whose e28 has got the most miles?

  • griffinaffelsauce
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 29, 2004
      how long will yours last?
      300k?

      my odometer stopped working at 214,668 but it easily has 226k

      -griffin
      87 535is
    • Ron Kall
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 29, 2004
        259.8k

        1986 528e

        --- griffinaffelsauce <griffinaffelsauce@...>
        wrote:

        > how long will yours last?
        > 300k?
        >
        > my odometer stopped working at 214,668 but it easily
        > has 226k
        >
        > -griffin
        > 87 535is

        =====
        Ron Kall
        Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

        1986 528e
        1985 535i

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Ron Kall
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 29, 2004
          Has anyone painted their wheels. My OEM wheel is
          great. It was the spare. I made the mistake when I
          bought the car new in 1986 of spending $1,200.00 for
          chrome wheels. I later found out that BMW of Riverside
          takes the stock wheels down the street to a chrome
          shop and gets them plated. The chrome started peeling
          after five years or so. So bad that the tires would
          not hold air. I bought three OEM wheels at the
          junkyard, but one is in bad shape. A little paint
          would help. What color and where to buy such paint to
          fix up my wayward wheel. I would prefer brushing and
          not spraying since I do not plan to take the tire off
          the wheel. Any advice.

          wrote:

          > how long will yours last?
          > 300k?
          >
          > my odometer stopped working at 214,668 but it easily
          > has 226k
          >
          > -griffin
          > 87 535is

          =====
          Ron Kall
          Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

          1986 528e
          1985 535i

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
        • Blake Nancarrow
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 29, 2004
            On August 29, 2004 4:38 PM, Ron Kall wrote:
            > 259.8k
            > 1986 528e

            I just broke 550 000 kilometres about a month ago. 1984
            528e, original motor, unopened!

            cheers,
            Blake
          • Ron Kall
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 29, 2004
              Blake,

              well done. My motor's never been touched as well. Only
              valve adjustments, cap, and rotor for the engine. I
              just swithced to synthetic oil, 20W50 Castrol. I plan
              to run out to 10k before oil and filter change. I used
              to use 20W50 whatever and change it every 4k or so.

              =====
              Ron Kall
              Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

              1986 528e
              1985 535i

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • Ian R. Campbell
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 29, 2004
                Wouldn't this be whose e28 still has a working
                odometer?

                - Ian R. Campbell

                --- Ron Kall <ronjkall@...> wrote:

                > Blake,
                >
                > well done. My motor's never been touched as well.
                > Only
                > valve adjustments, cap, and rotor for the engine. I
                > just swithced to synthetic oil, 20W50 Castrol. I
                > plan
                > to run out to 10k before oil and filter change. I
                > used
                > to use 20W50 whatever and change it every 4k or so.
                >

                > --- Blake Nancarrow <blaken@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > On August 29, 2004 4:38 PM, Ron Kall wrote:
                > > > 259.8k
                > > > 1986 528e
                > >
                > > I just broke 550 000 kilometres about a month ago.
                > > 1984
                > > 528e, original motor, unopened!
                > >
                > > cheers,
                > > Blake
                > >

                > =====
                > Ron Kall
                > Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
                >

                > 1986 528e
                > 1985 535i

                > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                =====
                - Ian R. Campbell
                iantm@...
                i_r_c@...
                (813) 956-4540

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              • David Brown
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 29, 2004
                  I'm running with 254,000 us miles and still running strong on a unopened engine.I have faith that I can reach 300,000 with out to much trouble. We have done a compression check and all seems to be well with even compression across the board. Has anybody reached 500,000 miles? by the way, my only problems at this milage is I need new exhaust and a rear seal on my tranny. I will also be replacing some of the rear bushings which are causing some high speed vibrations otherwise the car is in excellent health.
                  David Brown 535i 1985

                  --- Ron Kall <ronjkall@...> wrote:

                  > Blake,
                  >
                  > well done. My motor's never been touched as well.
                  > Only
                  > valve adjustments, cap, and rotor for the engine. I
                  > just swithced to synthetic oil, 20W50 Castrol. I
                  > plan
                  > to run out to 10k before oil and filter change. I
                  > used
                  > to use 20W50 whatever and change it every 4k or so.
                  >

                  > --- Blake Nancarrow <blaken@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > > On August 29, 2004 4:38 PM, Ron Kall wrote:
                  > > > 259.8k
                  > > > 1986 528e
                  > >
                  > > I just broke 550 000 kilometres about a month ago.
                  > > 1984
                  > > 528e, original motor, unopened!
                  > >
                  > > cheers,
                  > > Blake
                  > >

                  > =====
                  > Ron Kall
                  > Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
                  >

                  > 1986 528e
                  > 1985 535i

                  > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                  =====
                  - Ian R. Campbell
                  iantm@...
                  i_r_c@...
                  (813) 956-4540

                • Matt Meade
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 29, 2004
                    I have 204,000 miles on my 85 535i, and it is still very fast. It needs front end bushings, and the driver seat needs some work (it is slanted, weird). Other then that, a really fun car to drive.
                    Matt Meade
                    Ashland, OR

                    --- Ron Kall <ronjkall@...> wrote:

                    > Blake,
                    >
                    > well done. My motor's never been touched as well.
                    > Only
                    > valve adjustments, cap, and rotor for the engine. I
                    > just swithced to synthetic oil, 20W50 Castrol. I
                    > plan
                    > to run out to 10k before oil and filter change. I
                    > used
                    > to use 20W50 whatever and change it every 4k or so.
                    >

                    > --- Blake Nancarrow <blaken@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    > > On August 29, 2004 4:38 PM, Ron Kall wrote:
                    > > > 259.8k
                    > > > 1986 528e
                    > >
                    > > I just broke 550 000 kilometres about a month ago.
                    > > 1984
                    > > 528e, original motor, unopened!
                    > >
                    > > cheers,
                    > > Blake
                    > >

                    > =====
                    > Ron Kall
                    > Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
                    >

                    > 1986 528e
                    > 1985 535i

                    > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                    =====
                    - Ian R. Campbell
                    iantm@...
                    i_r_c@...
                    (813) 956-4540

                  • Ron Adams
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 29, 2004
                      Hi I've got 230K miles on my 1985 524td, the engine has never been opened. My other car, a 1986 524td, has 193,000 miles with an unopened engine.

                      Ron Adams

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 29, 2004
                        Hi Ron, I just painted my wheels on my 1986 524td. It is a simple process, and it looked just like the original finish and color. You don't even have to take the tires off the rims. Here's what I did:

                        1. Take the tire off of the car
                        2. clean and sand the rims as smooth as you can.
                        3. I used a light gray Duplicolor Primer and Sealer from Autozone. Make sure that you get the Primer and Sealer(one can). It makes the rims that much smoother.
                        4. use painter's tape from Home Depot and go around the rim, taping it to the tire. The stuff i used had tape on it and 2 foot plastic attached to it. You have to rip the plastic as you go around the rim, but then you just fold the plastic under the tire to protect it.
                        5.spray the rims with 2 coats of the primer-sealer

                        6. Autozone also has special wheel paint, again Duplicolor. There are two colors of silver, the light and the slightly darker one. i used the slightly darker one. I put two coats of the silver on.

                        7. Next, within 1-2 hours, spray the Duplicolor clear wheel paint over the top. Use two coats. Let dry, put tire back on car.

                        don't use the paint in over 855 humidity, because I screwed up one that way. Two of them came out perfect, the other one i have to redo. However, once I finished them and put them on the car, you could not tell them apart from the original rims. It looks great. Even my mechanic did not know which one was original and which one was painted.

                        Good luck and have fun.

                        Ron Adams

                        wrote:

                        > how long will yours last?
                        > 300k?
                        >
                        > my odometer stopped working at 214,668 but it easily
                        > has 226k
                        >
                        > -griffin
                        > 87 535is

                        =====
                        Ron Kall
                        Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

                        1986 528e
                        1985 535i

                      • Chris Trevelyan
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 30, 2004
                          I can't complete with most of you - my 86 535i has only 227,000 km, and I don't drive it all that much, so I've got a ways to go. Let's see in ten years time (if all goes well!).

                          A quick question though - I've noticed an occasional power lag for a half second or so, especially but not always after I pop into 2nd gear. Is this some sort of vacuum leak, or something else?

                          Chris
                          86 535i
                          White Rock, BC

                          --- Ron Kall <ronjkall@...> wrote:

                          > Blake,
                          >
                          > well done. My motor's never been touched as well.
                          > Only
                          > valve adjustments, cap, and rotor for the engine. I
                          > just swithced to synthetic oil, 20W50 Castrol. I
                          > plan
                          > to run out to 10k before oil and filter change. I
                          > used
                          > to use 20W50 whatever and change it every 4k or so.
                          >

                          > --- Blake Nancarrow <blaken@...>
                          > wrote:
                          >
                          > > On August 29, 2004 4:38 PM, Ron Kall wrote:
                          > > > 259.8k
                          > > > 1986 528e
                          > >
                          > > I just broke 550 000 kilometres about a month ago.
                          > > 1984
                          > > 528e, original motor, unopened!
                          > >
                          > > cheers,
                          > > Blake
                          > >

                          > =====
                          > Ron Kall
                          > Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
                          >

                          > 1986 528e
                          > 1985 535i

                          > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                          =====
                          - Ian R. Campbell
                          iantm@...
                          i_r_c@...
                          (813) 956-4540

                        • Connar Comstock
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 4, 2004
                            >From: Ron Adams <landmanron@...>
                            >To: bmwe28@...
                            >Subject: RE: [bmw e28] whose e28 has got the most miles?
                            >Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:42:28 -0700 (PDT)

                            i have a grandfather that has an 1986 (i know that it isnt a 5 but still its
                            a BMW) 735i with about 565 000 Km on it, and my 1986 528e has 400 000 Km
                            (give or take) on it.

                          • jwnewmark
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 6, 2004
                              I have an 84 528e with 370,000 miles or approximately 611000
                              kilometers! Love that car -- Fritzi will not die!

                              Joe

                              --- In bmwe28@..., "Connar Comstock" <Connar565@m...> wrote:

                              > >From: Ron Adams <landmanron@p...>
                              > >To: bmwe28@...
                              > >Subject: RE: [bmw e28] whose e28 has got the most miles?
                              > >Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:42:28 -0700 (PDT)
                              > >
                              > i have a grandfather that has an 1986 (i know that it isnt a 5 but
                              still its
                              > a BMW) 735i with about 565 000 Km on it, and my 1986 528e has 400
                              000 Km
                              > (give or take) on it.

                              > Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft®
                              SmartScreen
                              > Technology

                              http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=ht=
                              tp://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines