Heater valve control

  • nico_visser100
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2004
      I Ahve a 1986 520i with a problem on the heater valve control, well I
      suspect that. When the top and bottom air vents inside the car is
      open it pushes in hot air all the time.I have had the valve
      controller replaced with a 2nd hand part because initially it did not
      let any hot air into the cabin and now it never stops! I have checked
      the heater control knob inside the car but only get 12V or 0V readout
      on my multimeter at the plug connection when turning the knob.
      Can anyone help please?I only recently aquired the car and have to
      learn a lot.

      Thanks,
      Nico (South Africa)
    • Doug Dykaar
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 25, 2004
        Nico,

        The voltage will oscillate w/ a few second duty cycle only when you're right
        at the set temperature. When my valve failed, it would cycle hot and cold at
        random. Amazingly, its a trivial part to replace, being located at the top
        rear, drivers side of the engine bay. Normally any broken part requires the
        car to be removed from the part, but only after removing (and breaking) a
        bunch of other unrelated stuff that later turns out to have been uneccessary
        to remove ib the first place but seemed like a good idea at the time...

        Regards,

        doug
        85 e28 535i