bumper restoration questions

  • Doug Dykaar
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
      I've been motivated to get moving on the bimmer by the fall-like weather...

      I got the rear bumper off in order to sand and paint the rear sheet metal.
      So, I have a few questions:

      Is there a FAQ on polishing the Aluminum bumper proper?

      The bumper shocks look rusted solid. I doubt they'd function as shocks. Do I
      just sand, paint and reinstall?

      TIA,

      Doug
    • iain@535se.co.uk
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
        I thought the bumpers were chromed steel & not aluminium?

        If they are Aluminium they can be restored using fine wet/dry abraisive paper
        & then polished with a mild cutting compound & polisher.

        If chromed steel, then re-chroming is really the only option for that
        "perfect" look.

        Not sure about the bumper shocks, I guess you could repace them with new, but
        sanding & repainting will certainly be cheaper....also availability of new
        parts could be an issue.

        Iain

        "Doug Dykaar" <ddykaar@...> wrote:

        > I've been motivated to get moving on the bimmer by the fall-like weather...
        >
        > I got the rear bumper off in order to sand and paint the rear sheet metal.
        > So, I have a few questions:
        >
        > Is there a FAQ on polishing the Aluminum bumper proper?
        >
        > The bumper shocks look rusted solid. I doubt they'd function as shocks. Do I
        > just sand, paint and reinstall?
        >
        > TIA,
        >
        > Doug

      • DAVID WALDRON
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2004
          The bumpers are indeed chromed steel.
          I can source all bumper parts inc fit kits an deuro fronts new..
          Dave..

          "Doug Dykaar" <ddykaar@...> wrote:

          > I've been motivated to get moving on the bimmer by the fall-like weather...
          >
          > I got the rear bumper off in order to sand and paint the rear sheet metal.
          > So, I have a few questions:
          >
          > Is there a FAQ on polishing the Aluminum bumper proper?
          >
          > The bumper shocks look rusted solid. I doubt they'd function as shocks. Do I
          > just sand, paint and reinstall?
          >
          > TIA,
          >
          > Doug

        • Ed MacVaugh
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2004
            North American spec bumpers are anodised (anodized here in the US)
            aluminium (aluminium for you). Rest of the world received useless thin
            sheet metal ones, chromium plated for some cars, painted for the M5.

            Ed

            DAVID WALDRON wrote:

            > The bumpers are indeed chromed steel.
          • yonkyjonah
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 6, 2004
              --- In bmwe28@..., Ed MacVaugh <macvaugh@c...> wrote:
              > North American spec bumpers are anodised (anodized here in the US)
              > aluminium (aluminium for you). Rest of the world received useless
              thin
              > sheet metal ones, chromium plated for some cars, painted for the M5.
              >
              > Ed

              Ed,

              my God, your so right, my thin sheet metal bumpers are soooo useless!
              That's it, I must get hold of some of the North American spec ones,
              they're much more useful.....

              Yonky
            • Ed MacVaugh
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 6, 2004
                If you lived in a country where other drivers park their cars using the
                touch method, you would need heavy bumpers. I have a Euro spec M5 and
                have replaced virtually every portion of those thin pieces of crap.

                Ed

                yonkyjonah wrote:

                > --- In bmwe28@..., Ed MacVaugh <macvaugh@c...> wrote:
                > > North American spec bumpers are anodised (anodized here in the US)
                > > aluminium (aluminium for you). Rest of the world received useless
                > thin
                > > sheet metal ones, chromium plated for some cars, painted for the M5.
                > >
                > > Ed
                >
                > Ed,
                >
                > my God, your so right, my thin sheet metal bumpers are soooo useless!
                > That's it, I must get hold of some of the North American spec ones,
                > they're much more useful.....
                >
                > Yonky

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                > Service <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html>.

              • Steve Haygood
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 6, 2004
                  I have 1 rear US M5 bumper here if that is any help for anyone ( would be
                  expensive to ship across the pond of course
                  Steve

                  Keep it Runnin'
                  Automobile Solutions
                  BMW CCA 6 Series Director