Water pump - 520i

  • Alan Myler - at home
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 16, 2004
      Help please.

      While changing the water pump on my 520i this evening (M20 engine)
      I managed to drop one of its bolts down past the timing belt and into
      the casing surrounding the belt's lower cogs. This casing is behind what
      I guess is the crankshaft pulley.

      To get that bolt out I need to remove that pulley and take off the
      plate that closes off the lower portion of the timing belt housing.

      Apart from considerations such as replacing the pulley in the same
      position afterwards, is this a tough job?

      There appear to be 6 or so 13mm bolts holding the pulley to what I
      premuse is the flywheel. No doubt they'll come off easily enough. But
      there's also the big nut/bolt/whatever that looks like it's attached
      to the end of the crankshaft? Is this torqued to a million lb.ft or
      does it come off easily? Is it a left or right hand thread?

      Advice gratefully accepted.

      Alan

      '87 520i
    • Joel Trevino Gonzalez
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 16, 2004
        Hey Alan,

        Have you tried using a long thin magnet to see what you might get? Look at your auto store for some long thin one with an extending handle for the magnet.

        Joel T. Gonzalez
        San Antonio, TX.
        (83) 528e

        Alan Myler - at home <amyler@...> wrote:
[...]

      • sheetfar
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 16, 2004
          On the e28 6 cylinder 2.7L BMW's...

          The crank bolt is not a standard item. It is BMW-designed and
          employs the bolt and washer as a complete unit. In other words, you
          can't buy one at any Nut-&-Bolt supplier.

          The hex on the bolt is 22mm. You have two "reasonable" options for
          removing it (the 3rd option is plastic explosives or HCl acid, I
          suppose).

          Option 1. Use/make a tool that holds the crank while allowing you to
          get the bolt out. BMW makes one of these, I suspect. (I also suspect
          it requires a substantial investment of cash to acquire.)

          Option 2. Use the engine/drivetrain to hold the crank while you
          remove the bolt. ASSUMING you have a manual transmission, put the
          car in 5th gear (not 1st) and pull up the emergency brakes. It is
          possible to break the bolt loose using a cheater bar on the ratchet
          handle IF the clutch doesn't slip.

          Your other question is the direction of the threads on the bolt. As
          I recall, the 22mm bolt on the end of the crank is a right-hand
          thread. (It's the large nut holding the radiator fan on that is left
          hand. I sometimes get the two mixed up.)

          -Russ

          --- In bmwe28@..., Alan Myler - at home <amyler@e...>
          wrote:
          > Help please.
          >
          > While changing the water pump on my 520i this evening (M20 engine)
          > I managed to drop one of its bolts down past the timing belt and
          > into the casing surrounding the belt's lower cogs.
          >
          > This casing is behind what I guess is the crankshaft pulley.
          >
          > To get that bolt out I need to remove that pulley and take off the
          > plate that closes off the lower portion of the timing belt housing.
          >
          > Apart from considerations such as replacing the pulley in the same
          > position afterwards, is this a tough job?
          >
          > There appear to be 6 or so 13mm bolts holding the pulley to what I
          > premuse is the flywheel. No doubt they'll come off easily enough.
          >
          > But here's also the big nut/bolt/whatever that looks like it's
          > attached to the end of the crankshaft. Is this torqued to a
          > million lb-ft or does it come off easily? Is it a left or right
          > hand thread?
          >
          > Advice gratefully accepted.
          >
          > Alan
          >
          > '87 520i
        • Alan Myler - at home
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 17, 2004
            Hi Joel,

            Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that.

            Alan

            Joel Trevino Gonzalez wrote:

            > Hey Alan,
            >
            > Have you tried using a long thin magnet to see what you might
            > get? Look at your auto store for some long thin one with an extending
            > handle for the magnet.
            >
            > Joel T.
            > Gonzalez
            > San
            > Antonio, TX.
            > (83) 528e
            >
            > Alan Myler - at home <amyler@...> wrote:
            > Help please.
            >
            > While changing the water pump on my 520i this evening (M20 engine)
            > I managed to drop one of its bolts down past the timing belt and into
            > the casing surrounding the belt's lower cogs. This casing is behind what
            > I guess is the crankshaft pulley.
            >
            > To get that bolt out I need to remove that pulley and take off the
            > plate that closes off the lower portion of the timing belt housing.
            >
            > Apart from considerations such as replacing the pulley in the same
            > position afterwards, is this a tough job?
            >
            > There appear to be 6 or so 13mm bolts holding the pulley to what I
            > premuse is the flywheel. No doubt they'll come off easily enough. But
            > there's also the big nut/bolt/whatever that looks like it's attached
            > to the end of the crankshaft? Is this torqued to a million lb.ft or
            > does it come off easily? Is it a left or right hand thread?
            >
            > Advice gratefully accepted.
            >
            > Alan
            >
            > '87 520i

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor