front end shimmy.

  • milkandcereal10
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11, 2004
      hey guys.

      i've got an '85 535i that has a horrible shimmy up
      front when i approach 45 miles per hour. i've had both
      right and left lower tie rods replaced and the idler
      arm and bushing with it. the whole front end really
      shakes hard when i hit between 45 and 50 mph. i do
      have hartge 16 inch rims on it. they've been on the
      car the 3 years i've had it. would that cause the
      shimmy? anyone ever run into this problem? thanks.

      andy.
    • Sumain
      Message 2 of 5 , May 11, 2004
        Check if the wheels are hub-centred or not.

        The weight of the car should be borne by the wheel hub and not the lugs.
        The hub hole in the wheel should be a snug fit on the wheel hub. In case
        there is a gap, you will need adapters to fill the space.

        Cheers

        Sumain

        _____

        <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html> of Service.

      • iain@535se.co.uk
        Message 3 of 5 , May 12, 2004
          I used to get this when my lower control arms were worn out, worth checking
          but if you do replace them don't get aftermarket copies as they won't last
          more than 12 months.

          "Sumain" <sumain@...> wrote:

          > Check if the wheels are hub-centred or not.
          >
          > The weight of the car should be borne by the wheel hub and not the lugs.
          > The hub hole in the wheel should be a snug fit on the wheel hub. In case
          > there is a gap, you will need adapters to fill the space.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Sumain

        • sheetfar
          Message 4 of 5 , May 12, 2004
            Andy,

            PROBLEM:
            The Germans have a design flaw in the e28 series. The front end
            tends to shake from 60 to 45 mph under light to moderate braking. As
            parts wear, the car will shake without the excitation from braking.
            In other words, left unchanged, the problem will get worse and go
            from a minor irritation to a situation that affects confidence and,
            in some cases, safety.

            SOLUTION:
            Replace both upper control arm bushings (those towards the rear of
            the car) with new ones made for the 1988 750iL with the v12 engine.
            The BMW part number is 31 12 1 136 607. You can get these online for
            a small price. The v12 bushing will have to be modified in order to
            fit into the e28 chassis. I have a detailed drawing available with
            the dimensions that I used on two of my e28 BMW's, if you wish to do
            this.

            THEORY:
            Technically, the v12 bushings are stiffer than the existing ones
            designed for the e28. Consequently, the v12 bushings reduce the
            amount of the shaking (amplitude) and make the vibrations, if any,
            take place between 74 to about 60 mph (increase in resonant
            frequency).

            -Russell

            --- In bmwe28@..., milkandcereal10 <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:
            > hey guys.
            >
            > i've got an '85 535i that has a horrible shimmy up
            > front when i approach 45 miles per hour. i've had both
            > right and left lower tie rods replaced and the idler
            > arm and bushing with it. the whole front end really
            > shakes hard when i hit between 45 and 50 mph. i do
            > have hartge 16 inch rims on it. they've been on the
            > car the 3 years i've had it. would that cause the
            > shimmy? anyone ever run into this problem? thanks.
            >
            > andy.
          • sfj642
            Message 5 of 5 , May 12, 2004
              This shimmy is a standard problem with the E28 - the
              other contributors are correct and have given good advice.

              BUT also consider the effect of a warped brake disc. If the shimmy
              occurs as you SLOW DOWN through the critical speeds then check ALL
              discs (can be done at a testing station in the UK very quickly).

              On mine, one of the rear discs was way out of true and one of the
              fronts a little out of true. (Don't forget that the pulses from the
              rear brakes can be fed through to a front brake) - anyway after
              replacing all four discs the problem totally disappeared.

              That was 20,000 miles ago and it hasn't returned.

              Hope this helps - Jim Butterworth