e28 Air Filter...

  • Chris Trevelyan
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2004
      Can anyone recommend a quality performace Air Filter for my 86 535i?

      Regards,
      Chris

      86 535i

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2004
        I suppose it depends if you are wanting your filter to give excellent
        filtration & last a long time or if you are looking for it to create induction
        noise. K & N do some decent panel filters that are a direct replacement & if
        looked after will last a very long time 100K miles.

        I don't think any of the big names in air filters (K & N, Powerflow, Green
        Cotton) make an induction kit anymore, but you could just buy a cone filter
        with the right intake size and manifacture your own bracket to support it in
        the car....

        Iain

        "Chris Trevelyan" <ctrevelyan@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone recommend a quality performace Air Filter for my 86 535i?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Chris
        >
        > 86 535i

      • Steve Haygood
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2004
          nothing will filter as well as the oem filter and to top it off, none of the
          so called high performance filters will filter as well as the oem filter.
          Tests have been done which prove this. I was at a dyno day and watched as
          the oem filter shamed a K&N filter on the power charts(both were clean btw).
          The ONLY place the K&N will outperform the oem filter is at high RPM and
          only when dead clean. This has been discussed thoroughly on several groups
          on the net. The K&N allows more dirt in when even moderately dirty, not a
          good thing for longevity as well.
          Steve
          Keep It Runnin'
          www.stevehaygood.com
          Automobile Solutions
          BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director

            Thanks. I'm really just looking for something that does its job well and will last a while, so thanks for the advice.

            Best Regards,
            Christopher