Front end shimmy

  • Tara
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 21, 2004
      Hello, now @ 48 to 52 mph intermitantly I have a bad shimy, what
      I've replaced- outer tie rod ends, lower controll arms (with ball
      joint) upper (heavy duty) thrust rod bushings, center link, idler arm,
      sway bar links, crazy amount of wheel balance configurations,
      rotates, no my tires are fine, also had road force balance, adjusted
      steering box, etc etc etc ,

      Here is the real info 84 533i standard height, 225/40/18 alpine oe
      wheels, yes its been aligned with and with out weight in car with full
      tank of gas and yes I have the proper wheel hub
      rings...............HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

      I am the service manager for a national repair chain, I know the work
      was done correctly. What in the Hell am I missing???? please help!

      Alex
    • Steve Cunningham
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 22, 2004
        Try Paul Gray upper control arm bushings. I just got a set off ebay. He is
        in Australia so it takes about 10 days for him to ship, but once I replaced
        them, I have no more shimmy. These bushings are urethane so they hold up
        better and don't need to be machined like the 750il bushings fix. Here is a
        link to a current auction:

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=791221270
        5&category=33583&sspagename=WDVW

        Steve

        From: "Tara" <anxietylad3@...>
        Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 05:21:29 -0000
        To: bmwe28@...
        Subject: [bmw e28] Front end shimmy

        Hello, now @ 48 to 52 mph intermitantly I have a bad shimy, what
        I've replaced- outer tie rod ends, lower controll arms (with ball
        joint) upper (heavy duty) thrust rod bushings, center link, idler arm,
        sway bar links, crazy amount of wheel balance configurations,
        rotates, no my tires are fine, also had road force balance, adjusted
        steering box, etc etc etc ,

        Here is the real info 84 533i standard height, 225/40/18 alpine oe
        wheels, yes its been aligned with and with out weight in car with full
        tank of gas and yes I have the proper wheel hub
        rings...............HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

        I am the service manager for a national repair chain, I know the work
        was done correctly. What in the Hell am I missing???? please help!

        Alex

        <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html> .

      • mark mogensen
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 22, 2004
          You got me, i have the same problem. I have switched out what seems to be the entire front end of my car and i still get a shimmy. I am trying smaller pieces here and there to try and fix it but as of now i still have to rough it out. I think ill start moving up to the steering box soon cause i have replaced all the links under the car. Good luck on yours and if i find a problem in mine ill give you a shout.

          Mark

        • steve
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 22, 2004
            I had the dreaded shimmy problem and solved it with upper and lower control
            arm bushings. After changing tie-rods, pitman arm, center link etc, etc.
            Good Luck
            Steve