'86 528e auto/surging

  • Barry Mercer
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 14, 2004
      I aquired an 528e with fuil injection recently and it seems to have a
      lack of good exceleration, and tends to climb and stall, and climb
      and stall, as you try to gass it up to get on the freeway ramps.
      Fuel pump? Return valve? Injecters? ???

      The car seems to be in good overall shape, and the trans works well.
      150K miles. Just did the belt and ajusted valves. Has good plugs, and
      ect. It surges about every 3 to 4 RPM rise in excelleration, but runs
      smooth at all other times, except on start up when it runs quite
      rough untill warm, is that normal?

      Got any good ideas? Should I replace the fuel pump and return valve,
      or start with injectors? Could it be something electrical I am
      missing?

      VME Barry
      VP of the Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiasts Seattle Washington
    • Joel T. Gonzalez
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 14, 2004
        Start checking out that problematic auxiliary fuel pump(in the gasoline tank itself). If the main fuel pump outside (and immediately next to the tank) doesn't have that help from the auxiliary it will start to buckle(while driving) up and down like if your were on a horse.
        Make sure that your fuel tank was not hit on the bottom(some curb or obstacle) that might have pushed/dent upwards just a little bit as that auxiliary fuel pump is next to the bottom edge of the tank and prone to easily being damaged as what happened with my car.

        Good luck,

        Joel T. Gonzalez
        San Antonio, TX.
        (83) B.M.W. 528e

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 14, 2004
          At the auction today I found a 93 735i the I bid on and won for $1500 - Only
          thing it needs is a water pump.

          That price was 1/3 of what I paid for my 528e so I figured I could not go
          wrong even if I sold it for parts. Looks good inside clearly a one owner.

          Anyone know what it is worth? Is there a 7 Forum like this? Where can I get
          a water pump?

          HIG

          Kenneth H. Holyoak
          Information+Insight=Profit
          HIG, LLC

          Mail
          POB 68633

          Indianapolis IN 46268-0633

          UPS

          1508 E 86th Street Suite 177
          Indianapolis IN 46240

          ken@...

          317-253-7000 FAX 317-255-3708

        • Gil Thereault
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 14, 2004
            Check out www.turnermotorsports.com , They have one for your vehicle for $53.95

          • Steve Austin
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 15, 2004
              I would look at the following: Run a dose of fuel injector cleaner through
              fuel tank (Redline SI 1 is good). Change out fuel filter, check for vacuum
              leaks, check O-rings on fuel injectors, check fuel pipes, check fuel fuse
              and relay are OK and correctly seated (I had a poor contact on fuse which
              had similar effect for me), clean all electrical grounds with "detoxit"
              (particularly engine ground, ground under rear seat, and ground under
              steering wheel. Check fuel pressure regulator valve. Check main and in
              tank transfer fuel pumps. Check fuel injectors for clogging. Check Airflow
              meter for metal vein binding. Check position of TPS on throttle body.

              Thats about it. If you still have problem - get another car!

              --Paul

              >From: "Barry Mercer" <vmebarry@...>
              >To: bmwe28@...
              >Subject: [bmw e28] '86 528e auto/surging
              >Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:14:04 -0000
              >

              >I aquired an 528e with fuil injection recently and it seems to have a
              >lack of good exceleration, and tends to climb and stall, and climb
              >and stall, as you try to gass it up to get on the freeway ramps.
              >Fuel pump? Return valve? Injecters? ???
              >
              >The car seems to be in good overall shape, and the trans works well.
              >150K miles. Just did the belt and ajusted valves. Has good plugs, and
              >ect. It surges about every 3 to 4 RPM rise in excelleration, but runs
              >smooth at all other times, except on start up when it runs quite
              >rough untill warm, is that normal?
              >
              >Got any good ideas? Should I replace the fuel pump and return valve,
              >or start with injectors? Could it be something electrical I am
              >missing?
              >
              >VME Barry
              >VP of the Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiasts Seattle Washington

              http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
            • Oliver, Rodney
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 15, 2004
                where was this auction at?????

                of Service <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html> .

              • ken@kenholyoak.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 15, 2004
                  Auction was at auto dealer auction in Indianapolis

                  _____

[...]

                  <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html> Terms of Service.

                • Barry Mercer
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 15, 2004
                    Wow, That about covers it I guess!

                    Both Paul and Joel had very sound advice.
                    Thank you!

                    I have been meaning to check the main grounds, as my AC blew a fuse
                    last summer. I have also been meaning to repalce all the fuses, and
                    sand the turmanals. I will check the pumps also, may just replace
                    the one in the tank, as I supose it is a pain to get to, and if I'm
                    in there to check it anyway, might as well start out fresh.

                    I don't think I will go as far as getting a new car though, as the
                    car is a very nice town car, and performance is not what I am looking
                    for for my 16 year old daughter. She is high mantinance enough!

                    Thanks again

                    Best Regards,
                    Barry Mercer

                    --- In bmwe28@..., "Steve Austin" <steveaustin1@h...>

                  • Steve Austin
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 16, 2004
                      Barry

                      If you're going to replace the transfer pump I've just been throught that
                      and used the "Vega fix". Saves a decent bit of dosh. If you need any help,
                      be glad to share my experiences.

                      --Paul

                      http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
                    • Barry Mercer
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 16, 2004
                        I'm game for learing anything Paul. If you want to right it all
                        down, you might as well post it here, so anyone else can learn
                        something also. You might start another thread for it, so it will be
                        easy to search for in the future, and everyone will know what you are
                        talking about.

                        Thanks Again!
                        VME Barry

                        wrote:
                        > Barry
                        >
                        > If you're going to replace the transfer pump I've just been
                        throught that
                        > and used the "Vega fix". Saves a decent bit of dosh. If you need
                        any help,
                        > be glad to share my experiences.
                        >
                        > --Paul
                        >
                        > >From: "Barry Mercer" <vmebarry@h...>
                        > >To: bmwe28@...
                        > >Subject: Re: [bmw e28] '86 528e auto/surging
                        > >Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:48:59 -0000
                        > >

                        > >Wow, That about covers it I guess!
                        > >
                        > >Both Paul and Joel had very sound advice.
                        > >Thank you!
                        > >
                        > >I have been meaning to check the main grounds, as my AC blew a fuse
                        > >last summer. I have also been meaning to repalce all the fuses, and
                        > >sand the turmanals. I will check the pumps also, may just replace
                        > >the one in the tank, as I supose it is a pain to get to, and if I'm
                        > >in there to check it anyway, might as well start out fresh.
                        > >
                        > >I don't think I will go as far as getting a new car though, as the
                        > >car is a very nice town car, and performance is not what I am
                        looking
                        > >for for my 16 year old daughter. She is high mantinance enough!
                        > >
                        > >Thanks again
                        > >
                        > >Best Regards,
                        > >Barry Mercer
                        > >

                        > >--- In bmwe28@..., "Steve Austin" <steveaustin1@h...>
                        > >wrote:
                        > > > I would look at the following: Run a dose of fuel injector
                        cleaner
                        > >through
                        > > > fuel tank (Redline SI 1 is good). Change out fuel filter, check
                        > >for vacuum
                        > > > leaks, check O-rings on fuel injectors, check fuel pipes, check
                        > >fuel fuse
                        > > > and relay are OK and correctly seated (I had a poor contact on
                        > >fuse which
                        > > > had similar effect for me), clean all electrical grounds
                        > >with "detoxit"
                        > > > (particularly engine ground, ground under rear seat, and ground
                        > >under
                        > > > steering wheel. Check fuel pressure regulator valve. Check
                        main
                        > >and in
                        > > > tank transfer fuel pumps. Check fuel injectors for clogging.
                        Check
                        > >Airflow
                        > > > meter for metal vein binding. Check position of TPS on throttle
                        > >body.
                        > > >
                        > > > Thats about it. If you still have problem - get another car!
                        > > >
                        > > > --Paul

                        > >have a

                        > >well.
                        > >and
                        > >runs

                        > >valve,

                        > > > Use MSN Messenger to send music and pics to your friends
                        > > > http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

                        > It's fast, it's easy and it's free. Get MSN Messenger today!
                        > http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
                      • Steve Austin
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 19, 2004
                          Barry

                          Look at message number 2795 and follow the link in that message. You can
                          get the pump and strainer (intank filter that attaches to the pump) from
                          Rockauto.com. Click on Cheverolet, click on 1976, click on Vega and click
                          on fuel/air. Pump is Airtex E3900 and Strainer is FS100 or FS101. I used
                          FS101 it is long and thin and works fine but FS100 is more like the shape
                          used by BMW on original - so long as it will fit down the entrance hole that
                          is. Cost is $28.70 for pump and either $7.30 for FS100 or �3.80 for FS101.
                          Postage to the UK is �43. Took 1 week to come and cost < $70 (<�50 compared
                          to �145 for new BMW pump and strainer). It is best to get 2 new gaskets,
                          one for the top of the fuel tank and one for the sender unit. A BMW dealer
                          has these or can order them for about �3 for the 2.

                          The reason the BMW OE pump is so expensive is because it comes as a complete
                          unit with strainer and bracket attached. It is a very easy swap but
                          patience is required when carefully drilling off (with a 5 mm drill) the two
                          rivets that hold the original pump to the bracket. The total job is 1 to 2
                          hours. The vega pump is a perfect swap and is held to the brack with cable
                          ties (from any DIY shop for pennies). Good Luck. Any further
                          questions/help needed just ask.
                          cheers -- Paul

                          http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger