New owner

  • po2squid
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 18, 2004
      I am a US military service member stationed in Europe and I just
      bought a 1980 E28! I am wondering if there are any web sites or
      anywhere I can get any info ie. engine specs for the car, if there
      are any performance upgrades, and what are the best ways to find
      aftermarket or OEM parts for the car. Also i would like to know if
      it will be worth it to take it back to the states when I transfer.
      Any info will be great!

      Thanks
      Clint
    • mark mogensen
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 18, 2004
        Hey congrats man!! I love these cars to death. I'm in the states and you have what all of us drool over, the euro bumpers.. lol. As far as taking it back to the states i would more than likely say no. The e28's are relatively cheap in europe and the transport and the legalizing of the car for US specs is quite expensive. I have heard of people importing cars and it costs around $5,000 after everything is done (this is the lowest i have seen so it could be more). If you really love that particular car, and its in exquisite condition and you don't mind the money go for it. Where exactly are you stationed? Germany? As far as upgrades you have many of the upgrades that we don't have. The euro cars were much better looking, they had more power, they are lighter and all around better. As far as the engine there are many upgrades available, there are ECU performance chips available, there are improved camshafts, you can bolt on a better head all together. You can tweak the exhaust, improved
        flow with cat back exhaust and headers. Body modifications are limited, besides the euro bumper the best looking and highest quality parts are the orignial M-teknic body kit. This was a dealer option part on the cars and it is VERY HIGH quality. I am actually in the process of purchasing this M-Teknic kit from a guy in London (Shipping is a real B!tch though) I would stray away from any aftermarket body kits, they are of cheaper quality and you can't go wrong with OEM. I hope i gave you a little insight, there are tons of modifications you can do to these cars, they truly were ahead of their time and are very well made.

        Mark M

      • clinton Hughes

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 19, 2004
            oh yea, totally forgot about the age of your car. My e28 is a 1988 model so i haven't reached that 25 years yet..lol. Get some pics when u get a chance.

            Mark

          • mark mogensen
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 19, 2004
              oh yea, totally forgot about the age of your car. My e28 is a 1988 model so i haven't reached that 25 years yet..lol. Get some pics when u get a chance.

              Mark

            • Gerald Paul
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 19, 2004
                Clint,
                I have been buying all sorts of parts for my '86 5351
                and '88 535is from Bavarian Auto Parts
                (www.bavauto.com), including performance chips.
                Jerry

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 19, 2004
                  Clint,
                  Also should have included about getting a Bentley
                  service manual, it is great.
                  Jerry