Ignition barrell (keyswitch) problem

  • Iain Simpson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 20, 2004
      Yep, I've gone and done it, snapped the key in the ignition.
      Approximately 2/3 of the key is now lodged in the barrell. I didn't
      think this would be a problem so I phoned my local locksmith to see
      if they could extract the key. I'm told they can only do this if the
      iginition will still turn, but in my case the steering lock is on, so
      it doesn't. Does anyone know if this is correct?

      So now your all saying why not just replace the iginition barrell?
      Well to do so you have to remove the steering wheel, trouble is the
      steering wheel can't be removed while the steering lock is on!!

      So 2 questions really :-

      Can the key be extracted without turning the ignition?

      if not,

      Can the steering wheel be removed without dis-engaging the steering
      lock.

      Or if anyone else has any ideas how I might solve this problem please
      let me know!!

      Iain

      (Oh by the way, its a UK spec 518i, if that matters)
    • jonny-bravo@tiscali.co.uk
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 20, 2004
        Iain,
        I've done a few jobs along these lines for customers (I run a key cutting
        etc. service here in s shropshire) and you can normally do something about
        it. either pull the remnant out with pointy pliers, if the snapped end is
        still visible (flush or a bit more with the face of the lock barrel) or
        be brave and push the rest of the key in all the way (check its the same
        way round as when you broke it or it wont quite fit) and extract the barrel
        in the normal way. doing this should allow you to at least start and run
        the car if you need to get it out of the way, or someting.
        Good luck (& buy some really nice pliers),

        John Middleton

        zender kitted '83 520i

        Broadband from an unbeatable £15.99!

        http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broadband/home.html?code=SM-NL-11AM
      • jonny-bravo@tiscali.co.uk
        Message 3 of 3 , May 13, 2004
          Just sending this on:

          Hi Jonny

          I cant post to the group from this address but can you tell him that if
          he is checking the auto fluid to do it when it is warm, also to make
          sure it isnt black. Am pretty sure even the older auto beemers use the
          purple stuff sililar to Dexon so it should be a reddish purple colour...
          Black would indicate worn out fluid...

          Mike