Re: [bmw e28] Testing speed sensor % odometer sensor...

  • Steve Haygood
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 14, 2004
      it shows an on/off pattern when hooked up to the ohn meter as I recall
      Steve
      Keep It Runnin'
      www.stevehaygood.com
      Automobile Solutions
      BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 14, 2004
        Wow! So, would I approach it by jacking up the car and unplugging the connector, hooking up an ohmmeter, and at the same time spin one of the tires with my hand to see how the ohmmeter reacts?

        Thank you,

        Joel T. Gonzalez
        San Antonio, TX.
        (83) B.M.W. 528e

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 15, 2004
          any help:

          1986 528e

          Passenger side windshield wiper does not operate like
          the driver side. driver side works fine. passenger
          side if put about two inches up on the glass goes half
          way up and then falls down off the glass while the
          driver side wiper goes along fine. this tends to make
          me think that the motor is ok - not the grease thing
          that makes them jerky or whatever.

          p.s. i am running full syn oil now in the car. i have
          257k miles on it. i noticed that my gas mileage
          improved from about 28 mpg highway to about 31 mpg
          highway - 10% improvement, on the full syn oil, it
          smells different though, a bit surprising, but
          different.

          Ron Kall

          1986 528e
          1985 535i

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Steve Haygood
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 15, 2004
            tighten the nut on the wacky wiper

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 16, 2004
              Hi All,
              >- not the grease thing that makes them jerky or whatever.
              I've obviously missed this - what grease thing? My 520's wipers
              are fine but my 528's single and intermittant wipe is lethargic
              and jerky, however whilst on holiday (it rained 5 out of 7 days)
              they were fine after about the first 30 minutes, I thought it
              was because prior to that they hadn't been used much can someone
              explain to me about the grease thing?

              > p.s. i am running full syn oil now in the car. i noticed that
              > my gas mileage improved from about 28 mpg highway to about 31
              > mpg highway - 10% improvement
              I'm running both mine on semi synthetic (520 has 162K 528 has
              60K) and whilst I don't keep too close a record of costs I am
              now getting 15-20 miles extra per half tank on each.

              , on the full syn oil, it
              smells different though, a bit surprising, but
              different.

              Ron Kall

              1986 528e
              1985 535i

              c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
              of Service.

              Service.

              =====
              MrClegg
              Newsletter Editor - Northumbria Advanced Motorcyclists
              www.NAM-Online.org

            • Ron Kall
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 16, 2004
                Craig,

                I wish I had the link. There is some very detailed
                stuff online about removing the motor and wiping
                excess grease off the contacts. I can not find it,
                just do a internet search and check out the links. The
                Bently manual covers it as well. If all else fails,
                mail me next week and I'll see if I can scan the
                Bently manual for you.

                Ron Kall

                ronjkall@...

                1985 535i 154k miles

                1986 528e 257k miles

                ___________________________________________________________ALL-NEW
                > Yahoo! Messenger - sooooo many all-new ways to
                > express yourself http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              • john Gieringer
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 16, 2004
                  I had a similar issue with the wipers in my '85 535i. I pulled the wiper
                  relay out of the rear of the fuse box, removed the cover and re-soldered the
                  pins to the circuit board. All of them were barely connected and wobbly.
                  Now my wipers work as they are supposed to. You could also probably find a
                  good relay at the junk yard or on ebay.
                  John