Engine Surge

  • allenwb44
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2004
      I have a 1985 528e that while accelerating has a engine rpm surge
      that goes up and down in rpms. Its not really a hesitation. Surges
      through the entire process of accelerating until I reach my desired
      speed of normally 75 mph. Once I level off of the accelerator it
      seems OK. Any help will be appreciated.
    • jonny-bravo@tiscali.co.uk
      Message 2 of 3 , May 12, 2004
        Allen(?),
        I guess this must be a gearbox problem, rather than engine. If it were a
        manual, I would suggest clutch slip, but the e's are all auto, aren't they?
        Have you checked the condition and level of the ATF?

        Jonny
        (520i zender kit("the pimpmobile"))

        http://eur.rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12adu7u56/M=125884.1859648.3361824.1784667/D=ukclubs/S=1690064660:HM/EXP=1084421243/A=950192/R=0/?http://uk.yahoo.com
        -->
        ><script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="http://uk.adserver.yahoo.com/a?f=1690064660:HM&p=ukclubs&l=HM&c=fm&site-country=uk&t=1084334843">
        ></script></td>
        >
        ><!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->
        >

        ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

        ><tt><hr width="500">
        ><ul>
        Terms of Service</a>.
        ></ul>
        ></tt>
        >
        ><!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

        Broadband from an unbeatable £15.99!

        http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broadband/home.html?code=SM-NL-11AM
      • Ron Kall
        Message 3 of 3 , May 18, 2004
          I could use some help understanding this:

          1986
          250k miles
          running great
          just did valve adjustment, rotor, d-cap,
          plugs and wires are six months old

          car runs better than it ever has in its past
          gentle idle.

          for the first time ever, it hesitates when it
          gets gas when the engine is a little cold. is
          this normal or the sign of things to come.

          Ron Kall

          1986 528e
          1985 535i
          1978 320i