quick power lag?

  • Blake Nancarrow
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 30, 2004
      On August 30, 2004 5:28 AM, Chris Trevelyan wrote:
      > A quick question though - I've noticed an occasional
      power lag for a
      > half second or so, especially but not always after I
      pop into 2nd gear. Is
      > this some sort of vacuum leak, or something else?

      Check the fuel relay and its contacts, one of the
      "outboard" relays on the fuse box.

      Blake
    • Ron Kall
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 30, 2004
        check the transfer pump in the fuel tank. mine did the
        exact same lag. the main pump still runs the car, but
        the tank pump helps a lot.

        --- Blake Nancarrow <blaken@...> wrote:

        > On August 30, 2004 5:28 AM, Chris Trevelyan wrote:
        > > A quick question though - I've noticed an
        > occasional
        > power lag for a
        > > half second or so, especially but not always
        > after I
        > pop into 2nd gear. Is
        > > this some sort of vacuum leak, or something
        > else?
        >
        > Check the fuel relay and its contacts, one of the
        > "outboard" relays on the fuse box.
        >
        > Blake

        =====
        Ron Kall
        Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

        1986 528e
        1985 535i

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
      • Ron Kall
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 30, 2004
          Anyone,

          I had my brake sensor light come on after 70k miles or
          so, BMW pads and rotors. This was unexpected since 90%
          of my miles are 400 miles a pop between LA and SFO. I
          pulled the pads off Saturday and replaced pad, rotors,
          and sensor. My driver side, where the sensor sits, was
          worn almost to the metal pad backing, but the
          passenger side was maybe 50%. What causes this? I
          could not see spending major coin on this, but what
          does this mean?

          p.s. CRC anti-squeal for $3.99 for 4 o.z. Kragen
          online is awesome. No brake noise whatsoever when I
          apply the brakes. Before this brake job, I always had
          some squeal.

          =====

        • iain@535se.co.uk
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 31, 2004
            This sounds like it could be a failing master cylinder, with output to your
            n/s caliper being greater than to your o/s one (asuming that your car is LHD)
            I can't recommend a definative test, but I would keep an eye on the wear of
            your pads and consider replacing the master cylinder if the uneaven wear
            continues. The cost of a master cylinder over here in the UK is around about
            £65.00 so ~$100, I guess.

            Just a thought but do you mean that the pads on either side of your rotor are
            wearing different or pads on either side of your car?

            If its either side of your rotor then you have a sticking piston in the
            caliper that can usually be worked free with a lubricating spray....or caliper
            replaced with a reconditioned one for about £45.00 ~ $80.

            Iain

            Ron Kall <ronjkall@...> wrote:

            > Anyone,
            >
            > I had my brake sensor light come on after 70k miles or
            > so, BMW pads and rotors. This was unexpected since 90%
            > of my miles are 400 miles a pop between LA and SFO. I
            > pulled the pads off Saturday and replaced pad, rotors,
            > and sensor. My driver side, where the sensor sits, was
            > worn almost to the metal pad backing, but the
            > passenger side was maybe 50%. What causes this? I
            > could not see spending major coin on this, but what
            > does this mean?
            >
            > p.s. CRC anti-squeal for $3.99 for 4 o.z. Kragen
            > online is awesome. No brake noise whatsoever when I
            > apply the brakes. Before this brake job, I always had
            > some squeal.
            >

            > --- Blake Nancarrow <blaken@...> wrote:
            >
            > > On August 30, 2004 5:28 AM, Chris Trevelyan wrote:
            > > > A quick question though - I've noticed an
            > > occasional
            > > power lag for a
            > > > half second or so, especially but not always
            > > after I
            > > pop into 2nd gear. Is
            > > > this some sort of vacuum leak, or something
            > > else?
            > >
            > > Check the fuel relay and its contacts, one of the
            > > "outboard" relays on the fuse box.
            > >
            > > Blake
            > >

            > =====
            > Ron Kall
            > Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
            >

            > 1986 528e
            > 1985 535i

          • Chris Trevelyan
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 31, 2004
              Thanks Ron & Blake,

              I'll check the fuel relay & its contacts, but if its the transfer pump in the fuel tank - is that an expensive job? If so, can the problem wait a while (besides the annoyance), or is it something I should get on right away?

              Take Care,
              Chris

              86 535i
              White Rock, BC

              check the transfer pump in the fuel tank. mine did the
              exact same lag. the main pump still runs the car, but
              the tank pump helps a lot.
              On August 30, 2004 5:28 AM, Chris Trevelyan wrote:
              > A quick question though - I've noticed an occasional
              power lag for a
              > half second or so, especially but not always after I
              pop into 2nd gear. Is
              > this some sort of vacuum leak, or something else?

              Check the fuel relay and its contacts, one of the
              "outboard" relays on the fuse box.

              Blake

            • steve
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 31, 2004
                From what I have been told by many, change the transfer pump before the
                engine pump fails as well. There is an easy mod/quickfix on the net that
                uses a $40 chevy vega fuel pump. I don't want to know what a BMW pump might
                cost, especially here in Canada.
                Steve
                Vancouver Island
                87 535i
                > I'll check the fuel relay & its contacts, but if its the transfer
                pump in the fuel tank - is that an expensive job? If so, can the problem
                wait a while (besides the annoyance), or is it something I should get on
                right away?

                > Take Care,
                > Chris
                >
                > 86 535i
                > White Rock, BC
                >

                > check the transfer pump in the fuel tank. mine did the
                > exact same lag. the main pump still runs the car, but
                > the tank pump helps a lot.

                Service.

              • Steve Haygood
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 31, 2004
                  85.00 new oem, if you wait, it puts more of a load on the main pump and will
                  shorten it's life, a more expensive and more difficult job, although it's
                  not too tough either, just UNDER the car
                  Keep It Runnin'
                  www.stevehaygood.com
                  Automobile Solutions
                  BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 1, 2004
                    Steve,

                    Thanks for the comments on both this and the airfilter. I checked with my mechanic (and another) and they both tell me the in-tank transfer pump will cost $290.00 Cdn. (or around 220.00 USD), excluding labour (1 hour quoted). Is this the same part, as the price difference is huge, or am I missing something...

                    Regards,
                    Chris

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 1, 2004
                      Chris,

                      The Vega pump works fine and costs $45.00 with tax at
                      Kragen online, www.partsamerica.com, with a new
                      strainer with better performance values than the thing
                      in the tank now. It means:

                      remove trunk fuel door
                      unhook fuel lines
                      remove sender
                      remove transfer pump
                      take transfer pump off the bracket
                      put new pump on old bracket with cable ties
                      put back
                      new o ring on sender and new gasket on pump

                      simple.

                      =====
                      Ron Kall
                      Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

                      1986 528e
                      1985 535i

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                    • JTorres
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 2, 2004
                        I did mine about 4 months ago.
                        I have almost zero to nil mechanical experience.
                        I bought the pump online for much more less than the mechanic quoted you.
                        I made sure the gas tank was about half full and changed it in less than one hour.
                        The hardest part (for me anyway) was removing the connecting hoses.
                        It was about the easiest fix I have done, I just followed the bentley and had no problems.

                        Jose
                        '86 528e

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 3, 2004
                          Jose,

                          Thanks. You all make it sound so easy - I now think I have to give it a shot!

                          Take Care,
                          Chris