RE: [bmw e28] What have I done?

  • Ben Broke-Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2004
      Excellent choice! I've been considering an identical set for quite some
      time, but due to my car's jacking points deciding they want to sprout holes
      I just can't afford new wheels right now.

      They'll fit just fine with 225/50/16, which was original fitment to M5s and
      a really good choice. I imagine they'd be ok with 205/55/16s too if you
      wanted but there's not much point since the 225s should be perfect.

      Shod with some nice 225s they'll really look the dogs dangly bits. :)

      I have heard that E38 wheels combined with certain tyres can be a little
      close on the front shock towers, but if they are then you'll only require
      some very small spacers on the front, and I do know of numerous cars with
      those exact wheels, 225s and no spacers.

      Hope this helps you out!

      Cheers,

      Ben

      >From: Craig Newman <mrcleggsbike@...>
      >To: BMW E28 Group <bmwe28@...>
      >Subject: [bmw e28] What have I done?
      >Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:21:27 +0000 (GMT)
      >
      >I've just picked up a set of E34/E39 16 inch alloys to avoid
      >buying metric tyres in fact these very ones...
      >
      >http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2462384896&category=28648&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1
      >
      >The tyres on them are 235/60/16 way to big for my E28 and as the
      >buyer said "bald" but the wheels are 8J. 225/50/16 would provide
      >the correct overall diameter and IIRC fit nicely on the 8 inch
      >wheel but will 8Js fit OK or do I need to start looking for some
      >spacers??
      >Obviously I'd like to know before I buy tyres!
      >
      >To be honest it never occured to me to ask the width before I
      >bought them and as they're in excellent condition I would like
      >to keep and use them not just try and sell them on!
      >
      >Advice much appreciated.
      >
      >Cheers
      >Craig

      >Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping"
      >your friends today! Download Messenger Now
      >http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html

      http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
    • Martin Heath
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
        Hi Paul
        Dont know if this is much use to youbut i bought a set of modular M5 wheels
        for my e28 M535i they were originally fitted to an e34 M5 that had 235/45x17
        fronts and 255/40x17 rears. They fitted ok apart from the rears on maximum
        suspension compression. I changed all four tyres to 225/45x17 and problem
        solved. No clearance probs at all. I would imagine that they are a similar
        offset to yours as they are 8 inch rims and designed specifically for the
        e34.
        Hope this helps.