no start (grrr then humming)

  • griffinaffelsauce
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 15, 2004
      when i came out of work this after and attempted to start the car it
      did not start, instead it made a "grrrz" sound followed by of a
      whirring sound, similiar to a pump. i tried again and the sounds
      were made and not start after a minute i tried again and it started
      it up fine. i was very close to empty and parked on a slight incline
      but i am worried this may be a warning of things to come.
      so what do you think? low gas or symptom of larger problem?
    • Joel T. Gonzalez
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 15, 2004
        Funny, that happened to me also consciously knowing that I was on a very low reserve as I had driven the car and parked it on an inclined surface with the rear of the car being on the low side of the incline. When I came back within an hour, the car just did not start after it had been working fine.
        Logic kicked in and told me that the even though I had some reserve, the small auxiliary pump was not suctioning up any gas. I added two gallons of gasoline and it started within a couple of seconds.

        Joel T. Gonzalez
        San Antonio, TX.
        (83) B.M.W. 528e

        griffinaffelsauce <griffinaffelsauce@...> wrote:

        when i came out of work this after and attempted to start the car it
        did not start, instead it made a "grrrz" sound followed by of a
        whirring sound, similiar to a pump. i tried again and the sounds
        were made and not start after a minute i tried again and it started
        it up fine. i was very close to empty and parked on a slight incline
        but i am worried this may be a warning of things to come.
        so what do you think? low gas or symptom of larger problem?

      • maca600ss
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 16, 2004
          Sounds like it could be the starter motor to me, I will quote from the Haynes
          maual
          The starter motor assembly is of the pre engaged type. A solenoid is mounted
          o n the starter end plate, and operates a lever which slides the starter pinion
          into engagement with the flywheel ring endgear
          What you are hearing is the starter turning without engaging the gear (grrrz
          sound) the humming is the starter winding down after you let go of the key
          sometimes you will hear a gnashing of the gears because the starter does not
          engage properly, it can be the solenoid getting old or the little ring gear
          getting worn, any BMW mechanic or most owners will recognise the sound
          straight away I had a 79 320i fifteen years ago (maybe longer) and repalced
          the starter 3 times and in the last year have just started to hear this sound on
          my 325000klms 528i all I can say the starter is a bugger to replace
          regards Maca
          --- In bmwe28@..., "griffinaffelsauce" <