Re: [bmw e28] rims and wheels question

  • Ben Broke-Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2004
      I'd get some proper wheels that are designed originally to fit the car, especially since they're BBS rims since BBS do a whole lot of options that fit our cars.

      You'll have difficulties with the offset, and 9 inches wide is pushing it for our cars.

      Where abouts in the world are you? If you're in the UK then take a look on ebay, tons of stuff always coming and going on there, loads of wheels I want but can't afford. :)

      Cheers,

      Ben
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
        Ben,

        i'm from the philippines and fyi not too many options here are
        available. i just got those rims from a friend so cheap that i
        wouldn't want to,refuse it coz i might regret it later on. anyways,
        it was nice to take an advice learning about the 9 inche, was
        pushing it.

        --- In bmwe28@..., "Ben Broke-Smith"
        <astonmartinv8@h...> wrote:
        > I'd get some proper wheels that are designed originally to fit the
        car, especially since they're BBS rims since BBS do a whole lot of
        options that fit our cars.

        > You'll have difficulties with the offset, and 9 inches wide is
        pushing it for our cars.

        > Where abouts in the world are you? If you're in the UK then take a
        look on ebay, tons of stuff always coming and going on there, loads
        of wheels I want but can't afford. :)

        > Cheers,
        >
        > Ben

        Service.

      • Ben Broke-Smith
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
          Ah! Well if there really isn't much available there then do investigate getting the bolt holes and center bore machined to fit, can't do any harm to find out if it's possible and what it will cost!

          What offset are the wheels? They should have an E or ET number stamped somewhere on them (i.e. ET20), if they're a high number offset (further inside the wheelarch) you can get hubcentric spacers to space them out, but if they're a low number offset (sticking out like rollerskates) then there's not much you can do other than wider arches! The 9x17 wheels SHOULD fit the back of the car, if the offset is right (or if you can use spacers to make it right).

          Trouble is, all this could be horrendously expensive, should the offset be wrong then the correct hubcentric spacers aren't cheap, machining the wheels to fit probably won't be cheap, but I guess it's possible at least.

          Let us know how you get on!

          <astonmartinv8@h...> wrote:
          > I'd get some proper wheels that are designed originally to fit the
          car, especially since they're BBS rims since BBS do a whole lot of
          options that fit our cars.

          > You'll have difficulties with the offset, and 9 inches wide is
          pushing it for our cars.

          > Where abouts in the world are you? If you're in the UK then take a
          look on ebay, tons of stuff always coming and going on there, loads
          of wheels I want but can't afford. :)

          > Cheers,
          >
          > Ben

          Service.