new member

  • Neil
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 25, 2004
      Hi,

      I've recently joined as I have bought an '86 m525 auto (uk based).

      I've seen some similar cars advertised with after market 'chips'.
      Does any one know who sells them in uk and if they offer good results?

      Also if anyone's interested there is an '84 alpina B9 on uk ebay
      currently. Looks like it needs tidying but it is only £900 so far.....

      Thanks in advance

      Neil
    • conman565
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 25, 2004
        I dont know much about the euro 5s, but i just got a chip for my 528e
        and it went from 121 horse at the wheels to 145 at the wheels and from
        171 Ft/Lbs of torque to 193Ft/Lbs, so its a big emprovment for the 2.7
        at least, Probably big for you'res to.

        --- In bmwe28@..., "Neil" <n_ewi@y...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I've recently joined as I have bought an '86 m525 auto (uk based).
        >
        > I've seen some similar cars advertised with after market 'chips'.
        > Does any one know who sells them in uk and if they offer good results?
        >
        > Also if anyone's interested there is an '84 alpina B9 on uk ebay
        > currently. Looks like it needs tidying but it is only £900 so far.....
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > Neil
      • Ron Adams
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 25, 2004
          what do you guys mean by "chips"? where do you get them?

          Ron

          --- In bmwe28@..., "Neil" <n_ewi@y...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I've recently joined as I have bought an '86 m525 auto (uk based).
          >
          > I've seen some similar cars advertised with after market 'chips'.
          > Does any one know who sells them in uk and if they offer good results?
          >
          > Also if anyone's interested there is an '84 alpina B9 on uk ebay
          > currently. Looks like it needs tidying but it is only �900 so far.....
          >
          > Thanks in advance
          >
          > Neil

        • john Gieringer
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 25, 2004
            I'd be interested in knowing:
            which chip you purchased?
            where you got it?
            Are those advertised improvements or were these measured somehow?
            Thanks,
            John - '85 535i

            --- In bmwe28@..., "Neil" <n_ewi@y...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I've recently joined as I have bought an '86 m525 auto (uk based).
            >
            > I've seen some similar cars advertised with after market 'chips'.
            > Does any one know who sells them in uk and if they offer good results?
            >
            > Also if anyone's interested there is an '84 alpina B9 on uk ebay
            > currently. Looks like it needs tidying but it is only £900 so far.....
            >
            > Thanks in advance
            >
            > Neil

          • jroalf18
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 26, 2004
              I would be interested in knowing a little more about that chip for
              the 528e with that type of gain I would be a little more patient with
              my planned big six conversion! What year is your 528? Did you change
              injectors or exhaust or anything els? Hey you guessed it I would love
              some details.

              --- In bmwe28@..., "john Gieringer" <jcgieri@c...>
              wrote:
              > I'd be interested in knowing:
              > which chip you purchased?
              > where you got it?
              > Are those advertised improvements or were these measured somehow?
              > Thanks,
              > John - '85 535i

            • jim_wilson_raf
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 26, 2004
                hi im j, i own a 83 520, its not running! three of the cylinders have
                got oil in them, it starts but does not run, and the head gasket was
                fine and now im kinda at a lose end!!!!! HELP
              • salomon29855@aol.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 26, 2004
                  take me off the mailing list now have a e36...thank you

                • Ron Kall
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 27, 2004
                    All,

                    I would also like to know about the chips for my two
                    E28's. It looks like the HP gain is impressive. Are
                    there any downsides to them? such as harder on the
                    engine or transmission?

                    thanks,

                    Ron Kall

                    1986 528e
                    1985 535i

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                  • Steve Cunningham
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 27, 2004
                      No downside that I have noticed since installation of Comforti Chip in April
                      AND I am running 87 octane! I also put in Mustang 5.0 injectors and new hi
                      performance wires about the same time and my car loves it.

                      C'ville Steve
                      88 535iS 209K on the clock.

                    • Ron Adams
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 27, 2004
                        what "chip" are you guys talking about? where can you get one, what kind of chip is it, where does it go?

                        Ron

                      • getepaid
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 28, 2004
                          Ahh, the almighty chip! instant horsepower and torque gains! i love
                          it!!! i live in the USA and i got mine from www.bavauto.com . just go
                          to the sight, and choose what the year and model of your car. then,
                          type in "chip" in the search engine. its about $250 but i don't know
                          what the shipping would be to the UK. i had a dealer put it in because
                          i didn't want to screw up my computer.
                          Zac
                          1988 528e
                          1975 2002 auto
                          1987 325

                        • getepaid
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 28, 2004
                            go to your local junkyard and pick up a new engine. its your best bet.
                            then rebuild it top to bottom, replacing the worn parts and renewing
                            all the gaskets. try 1mm thick head gasket as the head is probably warped
                            Zac
                            1988 528e
                            1975 2002 auto
                            1987 325

                            --- In bmwe28@..., jim_wilson_raf <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                            > hi im j, i own a 83 520, its not running! three of the cylinders have
                            > got oil in them, it starts but does not run, and the head gasket was
                            > fine and now im kinda at a lose end!!!!! HELP
                          • samooey
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 5, 2004
                              Hi again sorry i havent replied sooner, ive already taken the
                              cylinder head off the block, the piston rings and cylinder walls
                              appear to be fine as were the valve stem oil seals! i suppose they
                              could be worn, when the car was running there was a lot of blue smoke
                              at high revs, ive replaced all the seals and have started putting it
                              all back together, should be finished by tomorrow, i wish i read your
                              message sooner it would of proberly saved me a lot of work! as im
                              having doubts wether she`ll start!!

                            • jaybmw533@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 5, 2004
                                Hope everything works out, if you were here in the states I had a 3.4L ready
                                to go.

                                Jay

                              • jroalf18
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 6, 2004
                                  What exactly is ready to go? I have an 86 528e that I plan on making
                                  into a sleeper of sorts with either an M30 or an S38, only I need it
                                  all motor, WIREING HARNESS, and ecu.

                                  I would buy them seperately though since I will be taking my seet
                                  time with a rebuild, unless it just had one. Thanks Jay.

                                  If anyone has done a swap like this I would love a little advice.
                                  Thank you all!

                                • jaybmw533@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 6, 2004
                                    It's all there. Harness is still on motor. Have the ecu. bolt on PS, Flywheel
                                    and Alternator and your ready to set in. I was going to set it in my 533 but
                                    I got it quieted down.

                                  • Wesley Clark
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 6, 2004
                                      jay.

                                      how much for the 3.4 ? Could it be put in a 85 318i ? How about the 528e (83 model)I wish i had the 4 speed automatic, all i have is the 3 speed, i do have a 82 528e with the 5 speed manual tranny blew the head gasket on that one and am afraid the head might be warped, i drove the car for a year like that, and never overheated again as long as i kept the coolant level correct.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 6, 2004
                                        $400.00 and the 3.4 can be yours. Where are you located? It will fit in a
                                        325e if you change the harness and computer with it. Is your 325e a 5-speed? If
                                        it is the swap wouldn't be to difficult. It would fit your 528e as well. You
                                        will need to locate a 3.4 flywheel from a 1985 to 1987 535i.

                                        Jay

                                      • Steve Haygood
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 6, 2004
                                          uh, no.....it won't be that easy. It will require custom engine mounts and a
                                          different transmission as the bolt patterns are entirely different between
                                          the m20 and the m30 engines.Doable ? yes. easy ? not really. If I missed
                                          something in the emails, my aplogies
                                          Steve
                                          Keep It Runnin'
                                          www.stevehaygood.com
                                          Automobile Solutions
                                          BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 6, 2004
                                            I'm so used to having everything here. I have the 260/5 that bolts up yo the
                                            3.4 here. M20 and m30 are different. Thank you for the reminder Steve. I
                                            answered to quickly, I did not mean to mislead anyone.

                                            Jay

                                          • Andy Boothroyd
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 7, 2004
                                              Hello Everyone,

                                              I have a 520i lux which has just failed its MOT because it needs 1 new tyre and I just can't justify spending £200 on a tyre ( there the old Michelin TRX tyres) I need either a 220/55RV390 tyre with a good tread or I need two 200/60VR390. If anyone has any of these tyres lying about could you please let me know. I'm based in the UK near Heathrow Airport.

                                              Andy

                                            • samooey
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 10, 2004
                                                ok so the cars back together again! it runs!!!! (after a lot of
                                                pissing about) there is however a few problems with it ie. there
                                                seems to be a few flat spots on acceleration the engine seems to just
                                                cut out at 2000rpm and again at 3 i also have a hunting problem i
                                                cant see any vacuum leaks and i know the car is now set up properly
                                                can anyone tell me if the a faulty vacuum capsule on the dizzy could
                                                be the problem the engine revs then sounds like it dumps all its
                                                pressure same sort of noise a turbo makes
                                              • grafton_56
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 25, 2006
                                                  Hi my name is John I have just joined the group,like to say hello
                                                  from Brisbane Queensland Aust.The weather here is steamy 28 deg.
                                                • Blake Nancarrow
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Feb 25, 2006
                                                    Quoting grafton_56 <grafton_56@...>:

                                                    > Hi my name is John I have just joined the group,like to say hello
                                                    > from Brisbane Queensland Aust.The weather here is steamy 28 deg.

                                                    John,

                                                    Welcome and greetings from Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, just outside
                                                    Toronto, and essentially on the exact opposite side of the planet,
                                                    where it is a windy, snowy, crazy winter. Newfoundland, Canada got 65
                                                    cm of snow today!

                                                    What E28 do you have?

                                                    I have two: a blue 528e with 560 000 km and a brown 528e for parts.

                                                    I'm hoping to visit Oz in the future...

                                                    Cheers,
                                                    Blake

                                                    Blake Nancarrow blaken@...