Batteries in dash behind the odometer...

  • purplehead2002
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2004
      What do the batteries in the dash do? Do they control the
      vacuum control, miles per mile economy instrument, and other items?
      I suspect that the batteries are shot but I have not gotten behind
      the dash to change them out yet.
      Are they common run of the mill batteries or specifically
      B.M.W. part numbers that I need to obtain from them? How many of
      them too do I need to change out?

      Thank you for your time,

      Joel T. Gonzalez
      San Antonio, TX. (U.S.A.)
      (83) 528e
    • sheetfar
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2004
        There are two AA rechargeable batteries. You need the type with
        solder lugs on the ends. Several possibilities are:

        What I used:
        Panasonic # P-80AAS (Ni-Cd 800mAh/1.2v KR-15/51)

        Another possibility:
        Radio Shack # 23-191
        1.25V/600mAH Ni-Cd Battery w/Tabs

        The batteries control the service interval lights (green/yellow/red)
        that tell you when to change the oil, etc.

        If you want to read a bunch more about it, look at
        www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/sil.html

        --- In bmwe28@..., "purplehead2002"
        <purplehead2002@y...> wrote:
        > What do the batteries in the dash do? Do they control the
        > vacuum control, [fuel] economy instrument, and other items?
        >
        > I suspect that the batteries are shot, but I have not gotten
        > behind the dash to change them out yet.
        >
        > Are they common run-of-the-mill batteries or specific BMW part
        > numbers that I need? How many of them do I need?
        >
        > Thank you for your time,
        >
        > Joel T. Gonzalez
        > San Antonio, TX. (U.S.A.)
        > (83) 528e
      • Joel Trevino Gonzalez
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2004
          Thanks for the info. especially the part numbers as a Radio Shack is just down the street from me.

          Joel