

      Russ
    • milkandcereal10
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 12, 2003
        i had the same problem with my '85 535i. mine wouldn't start in cold
        weather-about 40 degrees Fahrenheit and below. first time i took it
        to the shop it was low voltage only around 12 volts i think and they
        put in a new battery with a new positive terminal. two weeks later, a
        cold front dropped temperatures once again and the car wouldn't start
        it was turning over, just wouldn't fire up, just last week infact.
        prognosis was a faulty reference sensor. apparently the reference
        sensor tells the computer that the engine is turning over so it can
        in turn, fire. they charged me 96.90 for the part. have your mechanic
        check the voltage on your battery, it might be a little low due to
        the cold and to slave in a sensor to check if it is bad. hope this
        helps.

        andy.

        > I have a 1988 528e, and it generally runs great. It would not start
        > the other day, it did crank, like it wasn't getting gas. I brought
        it
        > to the mechanic who replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter
        > supposedly for just cause, and it worked fine for a few days until
        it
        > happened again, it just felt like it was getting no gas on start
        up,
        > it just cranked. Towed it to the mechanics, and it started?? The
        > only odd part is the oxy. sensor lite just went on a few days
        ago, ??

        > I am at a loss, and fear I will not trust what the mechanic says
        >
        > Does anyone have any thoughts??
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Russ
      • russell iannuzzelli
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 13, 2003
          Andy

          Thank you for the advise, I ordered a reference sensor.

          Russ

          milkandcereal10 wrote:

          > i had the same problem with my '85 535i. mine wouldn't start in cold
          > weather-about 40 degrees Fahrenheit and below. first time i took it
          > to the shop it was low voltage only around 12 volts i think and they
          > put in a new battery with a new positive terminal. two weeks later, a
          > cold front dropped temperatures once again and the car wouldn't start
          > it was turning over, just wouldn't fire up, just last week infact.
          > prognosis was a faulty reference sensor. apparently the reference
          > sensor tells the computer that the engine is turning over so it can
          > in turn, fire. they charged me 96.90 for the part. have your mechanic
          > check the voltage on your battery, it might be a little low due to
          > the cold and to slave in a sensor to check if it is bad. hope this
          > helps.
          >
          > andy.
          >
          > > I have a 1988 528e, and it generally runs great. It would not start
          > > the other day, it did crank, like it wasn't getting gas. I brought
          > it
          > > to the mechanic who replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter
          > > supposedly for just cause, and it worked fine for a few days until
          > it
          > > happened again, it just felt like it was getting no gas on start
          > up,
          > > it just cranked. Towed it to the mechanics, and it started?? The
          > > only odd part is the oxy. sensor lite just went on a few days
          > ago, ??
          > >
          > > I am at a loss, and fear I will not trust what the mechanic says
          > >
          > > Does anyone have any thoughts??
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Russ
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html>.

        • Ron Kall
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 15, 2003
            1985 535i

            same problem - fuel pump relay after $200.00 in labor
            to diagnose the problem.

            Ron

            http://photos.yahoo.com/