Metal Brake and Fuel line size(s)

  • Doug Dykaar
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2004
      List,

      I was told I need to replace all the metal lines that run front to rear on
      my 85 e28 535 due to corrosion. The outsides of the tubes all look pretty
      crappy.

      Can someone tell me the ID/OD of the lines? My panzer mechanic yelled at me
      for touching them, last time the car was on the lift.

      I'm thinking of replacing all the tubes with stainless. Any opinions?

      Regards,

      Doug
    • iain@535se.co.uk
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2004
        Doug,

        A popular option is to replace your Brake lines with Copper, which can
        normally be bought off the shelf and is a standard size. I am not sure what
        the diameters are for the Fuel lines and I suspect that getting something
        suitable in stainless is going to be very expensive.

        There is a firm in the UK called automec (www.automec.co.uk) who sell brake
        line kits for most cars. A set suitable for a 535 would be around £50
        sterling so I guess around $90 - 95US.

        Iain

        "Doug Dykaar" <ddykaar@...> wrote:

        > List,
        >
        > I was told I need to replace all the metal lines that run front to rear on
        > my 85 e28 535 due to corrosion. The outsides of the tubes all look pretty
        > crappy.
        >
        > Can someone tell me the ID/OD of the lines? My panzer mechanic yelled at me
        > for touching them, last time the car was on the lift.
        >
        > I'm thinking of replacing all the tubes with stainless. Any opinions?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Doug

        > http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html

      • Doug Dykaar
        Message 3 of 5 , May 14, 2004
          Iain,

          Copper sounds a little soft to me, not to mention issues of differential
          metal corrosion. Must not rain where you live...

          I can get metal tubing at the auto local parts store, but I may have a line
          on stainless for cheap. The automec site didn't much, well any real
          information.

          Regards,

          doug

          _

          Message 4 of 5 , May 14, 2004
            I think you'd be surprised by just how durable copper brake lines can be.
            Certainly they are easy to shape and flexible enough to bend around obsticles
            etc. I agree that differential metal corrosion could be an issue given enough
            time, but I know of a vahicle that had a set of copper brake lines installed
            in 1982 (a w115 series merc) and they are still solid today.

            Having said that if you can get stainless cheaply and maufactured to the
            required shape etc then go for it.

            Iain

            "Doug Dykaar" <ddykaar@...> wrote:

            > Iain,
            >
            > Copper sounds a little soft to me, not to mention issues of differential
            > metal corrosion. Must not rain where you live...
            >
            > I can get metal tubing at the auto local parts store, but I may have a line
            > on stainless for cheap. The automec site didn't much, well any real
            > information.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > doug

            > _
            >
            > Doug,
            >
            > A popular option is to replace your Brake lines with Copper, which can
            > normally be bought off the shelf and is a standard size. I am not sure what
            > the diameters are for the Fuel lines and I suspect that getting something
            > suitable in stainless is going to be very expensive.
            >
            > There is a firm in the UK called automec (www.automec.co.uk) who sell brake
            > line kits for most cars. A set suitable for a 535 would be around £50
            > sterling so I guess around $90 - 95US.
            >
            > Iain

            > http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html

          • Ed MacVaugh
            Message 5 of 5 , May 14, 2004
              Here in the US, brake lines must not be copper because copper hardens
              over time due to flexing and vibration and will crack.

              Ed