RE: [bmw e28] E28/M535i...ingnition barrel/key fault.

  • Ben Broke-Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 14, 2004
      Hi Ben,

      I'm afraid I can't help you with the key issue, but the first thing that
      springs to mind is have you tried jiggling the steering wheel while turning
      the key?? Silly suggestion I know but it could just be the steering lock
      holding everything up...?

      With regards to wheels and tyres. I would replace the M535i TRXs with 15s,
      16s or 17s, depending on what you want. Have a look on Ebay, I should think
      for direct replacement you want either a set of 15s from an E34 or E32,
      preferably with 205/60/15s or 225/55/15s. If they have 225/60/15s from being
      on the E34(5 series 88-95)/32(7 series 86-94) then they should fit, just the
      speedo will read a very marginal amount lower and they'll look a bit too
      "chunky" for the car. you find a set of wheels with those tyres.

      Alternatively, and this is what I would go for in keeping with the M535i's
      character, you could get 16s, there are some really nice sets of 16s from
      the E38 7 series (94-01/2?) and from the 8 series that will fit beautifully
      with 225/50/16s.

      Be aware that the bigger the wheels you pick, the more sensitive the car
      will become to flaws in the suspension bushings etc, and also more sensitive
      to wheel balance.

      Wheels from the 3 series won't fit without huge (2cm) spacers, as they're
      the wrong offset.

      Incidentally, if I were replacing my wheels (I will do eventually, �s
      permitting) I'd go for 17s, but I'm looking to set up my car as a bit of a
      go-kart for track use and ultimate handling ability.

      Hope that helps you out a bit!

      Cheers,

      Ben - 1987 E28 525i

      >From: "axh558" <bentabor150@...>
      >To: bmwe28@...
      >Subject: [bmw e28] E28/M535i...ingnition barrel/key fault.
      >Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 08:42:21 -0000
      >
      >I brought a M535i yesterday she`s not 100% cosmic wise ..but she
      >drives 100%.But when i went out to start her this morning the key
      >would not turn all the way round to start,then on the second attempt
      >the key would not turn at all!
      >Does this sound like a new barrel/key or both or am i missing
      >something like a hidden button/switch on the steering lock.
      >I only have one set of keys and there is no key numbers.Key is fine
      >in all doors.
      >
      >I know the net is not the sort of place to ask such things but:is
      >there a way around this untill i can get her fixed as i need the car
      >for work(i think it wise to direct e-mail me if you have any info on
      >the over riding barrel and key)also replacement parts for lock and
      >barrel where and how much aprox??
      >Its also on the original TRX-metric wheels,what inch wheels do i need
      >to look for to replace them(i will need two trx tyres in a couple of
      >months or so/TOO EXPENSIVE!!!!).
      >
      >Thanks inadvance,and also a great group,glad i found it!
      >
      >Ben Tabor

      http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
    • ben tabor
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 14, 2004
        I have tried everything short of a hammer!
        Thanks for the wheel/tyre information,i will get on to that(if she ever runs
        again!).

        http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
      • andrew thomson
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 15, 2004
          sounds very simple, I know, but worth making sure you're moving the steering
          wheel while turning the key to overcome the steering lock?

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 18, 2004
            I just went through a painful experience on my 1985
            535i (12/84 mfg date) with the lock and ignition.

            1. I had a similar no start situation.
            2. The wheel is touch - sometimes at certain positions
            of the wheel the car would not start, still does this.
            3. I read up via Bently and did online research.
            4. I thought the problem was in the key cylinder.
            5. I bought a new key cylinder and proceeded to drill
            the old one out. I have no clue how you can get these
            out w/o drilling them out.
            6. With my new lock cylinder, the problem was still
            the same - no start.
            7. the Ignition switch was bad, that is the plastic
            part with the wire harness on the opposite side of the
            key. That only comes in and out if you bend the steel
            on the top of the steering column. Miserable job.
            8. So all is fine now, but still some wheel positions
            result in "no-start". This is fine, just turn the
            wheel.
            9. I have to comment on the strength of the ignition
            parts - no way can you mess with them - sheer bolts
            hold on the upper steel steering cover.

            My advice is check the ignition switch - plastic part
            not the key part and turn the wheel to start the car.

            Ron Kall

          • axh558
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 19, 2004
              I have now removed the ignition barrel and steering lock and i have
              got to say i found it very very easy,in fact worryingly too easy(i
              can see who joy riders do there stuff so quickly now!!)But i will not
              post details here!!
              I will of course need to replace the lock and barrel,how much for a
              lock and barrel...anyone?
              Or would it be cheaper to go to a breakers a try and get a upper
              column with a barrel and key?
              Any E12-28 upper coloumn fit??I suspect so..but would like to make
              sure first!!

              Thanks for all previous advice!

              Many regards:Ben
            • Mark Woodhouse
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 19, 2004
                Hi Ben
                Where abouts are you?
                I will have a complete colum if you are interested.
                I am in Preston Lancs
                Mark. germanauto@...