Anyone have 17 inch wheels?

  • landonharlan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 18, 2004
      Recently purchased an 88 535is as a second car. Was considering
      placing 17-inch rims (the mesh, classic kind that can be found on
      late model 528's). This has been ill-advised from a highly reputable
      BMW service center, however, they believe this to be my primary car.
      I would like to know who else has 17 inch wheels, how the ride is and
      possibly what changes you made to ensure that the ride quality was
      not too harsh. Appreciate any and all feed back.

      Landon
      San Diego, CA
    • Craig Newman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 18, 2004
        Hello Landon
        >considering placing 17-inch rims
        >This has been ill-advised from a highly reputable BMW service
        >center... would like to know who else has 17 inch wheels, how
        >the ride is and possibly what changes you made to ensure that
        >the ride quality was not too harsh.
        I've got 17 inch wheels on my 520i (wife's commuting car) they
        have a slight deep dish appearance and therefore needed no
        spacers and don't cause any problems regarding space etc. When I
        got the wheels they were wearing bald 255/40s these also fitted
        on the rear anyway, without any problem.

        As for the tyres I have 205/50s on the front and 215/45s on the
        rear, the suspension is standard unless altered by a previous
        owner but I don't think so, the ride comfort is in my opinion no
        different to the metrics that were fitted but the handling is
        vastly improved.
        It's wasn't that noticable until I changed them over but in
        comparison the metric tyres were quite wallowey (is that a
        word?) and had virtually no grip.
        The bigger wheels have certainly improved the looks and the
        combination of big wheels and good rubber has made the handling
        excellent even when pushing it in the wet, the only thing I miss
        is the sideways habit on roundabouts.

        I've got 16" wheels wearing 225/50s on my 528i and the ride
        quality is comparable to the 520i again no problems with space
        etc so don't just think in terms of 17" wheels. If you've
        lowered the car I don't think you'd be able to run any tyres
        much wider than 205s as widthwise there isn't much room around
        the 16 or 17 inch wheels.

        If I can find my digi camera I'll chuck a photo of the 2 cars in
        the pictures section.

        Good luck with the wheels

        =====
        MrClegg
        Newsletter Editor - Northumbria Advanced Motorcyclists
        www.NAM-Online.org

      • Ed MacVaugh
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 18, 2004
          I have the same year M5 with later model M5 17" rims on it. The ones you
          are suggesting should ride the same, which is slightly more harshly than
          stock, but instant turn response as opposed to the original TRX wheels
          ns tires.

          Make certain the ones you use have aluminum hubcentric rings in them as
          the later model cars used a larger hub than the E28

          Ed

          landonharlan wrote:

          > Recently purchased an 88 535is as a second car. Was considering
          > placing 17-inch rims (the mesh, classic kind that can be found on
          > late model 528's). This has been ill-advised from a highly reputable
          > BMW service center, however, they believe this to be my primary car.
          > I would like to know who else has 17 inch wheels, how the ride is and
          > possibly what changes you made to ensure that the ride quality was
          > not too harsh. Appreciate any and all feed back.
          >
          > Landon
          > San Diego, CA

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > Service <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html>.

        • michael gray
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 18, 2004
            I hope you plan to upgrade your calipers with the
            heavier wheels

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • daktari

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 22, 2004
                Thank you Martin!
                daktari <daktari@...> wrote:Got 17's on my M535i. came off BMW e34 M5. fitted with 225/45 tyres no problems whatsoever.
                Martin

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 22, 2004
                  Ive got 17" A C S wheels on my 88 M5 running 225/50/17 on front and 235/45/17 on back.
                  Never had any problems.