Re: [bmw e28] towing

  • Wesley Clark
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7, 2004
      does your car have a automatic transmission? If so if it has not got a trans fluid cooler you might add one other wise that small a trailer should be no problem , just don't do any jack rabbit starts, for example don't race with your buddys honda, he will win and you will put more of a already strain on your drive train ie the transmission. keep motoring

      --- "Serg" <kserg@...> wrote:
      Hey guys, I was wondering, if I was to put towing package on 87 535i
      (later probably def. will be upgraded to 88) what's the most I can
      tow? I was think just small wagon for band gear,
      drums/cabs/amps/groupies... its nothing heavy...

      Has anyone done this... how bad is it for the car... can the car
      handle small towing doses... you know those smallest moving
      trailers... so drums/cabs/etc could fit...

      Thank you

      Cheers

    • Serg
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 15, 2004
        Its stick... no racing... probebly no fast driving... well not too
        fast, maybe 80mph tops prob less... I just mean if driving carefully
        is there still too much stress? or it be ok?

        Cheers

        --- In bmwe28@..., Wesley Clark <528bmw@t...> wrote:
        > does your car have a automatic transmission? If so if it has not
        got a trans fluid cooler you might add one other wise that small a
        trailer should be no problem , just don't do any jack rabbit starts,
        for example don't race with your buddys honda, he will win and you
        will put more of a already strain on your drive train ie the
        transmission. keep motoring

        > --- "Serg" <kserg@e...> wrote:
        > Hey guys, I was wondering, if I was to put towing package on 87
        535i
        > (later probably def. will be upgraded to 88) what's the most I can
        > tow? I was think just small wagon for band gear,
        > drums/cabs/amps/groupies... its nothing heavy...
        >
        > Has anyone done this... how bad is it for the car... can the car
        > handle small towing doses... you know those smallest moving
        > trailers... so drums/cabs/etc could fit...
        >

        > Thank you
        >
        > Cheers

        http://www.TechEmail.com
      • Bob Sutterfield
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 16, 2004
          I installed a hitch on our 535iS. It's made by Da'Lan for the US rear
          bumper. The BMW hitch will only work with the Euro rear bumper. The Da'Lan
          hitch provides a 1.25" receiver, with a standard carrier for a standard
          ball. BMW offers either a fixed or receiver style hitch for E28s. I prefer
          the receiver style so I can remove the carrier and ball, because I often
          knock my shins on the ball when it's in place.

          The Da'Lan hitch installation requires drilling two holes in the trunk floor
          (between the spare tire well and the rear valance) and two in the bottom of
          the rear bumper. This is nerve-wracking but not difficult, and the
          directions provided are simple and clear. I used a Reese wiring kit, which
          draws power from the taillights and turn signals, terminating in a flat
          four-pin connector. My wires ride in the spare tire well when not in use,
          and exit under the trunk lid beside the latch when needed. I decided not to
          drill another hole to bring the wire out more neatly beside the hitch; it
          doesn't bother me much to have it dangling over the license plate when the
          trailer is present.

          The BMW hitches are rated at 1800 kg draw weight which is 3968 lbs. The
          Da'Lan hitch is rated at 2000 lbs draw weight and 200 lbs hitch weight. We
          use it to pull our equipment trailer to events like driving schools and
          autocrosses. It carries eight mounted track tires/wheels (enough for her
          car and mine), tools, spare parts, fuel, coolant, air tank and compressor,
          floor jack, shade shelter, folding chairs, bicycle, cooler, all the
          necessities of life at the racetrack. It weighs less than 1000 lbs fully
          loaded and I can hitch/unhitch it and roll it limited distances around the
          paddock myself.

          Ours is an open trailer and rather low, so its wind drag is less than that
          of an enclosed box unit. I notice its effect on acceleration but it's not
          too bad. I have towed up to only about 100mph on the open highway so I
          haven’t tested its effect on top speed. The ride is affected, a different
          rhythm going over surface undulations, but not objectionable. Fuel use is
          greater at highway speeds, maybe 1 mile per gallon, difficult to measure.

          I don't have a trailer photo on a website but I can email it to anyone who
          might be interested.
          --
          Bob Sutterfield
          88 E28 535iS lachssilber-met