Re: [bmw e28] e28 520 petrol tank

  • Martin Heath
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 20, 2004
      You can get a new pattern tank from euro car parts. £77 + The dreaded VAT. I
      just got one myself. :-)
      Martin
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 20, 2004
        Thanks Martin - I think I'll do the Euro Car Parts route.
        apparently all e28 tanks are prone to rotting. bummer. All I need
        now is a garage who aren't total cowboys to put it in.

        There's also a small (1.5 square inch) rust patch under the nearside
        wheelarch, but that's all. I think that should be OK.

        The other raging debate is the SI indicator - which is
        intermittent. Some say it is imperative I replace the whole board
        as the NiCad battery might leak all over the dash electrics, but
        some owners (including the BMW garage) say this is not necessary adn
        they've never actually seen it happen. It's bloody expensive to do
        (you have to get a whole new SI board,not just the battery) so I'm
        hesitant unless it's really necessary.

        I can't wait - 1 week from today & I'll have my very own e28! next
        step is to join the BMW owners club.

        Cheers,

        Andrew

      • ken@kenholyoak.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 20, 2004
          AL

          Here is where I got mine rebuilt – they are great ask for Steve the owner

          http://www.dashusa.com/euro_imports.htm

          Ken

          Thanks Martin - I think I'll do the Euro Car Parts route.
          apparently all e28 tanks are prone to rotting.  bummer.  All I need
          now is a garage who aren't total cowboys to put it in.

          There's also a small (1.5 square inch) rust patch under the nearside
          wheelarch, but that's all.  I think that should be OK.

          The other raging debate is the SI indicator - which is
          intermittent.  Some say it is imperative I replace the whole board
          as the NiCad battery might leak all over the dash electrics, but
          some owners (including the BMW garage) say this is not necessary adn
          they've never actually seen it happen.  It's bloody expensive to do
          (you have to get a whole new SI board,not just the battery) so I'm
          hesitant unless it's really necessary.

          I can't wait - 1 week from today & I'll have my very own e28! next
          step is to join the BMW owners club.

          Cheers,

          Andrew

          --- In bmwe28@..., "Martin Heath" <daktari@s...> wrote:
          > You can get a new pattern tank from euro car parts. £77 + The
          dreaded VAT. I
          > just got one myself. :-)
          > Martin

        • andrew thomson
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 20, 2004
            Ken,

            Thanks for that but, erm, a little bit far to go - I'm in London, England.
            I assume the e28's don't take too kindly to 3000 miles of saltwater :)

            Thanks though!

            Andrew

            Here is where I got mine rebuilt � they are great ask for Steve the owner

            http://www.dashusa.com/euro_imports.htm

            Ken

            Thanks Martin - I think I'll do the Euro Car Parts route.�
            apparently all e28 tanks are prone to rotting.� bummer.� All I need
            now is a garage who aren't total cowboys to put it in.

            There's also a small (1.5 square inch) rust patch under the nearside
            wheelarch, but that's all.� I think that should be OK.

            The other raging debate is the SI indicator - which is
            intermittent.� Some say it is imperative I replace the whole board
            as the NiCad battery might leak all over the dash electrics, but
            some owners (including the BMW garage) say this is not necessary adn
            they've never actually seen it happen.� It's bloody expensive to do
            (you have to get a whole new SI board,not just the battery) so I'm
            hesitant unless it's really necessary.

            I can't wait - 1 week from today & I'll have my very own e28! next
            step is to join the BMW owners club.�

            Cheers,

            Andrew

            --- In bmwe28@..., "Martin Heath" <daktari@s...> wrote:
            > You can get a new pattern tank from euro car parts. �77 + The
            dreaded VAT. I
            > just got one myself. :-)
            > Martin

            � To visit your group on the web, go to:

            � To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

            � Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

          • ken@kenholyoak.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 20, 2004
              Try shipping just the dash module easy to remove - there may be someone over
              there who does the same work but I found them very reasonable and they knew
              what they were doing

              Here is where I got mine rebuilt – they are great ask for Steve the owner

              http://www.dashusa.com/euro_imports.htm

              Ken

              Thanks Martin - I think I'll do the Euro Car Parts route.
              apparently all e28 tanks are prone to rotting.  bummer.  All I need
              now is a garage who aren't total cowboys to put it in.

              There's also a small (1.5 square inch) rust patch under the nearside
              wheelarch, but that's all.  I think that should be OK.

              The other raging debate is the SI indicator - which is
              intermittent.  Some say it is imperative I replace the whole board
              as the NiCad battery might leak all over the dash electrics, but
              some owners (including the BMW garage) say this is not necessary adn
              they've never actually seen it happen.  It's bloody expensive to do
              (you have to get a whole new SI board,not just the battery) so I'm
              hesitant unless it's really necessary.

              I can't wait - 1 week from today & I'll have my very own e28! next
              step is to join the BMW owners club.

              Cheers,

              Andrew

              --- In bmwe28@..., "Martin Heath" <daktari@s...> wrote:
              > You can get a new pattern tank from euro car parts. £77 + The
              dreaded VAT. I
              > just got one myself. :-)
              > Martin

            • justin2411uk
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 21, 2004
                Martin

                I need to do the same with my 1986 525i - how easy do you reckon it
                is to replace the fuel tank yourself - or would you recommend getting
                someone else to do it?

                Justin

                --- In bmwe28@..., "Martin Heath" <daktari@s...> wrote:
                > You can get a new pattern tank from euro car parts. £77 + The
                dreaded VAT. I
                > just got one myself. :-)
                > Martin

              • Les
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 21, 2004
                  Or if you're feeling brave, it's not too difficult to do yourself with a
                  soldering iron, instructions are here -
                  http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/sil.html

                  Should be able to get the batteries from somewhere like Maplins or RS or
                  Tandy.

                  Good luck

                  Les.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 21, 2004
                    Thanks guys. Much obliged. I'll give it a go.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 21, 2004
                      Radio Shack has the batteries with the solder lugs on - about $7 US for a
                      pair.

                      That’s where I started - it may solve the problem - if not I would go to
                      Steve at Dash or someone else like him as I spent about $400 before I found
                      him and nothing else I tried worked.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 22, 2004
                        that's cool. I'll order that. Worst comes to worst I suppose I can get the
                        battery, fling it over to an independent garage & get them to do it.

                        I'm not exactly a mechanical guru.

                        AT

                        http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger