radiator temp switches and electrical probs

  • abgueco2001
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2004
      each time i'm in a traffic i always notice my temp guage going up, so
      i suspect the switches on the radiators were worn out, i already
      ordered some but they're still not available. so i jumpered the low
      fan wires to get it running. problem is on my fuse box, the fuse
      holder for the auxillary fan seems to be melting. the odd thing is
      the fuse still werks but the holder's a meting plastic literally.
      anybody who has the same problem? help.
    • john macdonald
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 30, 2004
        I had a problem with the temp going up in traffic, you can get a lot of
        dirt and debris caught between the air con radiator and the radiator it
        self
        On Saturday, January 31, 2004, at 04:15 PM, abgueco2001 wrote:

        > each time i'm in a traffic i always notice my temp guage going up, so
        > i suspect the switches on the radiators were worn out, i already
        > ordered some but they're still not available. so i jumpered the low
        > fan wires to get it running. problem is on my fuse box, the fuse
        > holder for the auxillary fan seems to be melting. the odd thing is
        > the fuse still werks but the holder's a meting plastic literally.
        > anybody who has the same problem? help.

        <image.tiff>

      • Duncan Garden
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2004
          I have the same overheating problem. I have a 1983 520i and I think it could be the viscous coupling that needs replacing but i havnt got around to changing it.

          Anybody else who has knowledge on this?

          john macdonald <johnmacdon@...> wrote:
          I had a problem with the temp going up in traffic, you can get a lot of
          dirt and debris caught between the air con radiator and the radiator it
          self
          On Saturday, January 31, 2004, at 04:15 PM, abgueco2001 wrote:

          > each time i'm in a traffic i always notice my temp guage going up, so
          > i suspect the switches on the radiators were worn out, i already
          > ordered some but they're still not available. so i jumpered the low
          > fan wires to get it running. problem is on my fuse box, the fuse
          > holder for the auxillary fan seems to be melting. the odd thing is
          > the fuse still werks but the holder's a meting plastic literally.
          > anybody who has the same problem? help.

          <image.tiff>

          Haste makes waste

          Waste makes worry

          Do not be in a hurry

          duncangardenuk@...

          0044 131 620 3021

          0780 165 9957 (Mob)

        • Automobile Solutions
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 31, 2004
            usually a high resistance at a connection (probably at the fuse)
            Steve
            Keep It Runnin'
            www.stevehaygood.com
            Automobile Solutions
            BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 31, 2004
              I have had small electrical faults due to corrosion at connections and
              even corrosion on the onboard commp. circuit board rendering it useless. I
              tried a product from work called ACF-50, I figured a couple drops on the
              circuit board can't hurt seeing as it had white powder all over, I was
              expecting to scrap it. (hasn't worked since I bought the car 4 months
              earlier.)
              When I put the computer back in, it worked! Not a word of a lie-a couple
              drops was all I did-nothing else! It has been just over 1 year and not a
              problem whatsoever. I have since used it on every connection I can find.
              We use this product on our waterbombing aircraft which see salt-water duty
              from time to time. Aluminum + salt = practically instant corrosion! I have
              never seen the immediate effect at work like I did on my 535i.
              The product meets military specs and is described as "kills corrosion on
              contact, prevents and deactivates corrosion". I have used similar products
              but not with the same results. The name on the can says : Lear Chemical,
              Mississsauga, Ontario 1-800-256-2548. I have no idea if it's available in
              UK. I can try to give more info if anyone wants. I'm sure there are similar
              products, but in my 15 years of working with western Canadian sea/float
              planes and amphibious aircraft, nothing I have tried comes close.
              Unfortunately, I am not affiliated with the company. But my supply is
              getting low in case any one who is affiliated with them is reading this!
              I'm not sure if Wurth makes a similar product, but every Wurth product I
              have tried on cars and aircraft- has out-performed it's common North
              American equivalent, especially that Rost-off(used for rear subframe bushing
              removal, exhaust nuts,etc).
              Sorry about the length of this but I have realized that there are many
              people with electrical/corrosion issues. Try this stuff-I know it will work!
              Good Luck,
              Steve
              > usually a high resistance at a connection (probably at the fuse)
              > Steve
              > Keep It Runnin'
              > www.stevehaygood.com
              > Automobile Solutions
              > BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director

              http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html

            • Dutch man
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 31, 2004
                hello all, i have an 83 528e (great condition hehe) and wanted to add on a front air dam spoiler... and perhaps a rear lip style spoiler as well,

                anyone know any good sites online where i could find such things???

                what about an M5 body kit to fit my car?? thanks..

              • abgueco2001
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2004
                  that could probably be it, i'll just have it scheduled for the
                  electrical check up then i'll keep you posted.

                  --- In bmwe28@..., "Automobile Solutions"
                  <automobilesolutions@c...> wrote:
                  > usually a high resistance at a connection (probably at the fuse)
                  > Steve
                  > Keep It Runnin'
                  > www.stevehaygood.com
                  > Automobile Solutions
                  > BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director

                  Service.

                • abgueco2001
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 1, 2004
                    sure men i'll try to find a product like that. oh, i'm not from the
                    UK by the way i'm from the philippines. and i doubt it if it's
                    available here. letter was lenghty but it's still is INFO, it works
                    however it may be.

                    thanks

                    --- In bmwe28@..., steve <s.a@s...> wrote:
                    > I have had small electrical faults due to corrosion at
                    connections and
                    > even corrosion on the onboard commp. circuit board rendering it
                    useless. I
                    > tried a product from work called ACF-50, I figured a couple drops
                    on the
                    > circuit board can't hurt seeing as it had white powder all over, I
                    was
                    > expecting to scrap it. (hasn't worked since I bought the car 4
                    months
                    > earlier.)
                    > When I put the computer back in, it worked! Not a word of a lie-a
                    couple
                    > drops was all I did-nothing else! It has been just over 1 year and
                    not a
                    > problem whatsoever. I have since used it on every connection I can
                    find.
                    > We use this product on our waterbombing aircraft which see salt-
                    water duty
                    > from time to time. Aluminum + salt = practically instant
                    corrosion! I have
                    > never seen the immediate effect at work like I did on my 535i.
                    > The product meets military specs and is described as "kills
                    corrosion on
                    > contact, prevents and deactivates corrosion". I have used similar
                    products
                    > but not with the same results. The name on the can says : Lear
                    Chemical,
                    > Mississsauga, Ontario 1-800-256-2548. I have no idea if it's
                    available in
                    > UK. I can try to give more info if anyone wants. I'm sure there
                    are similar
                    > products, but in my 15 years of working with western Canadian
                    sea/float
                    > planes and amphibious aircraft, nothing I have tried comes close.
                    > Unfortunately, I am not affiliated with the company. But my
                    supply is
                    > getting low in case any one who is affiliated with them is reading
                    this!
                    > I'm not sure if Wurth makes a similar product, but every Wurth
                    product I
                    > have tried on cars and aircraft- has out-performed it's common
                    North
                    > American equivalent, especially that Rost-off(used for rear
                    subframe bushing
                    > removal, exhaust nuts,etc).
                    > Sorry about the length of this but I have realized that there are
                    many
                    > people with electrical/corrosion issues. Try this stuff-I know it
                    will work!
                    > Good Luck,
                    > Steve

                    Service.