RE: [bmw e28] Digest Number 630

  • Stuart Logan
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2004
      Regarding who's e28 has the most kms:
      My 83 has over 630,000kms - with virtually no engine work in that time.
      A compression test just last week showed 140-145 psi on all cyl.
      The 528 eti engine will easily last longer if properly maintained - My
      mechanic's wife's car (84 528e with Auto trans) currently has over 1,100,000
      kms on it!

      From: "Steve Haygood" <automobilesolutions@...>
      2. M535 breaking
      From: steve marsh <steve5352003@...>
      3. 528i Manual 1985 - Recommended Differential Oil
      From: "bty821185" <steveaustin1@...>
      4. whose e28 has got the most miles?
      From: "griffinaffelsauce" <griffinaffelsauce@...>
      5. Re: whose e28 has got the most miles?
      From: Ron Kall <ronjkall@...>
      6. Re: 528i Manual 1985 - Recommended Differential Oil
      From: Ron Kall <ronjkall@...>
      7. Re: Paint for the wheels
      From: Ron Kall <ronjkall@...>
      8. RE: whose e28 has got the most miles?
      From: Blake Nancarrow <blaken@...>
      9. Re: 528i Manual 1985 - Recommended Differential Oil
      From: Ed MacVaugh <macvaugh@...>
      10. RE: whose e28 has got the most miles?
      From: Ron Kall <ronjkall@...>
      11. Re: 528i Manual 1985 - Recommended Differential Oil
      From: Ron Kall <ronjkall@...>
      12. RE: whose e28 has got the most miles?
      From: "Ian R. Campbell" <i_r_c@...>
      13. RE: whose e28 has got the most miles?
      From: David Brown <sailandbail@...>
      14. RE: whose e28 has got the most miles?
      From: Matt Meade <matthewg71@...>
      15. Re: Seat covers?
      From: Ed MacVaugh <macvaugh@...>
      16. RE: whose e28 has got the most miles?
      From: Ron Adams <landmanron@...>
      17. Re: Re: Paint for the wheels
      From: Ron Adams <landmanron@...>
      18. Re: whose e28 has got the most miles?
      From: "Chris Trevelyan" <ctrevelyan@...>
      19. Re: 528i Manual 1985 - Recommended Differential Oil
      From: "Steve Austin" <steveaustin1@...>
      20. OEM wheels chromed
      From: "trikdad8" <way2rome@...>
      21. Re: 528i Manual 1985 - Recommended Differential Oil
      From: "Steve Austin" <steveaustin1@...>
      22. Re: 528i Manual 1985 - Recommended Differential Oil
      From: "Steve Austin" <steveaustin1@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:48:07 -0400
      From: "Steve Haygood" <automobilesolutions@...>
      Subject: Re: Seat covers?

      try www.creativeoptions.info and tell them I sent you
      regards
      Steve
      Keep It Runnin'
      www.stevehaygood.com
      Automobile Solutions
      BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
      Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:46:06 -0700 (PDT)
      From: steve marsh <steve5352003@...>
      Subject: M535 breaking

      i am breaking a 1984/85 m535 all parts are available including full m tec
      body kit in silver.engine in good condition also 5 speed getrag dogleg
      sports gearbox.
      blue cloth m tec recaro interior drivers seat slightly worn

      Message: 3
      Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:14:23 -0000
      From: "bty821185" <steveaustin1@...>
      Subject: 528i Manual 1985 - Recommended Differential Oil

      Hi, I'm a new member and am running redline MT90 in my final drive
      (no noticeable problems/noise). Is this suitable? I'm having
      trouble working out if redline MT90 or their 75-90W NS oil would be
      better. Any ideas? Cheers -- Paul

      Message: 4
      Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 19:12:41 -0000
      From: "griffinaffelsauce" <griffinaffelsauce@...>
      Subject: whose e28 has got the most miles?

      how long will yours last?
      300k?

      my odometer stopped working at 214,668 but it easily has 226k

      -griffin
      87 535is

      Message: 5
      Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:38:50 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Ron Kall <ronjkall@...>
      Subject: Re: whose e28 has got the most miles?

      259.8k

      1986 528e

      --- griffinaffelsauce <griffinaffelsauce@...>
      wrote:

      > how long will yours last?
      > 300k?
      >
      > my odometer stopped working at 214,668 but it easily
      > has 226k
      >
      > -griffin
      > 87 535is

      =====
      Ron Kall
      Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

      1986 528e
      1985 535i

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

      Message: 6
      Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:41:23 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Ron Kall <ronjkall@...>

      Redline MT in the tranny and the 75-90W NS in the
      final drive. This is the consensus and what I have
      been running.

      --- bty821185 <steveaustin1@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I'm a new member and am running redline MT90 in
      > my final drive
      > (no noticeable problems/noise). Is this suitable?
      > I'm having
      > trouble working out if redline MT90 or their 75-90W
      > NS oil would be
      > better. Any ideas? Cheers -- Paul

      =====
      Ron Kall
      Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

      1986 528e
      1985 535i

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

      Message: 7
      Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:46:51 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Ron Kall <ronjkall@...>
      Subject: Re: Paint for the wheels

      Has anyone painted their wheels. My OEM wheel is
      great. It was the spare. I made the mistake when I
      bought the car new in 1986 of spending $1,200.00 for
      chrome wheels. I later found out that BMW of Riverside
      takes the stock wheels down the street to a chrome
      shop and gets them plated. The chrome started peeling
      after five years or so. So bad that the tires would
      not hold air. I bought three OEM wheels at the
      junkyard, but one is in bad shape. A little paint
      would help. What color and where to buy such paint to
      fix up my wayward wheel. I would prefer brushing and
      not spraying since I do not plan to take the tire off
      the wheel. Any advice.

      =====
      Ron Kall
      Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

      1986 528e
      1985 535i

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

      Message: 8
      Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:24:25 -0400
      From: Blake Nancarrow <blaken@...>

      On August 29, 2004 4:38 PM, Ron Kall wrote:
      > 259.8k
      > 1986 528e

      I just broke 550 000 kilometres about a month ago. 1984
      528e, original motor, unopened!

      cheers,
      Blake

      Message: 9
      Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:57:59 -0400
      From: Ed MacVaugh <macvaugh@...>

      The consensus is Redline *MTL* (Manual Transmission Lube) in the tranny
      and the other in the diff.

      Ed

      Ron Kall wrote:

      > Redline MT in the tranny and the 75-90W NS in the
      > final drive. This is the consensus and what I have
      > been running.

      Message: 10
      Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:23:25 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Ron Kall <ronjkall@...>

      Blake,

      well done. My motor's never been touched as well. Only
      valve adjustments, cap, and rotor for the engine. I
      just swithced to synthetic oil, 20W50 Castrol. I plan
      to run out to 10k before oil and filter change. I used
      to use 20W50 whatever and change it every 4k or so.

      =====
      Ron Kall
      Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

      1986 528e
      1985 535i

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

      Message: 11
      Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:24:20 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Ron Kall <ronjkall@...>

      Group,

      I am using MTL, not the MT or whatever in the M/T.

      =====
      Ron Kall
      Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

      1986 528e
      1985 535i

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

      Message: 12
      Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:38:08 -0700 (PDT)
      From: "Ian R. Campbell" <i_r_c@...>

      Wouldn't this be whose e28 still has a working
      odometer?

      - Ian R. Campbell

      --- Ron Kall <ronjkall@...> wrote:

      > Blake,
      >
      > well done. My motor's never been touched as well.
      > Only
      > valve adjustments, cap, and rotor for the engine. I
      > just swithced to synthetic oil, 20W50 Castrol. I
      > plan
      > to run out to 10k before oil and filter change. I
      > used
      > to use 20W50 whatever and change it every 4k or so.
      >

      > --- Blake Nancarrow <blaken@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > On August 29, 2004 4:38 PM, Ron Kall wrote:
      > > > 259.8k
      > > > 1986 528e
      > >
      > > I just broke 550 000 kilometres about a month ago.
      > > 1984
      > > 528e, original motor, unopened!
      > >
      > > cheers,
      > > Blake
      > >

      > =====
      > Ron Kall
      > Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
      >

      > 1986 528e
      > 1985 535i

      > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

      =====
      - Ian R. Campbell

      iantm@...

      i_r_c@...

      (813) 956-4540

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

      Message: 13
      Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:12:20 -0700 (PDT)
      From: David Brown <sailandbail@...>

      I'm running with 254,000 us miles and still running strong on a unopened
      engine.I have faith that I can reach 300,000 with out to much trouble. We
      have done a compression check and all seems to be well with even compression
      across the board. Has anybody reached 500,000 miles? by the way, my only
      problems at this milage is I need new exhaust and a rear seal on my tranny.
      I will also be replacing some of the rear bushings which are causing some
      high speed vibrations otherwise the car is in excellent health.

      David Brown 535i 1985

      --- Ron Kall <ronjkall@...> wrote:

      > Blake,
      >
      > well done. My motor's never been touched as well.
      > Only
      > valve adjustments, cap, and rotor for the engine. I
      > just swithced to synthetic oil, 20W50 Castrol. I
      > plan
      > to run out to 10k before oil and filter change. I
      > used
      > to use 20W50 whatever and change it every 4k or so.
      >

      > --- Blake Nancarrow <blaken@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > On August 29, 2004 4:38 PM, Ron Kall wrote:
      > > > 259.8k
      > > > 1986 528e
      > >
      > > I just broke 550 000 kilometres about a month ago.
      > > 1984
      > > 528e, original motor, unopened!
      > >
      > > cheers,
      > > Blake
      > >

      > =====
      > Ron Kall
      > Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
      >

      > 1986 528e
      > 1985 535i

      > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

      =====
      - Ian R. Campbell

      iantm@...

      i_r_c@...

      (813) 956-4540

      Message: 14
      Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 19:18:30 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Matt Meade <matthewg71@...>

      I have 204,000 miles on my 85 535i, and it is still very fast. It needs
      front end bushings, and the driver seat needs some work (it is slanted,
      weird). Other then that, a really fun car to drive.
      Matt Meade
      Ashland, OR

      --- Ron Kall <ronjkall@...> wrote:

      > Blake,
      >
      > well done. My motor's never been touched as well.
      > Only
      > valve adjustments, cap, and rotor for the engine. I
      > just swithced to synthetic oil, 20W50 Castrol. I
      > plan
      > to run out to 10k before oil and filter change. I
      > used
      > to use 20W50 whatever and change it every 4k or so.
      >

      > --- Blake Nancarrow <blaken@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > On August 29, 2004 4:38 PM, Ron Kall wrote:
      > > > 259.8k
      > > > 1986 528e
      > >
      > > I just broke 550 000 kilometres about a month ago.
      > > 1984
      > > 528e, original motor, unopened!
      > >
      > > cheers,
      > > Blake
      > >

      > =====
      > Ron Kall
      > Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
      >

      > 1986 528e
      > 1985 535i

      > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

      =====
      - Ian R. Campbell

      iantm@...

      i_r_c@...

      (813) 956-4540

      Message: 15
      Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 22:54:06 -0400
      From: Ed MacVaugh <macvaugh@...>

      Zac,

      It looks like you live in North America from the cars you list after
      your name.

      Try <www.worlduph.com> for World Upholstery. Your interior is either
      Cardinal Red or Taurus Red. My 6er was Taurus and I would describe it as
      a red-brown, where the Cardinal has a more maroon appearance to it.

      BMW lists the leather pices as no longer available (NLA).

      Also look at <www.leatherique.com>

      Ed

      getepaid wrote:

      > my 88 528e's driver's side burgundy seat is wearing away :( it has a
      > few rips and i would like to replace it and the passenger one at the
      > same time. does anyone know of a place that sells new ones or
      > refinishes them? i would also be happy with a pair of burgundy seat
      > covers!
      > Zac
      > 1988 528e
      > 1975 2002 auto
      > 1987 325

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > Service <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html>.

      Message: 16
      Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:42:28 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Ron Adams <landmanron@...>

      Hi I've got 230K miles on my 1985 524td, the engine has never been opened.
      My other car, a 1986 524td, has 193,000 miles with an unopened engine.

      Ron Adams

      --- Ron Kall <ronjkall@...> wrote:

      > Blake,
      >
      > well done. My motor's never been touched as well.
      > Only
      > valve adjustments, cap, and rotor for the engine. I
      > just swithced to synthetic oil, 20W50 Castrol. I
      > plan
      > to run out to 10k before oil and filter change. I
      > used
      > to use 20W50 whatever and change it every 4k or so.
      >

      > --- Blake Nancarrow <blaken@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > On August 29, 2004 4:38 PM, Ron Kall wrote:
      > > > 259.8k
      > > > 1986 528e
      > >
      > > I just broke 550 000 kilometres about a month ago.
      > > 1984
      > > 528e, original motor, unopened!
      > >
      > > cheers,
      > > Blake
      > >

      > =====
      > Ron Kall
      > Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
      >

      > 1986 528e
      > 1985 535i

      > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

      =====
      - Ian R. Campbell

      iantm@...

      i_r_c@...

      (813) 956-4540

      Message: 17
      Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:57:20 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Ron Adams <landmanron@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: Paint for the wheels

      Hi Ron, I just painted my wheels on my 1986 524td. It is a simple process,
      and it looked just like the original finish and color. You don't even have
      to take the tires off the rims. Here's what I did:

      1. Take the tire off of the car
      2. clean and sand the rims as smooth as you can.
      3. I used a light gray Duplicolor Primer and Sealer from Autozone. Make
      sure that you get the Primer and Sealer(one can). It makes the rims that
      much smoother.
      4. use painter's tape from Home Depot and go around the rim, taping it to
      the tire. The stuff i used had tape on it and 2 foot plastic attached to
      it. You have to rip the plastic as you go around the rim, but then you just
      fold the plastic under the tire to protect it.
      5.spray the rims with 2 coats of the primer-sealer

      6. Autozone also has special wheel paint, again Duplicolor. There are two
      colors of silver, the light and the slightly darker one. i used the
      slightly darker one. I put two coats of the silver on.

      7. Next, within 1-2 hours, spray the Duplicolor clear wheel paint over the
      top. Use two coats. Let dry, put tire back on car.

      don't use the paint in over 855 humidity, because I screwed up one that way.
      Two of them came out perfect, the other one i have to redo. However, once I
      finished them and put them on the car, you could not tell them apart from
      the original rims. It looks great. Even my mechanic did not know which one
      was original and which one was painted.

      Good luck and have fun.

      Ron Adams

      wrote:

      > how long will yours last?
      > 300k?
      >
      > my odometer stopped working at 214,668 but it easily
      > has 226k
      >
      > -griffin
      > 87 535is

      =====
      Ron Kall
      Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

      1986 528e
      1985 535i

      Message: 18
      Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 02:28:55 -0700
      From: "Chris Trevelyan" <ctrevelyan@...>

      I can't complete with most of you - my 86 535i has only 227,000 km, and I
      don't drive it all that much, so I've got a ways to go. Let's see in ten
      years time (if all goes well!).

      A quick question though - I've noticed an occasional power lag for a
      half second or so, especially but not always after I pop into 2nd gear. Is
      this some sort of vacuum leak, or something else?

      Chris
      86 535i
      White Rock, BC

      --- Ron Kall <ronjkall@...> wrote:

      > Blake,
      >
      > well done. My motor's never been touched as well.
      > Only
      > valve adjustments, cap, and rotor for the engine. I
      > just swithced to synthetic oil, 20W50 Castrol. I
      > plan
      > to run out to 10k before oil and filter change. I
      > used
      > to use 20W50 whatever and change it every 4k or so.
      >

      > --- Blake Nancarrow <blaken@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > On August 29, 2004 4:38 PM, Ron Kall wrote:
      > > > 259.8k
      > > > 1986 528e
      > >
      > > I just broke 550 000 kilometres about a month ago.
      > > 1984
      > > 528e, original motor, unopened!
      > >
      > > cheers,
      > > Blake
      > >

      > =====
      > Ron Kall
      > Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
      >

      > 1986 528e
      > 1985 535i

      > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

      =====
      - Ian R. Campbell

      iantm@...

      i_r_c@...

      (813) 956-4540

      Message: 19
      Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:43:00 +0000
      From: "Steve Austin" <steveaustin1@...>

      Thanks Ron

      >From: Ed MacVaugh <macvaugh@...>
      >To: bmwe28@...
      >Subject: Re: [bmw e28] 528i Manual 1985 - Recommended Differential Oil
      >Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:57:59 -0400
      >
      >The consensus is Redline *MTL* (Manual Transmission Lube) in the tranny
      >and the other in the diff.
      >
      >Ed
      >
      >Ron Kall wrote:
      >
      > > Redline MT in the tranny and the 75-90W NS in the
      > > final drive. This is the consensus and what I have
      > > been running.

      http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

      Message: 20
      Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:44:22 -0000
      From: "trikdad8" <way2rome@...>
      Subject: OEM wheels chromed

      does anybody know about getting OEM wheels chromed? Price, procedure,
      good or bad idea, any input? Jerome '84 528e

      Message: 21
      Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:46:50 +0000
      From: "Steve Austin" <steveaustin1@...>

      Thanks for your help -- Paul

      >From: Ron Kall <ronjkall@...>
      >To: bmwe28@...
      >Subject: Re: [bmw e28] 528i Manual 1985 - Recommended Differential Oil
      >Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:24:20 -0700 (PDT)
      >
      >Group,
      >
      >I am using MTL, not the MT or whatever in the M/T.
      >

      >--- Ed MacVaugh <macvaugh@...> wrote:
      >
      > > The consensus is Redline *MTL* (Manual Transmission
      > > Lube) in the tranny
      > > and the other in the diff.
      > >
      > > Ed
      > >
      > > Ron Kall wrote:
      > >
      > > > Redline MT in the tranny and the 75-90W NS in the
      > > > final drive. This is the consensus and what I have
      > > > been running.
      > >

      >=====
      >Ron Kall
      >Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
      >

      >1986 528e
      >1985 535i

      >http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

      Message: 22
      Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:50:09 +0000
      From: "Steve Austin" <steveaustin1@...>

      Thanks for your help

      >From: Ed MacVaugh <macvaugh@...>
      >To: bmwe28@...
      >Subject: Re: [bmw e28] 528i Manual 1985 - Recommended Differential Oil
      >Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:57:59 -0400
      >
      >The consensus is Redline *MTL* (Manual Transmission Lube) in the tranny
      >and the other in the diff.
      >
      >Ed
      >
      >Ron Kall wrote:
      >
      > > Redline MT in the tranny and the 75-90W NS in the
      > > final drive. This is the consensus and what I have
      > > been running.

      http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

      ---