obc/speedo don't work

  • sheetfar
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 14, 2004
      I have a 1986 528e with a manual transmission.

      Recently, the following things have started to malfunction:

      * Speedometer doesn't work.

      * White-needle vacuum gage (located just below tach) doesn't work.

      * On Board Computer OBC works except for the fuel consumption &
      driving speed (MPG & MPH buttons).

      After driving the car for 20 minutes or so, the vacuum gage starts
      cycling on/off every 2 seconds. Eventually, the speedometer might
      work after the vac gage starts working properly.

      I replaced the expansion valve on the A/C evaporator last month.
      However, everything (all instruments were checked) worked fine after
      that.

      The most recent work was done several days ago on the rear axle
      portion of the car. If the differential transducer has a bad
      connection or has malfunctioned, could it cause any of the
      speedo/vac gage/OBC problems?
    • Joel Trevino Gonzalez
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 14, 2004
        Most definitely check out the area where work was done as your speedometer doesn't work correctly. Check and make sure everything is tighten up correctly and that the wires are connected back correctly to the correct screw towers/connection points.
        How long has your speedometer not been working? Did it happen right after that work on the car? Did you go over some debris on the road that might have put it out of order?

        I hope this helps somewhat,

        Joel Gonzalez

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 14, 2004
          Here is the link to dashusa.com best rebuilder of BMW dashes I have found.
          Send him the entire cluster and he can fix. I spent several hundred dollars
          and a lot of time screwing around before I found him and none of the other
          fixes worked.

          He was good and fast and it worked when he was done

          http://www.dashusa.com/euro_imports.htm

          Kenneth. H. Holyoak

          Information + Insight = Profit

          POB 68633

          Indianapolis, IN 46268-0633

          ken@...

          317-253-7000

          _____

          <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html> of Service.

        • ken@kenholyoak.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 14, 2004
            The door lock cylinder fell out of the drivers door. Inside the door was a
            very small spring and something that looks like it could have attached to
            the cylinder.

            Any idea where I can find another lock set and have it work with the
            original key?

            Kenneth. H. Holyoak

            Information + Insight = Profit

            POB 68633

            Indianapolis, IN 46268-0633

            ken@...

            317-253-7000

          • steve
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 14, 2004
              Try replacing the SIL batteries in the guage cluster. I have done several
              times myself. These rechargeable batteries die after awhile requiring new
              ones to be soldered in. As an aircraft engineer by trade, I troubleshoot and
              repair all day long and I like to repair audio/electronic equipment in my
              spare time. I will replace them for $70us (including parts,supplies, and
              operational test-drive in my own e28) plus shipping. Not very hard to do,
              but extremely easy to screw up-$$$$! If you're not sure, Don't Do It!
              Good Luck
              Steve from BC
              1987 535i
              > Here is the link to dashusa.com best rebuilder of BMW dashes I have found.
              > Send him the entire cluster and he can fix. I spent several hundred
              dollars
              > and a lot of time screwing around before I found him and none of the other
              > fixes worked.
              >

              > He was good and fast and it worked when he was done
              >

              > http://www.dashusa.com/euro_imports.htm
              >

              > Kenneth. H. Holyoak
              >
              > Information + Insight = Profit
              >
              > POB 68633
              >
              > Indianapolis, IN 46268-0633
              >

              > ken@...
              >
              > 317-253-7000

            • Paul Sharp
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 15, 2004
                Hi,

                Definately check out the speed transmitter on the rear
                differential as it will affect the speedometer and
                ecometer guages. I had an 86 528i with the same fault
                and changed the speed transmitter in the diff and
                fault cleared. Hope that helps you.

                Paul Sharp,

                Aylsham, Norfolk

                --- sheetfar <sheetfar@...> wrote: > I

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 15, 2004
                  Paul,

                  Thanks for the help. I got back under the car and found one of the
                  wires had a loose connection to the differential sensor. I tightened
                  up the connectors, plugged them back in, and tested it with the car
                  up on jack stands. Everything is ok now.

                  Next, I shall attack the A/C problem (message# 2460). At least I
                  have one of the problems solved...

                  -Russ

                  --- In bmwe28@..., Paul Sharp <beemerbat@y...> wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Definately check out the speed transmitter on the rear
                  > differential as it will affect the speedometer and
                  > ecometer guages. I had an 86 528i with the same fault
                  > and changed the speed transmitter in the diff and
                  > fault cleared. Hope that helps you.
                  >
                  > Paul Sharp,
                  >
                  > Aylsham, Norfolk
                  >
                  > --- sheetfar <sheetfar@w...> wrote: > I
                  > have a 1986 528e with a manual transmission.
                  > >
                  > > Recently, the following things have started to
                  > > malfunction:
                  > >
                  > > * Speedometer doesn't work.
                  > >
                  > > * White-needle vacuum gage (located just below tach)
                  > > doesn't work.
                  > >
                  > > * On Board Computer OBC works except for the fuel
                  > > consumption &
                  > > driving speed (MPG & MPH buttons).
                  > >
                  > > After driving the car for 20 minutes or so, the
                  > > vacuum gage starts
                  > > cycling on/off every 2 seconds. Eventually, the
                  > > speedometer might
                  > > work after the vac gage starts working properly.
                  > >
                  > > I replaced the expansion valve on the A/C evaporator
                  > > last month.
                  > > However, everything (all instruments were checked)
                  > > worked fine after
                  > > that.
                  > >
                  > > The most recent work was done several days ago on
                  > > the rear axle
                  > > portion of the car. If the differential transducer
                  > > has a bad
                  > > connection or has malfunctioned, could it cause any
                  > > of the
                  > > speedo/vac gage/OBC problems?
                • Wesley Clark

                    > Here is the link to dashusa.com best rebuilder of BMW dashes I have found.
                    > Send him the entire cluster and he can fix. I spent several hundred
                    dollars
                    > and a lot of time screwing around before I found him and none of the other
                    > fixes worked.
                    >

                    > He was good and fast and it worked when he was done
                    >

                    > http://www.dashusa.com/euro_imports.htm
                    >

                    > Kenneth. H. Holyoak
                    >
                    > Information + Insight = Profit
                    >
                    > POB 68633
                    >
                    > Indianapolis, IN 46268-0633
                    >

                    > ken@...
                    >
                    > 317-253-7000

                  • coolman41
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 15, 2004
                      -- those batteries in the instrument cluster are to keep the memory
                      for the service indicator lights , and have nothing to do with the
                      speedometer, in fact you can remove that board from the cluster throw
                      it in the garbage and your speedometer will still function.