I'm new and need some

  • henkytonk
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 17, 2004
      Hello there, my name is Henky, I live in Jakarta, Indonesia.
      Please help. I own E28 year 1988. I've some problem with the
      electricity. The gas pump is not responding. The first (under) and
      the second (in the gas tank) are death. If I try to start directly,
      jumper with battery, the pump go in usual.

      I need the wiring diagram, could anyone help me.
      Thanks for information, and sharing
    • Gil Thereault
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 18, 2004
        Hello, start out with swapping out (replacing) the fuel pump relay, next to the left side of the fusebox. Check and clean all ground wires, they can cause some electrical problems. Let the group here know of your good results, ask for more help if needed.

        Gil
        86 535i 187k

      • henkytonk
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 18, 2004
          I've done before Gil, and you know what there are no indication that
          the fuel pump damage or something.
          By the way, thanks for your information.
          Could any body help me?
          Thanks
          88 520i 120K

          --- In bmwe28@..., Gil Thereault <giln1oiw2001@y...>
          wrote:
          > Hello, start out with swapping out (replacing) the fuel pump
          relay, next to the left side of the fusebox. Check and clean all
          ground wires, they can cause some electrical problems. Let the
          group here know of your good results, ask for more help if needed.

          > Gil
          > 86 535i 187k

        • Steve Austin
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 19, 2004
            Hi

            Sounds like Fuel Pump Relay to me.

            Paul

            >From: "henkytonk" <henkytonk@...>
            >To: bmwe28@...
            >Subject: [bmw e28] I'm new and need some
            >Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 05:16:59 -0000
            >

            >Hello there, my name is Henky, I live in Jakarta, Indonesia.
            >Please help. I own E28 year 1988. I've some problem with the
            >electricity. The gas pump is not responding. The first (under) and
            >the second (in the gas tank) are death. If I try to start directly,
            >jumper with battery, the pump go in usual.
            >
            >I need the wiring diagram, could anyone help me.
            >Thanks for information, and sharing

            http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/
          • Steve Austin
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 19, 2004
              Henky

              Change fule pump fuse - make sure it is sitting tightly in it's, cleaned,
              "holder". Then clean all grounds - particularly engine ground, ground under
              rear seat and ground by battery. I'm no expert but if the pumps work when
              you jump them and the fuel pump fuse and relay are working must be
              ground/wiring problem.

              --Paul

              >From: "henkytonk" <henkytonk@...>
              >To: bmwe28@...
              >Subject: Re: [bmw e28] I'm new and need some
              >Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 00:52:25 -0000
              >

              >I've done before Gil, and you know what there are no indication that
              >the fuel pump damage or something.
              >By the way, thanks for your information.
              >Could any body help me?
              >Thanks
              >88 520i 120K
              >
              >--- In bmwe28@..., Gil Thereault <giln1oiw2001@y...>
              >wrote:
              > > Hello, start out with swapping out (replacing) the fuel pump
              >relay, next to the left side of the fusebox. Check and clean all
              >ground wires, they can cause some electrical problems. Let the
              >group here know of your good results, ask for more help if needed.
              > >
              > > Gil
              > > 86 535i 187k

              http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/
            • Brian M. Armstrong
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 22, 2004
                Has anyone found a replacement for the fuse holder. it seems like
                that is a very weak link in the bavarian monster. I have personally
                run a monster fuse block for add on's (i.e. radio, lights, siren!).
                There has got to be a usable substitute out there.

                brian
                --- In bmwe28@..., "Steve Austin" <steveaustin1@h...>
                wrote:
                > Henky
                >
                > Change fule pump fuse - make sure it is sitting tightly in it's,
                cleaned,
                > "holder". Then clean all grounds - particularly engine ground,
                ground under
                > rear seat and ground by battery. I'm no expert but if the pumps
                work when
                > you jump them and the fuel pump fuse and relay are working must be
                > ground/wiring problem.
                >
                > --Paul
                >

                > >From: "henkytonk" <henkytonk@y...>
                > >To: bmwe28@...
                > >Subject: Re: [bmw e28] I'm new and need some
                > >Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 00:52:25 -0000
                > >

                > >I've done before Gil, and you know what there are no indication
                that
                > >the fuel pump damage or something.
                > >By the way, thanks for your information.
                > >Could any body help me?
                > >Thanks
                > >88 520i 120K
                > >
                > >--- In bmwe28@..., Gil Thereault <giln1oiw2001@y...>
                > >wrote:
                > > > Hello, start out with swapping out (replacing) the fuel pump
                > >relay, next to the left side of the fusebox. Check and clean all
                > >ground wires, they can cause some electrical problems. Let the
                > >group here know of your good results, ask for more help if needed.
                > > >
                > > > Gil
                > > > 86 535i 187k

                > Want to block unwanted pop-ups? Download the free MSN Toolbar
                now!
                > http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/
              • Craig Newman
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 22, 2004
                  Brian posed an interesting question...
                  >Has anyone found a replacement for the fuse holder. it seems
                  >like that is a very weak link in the bavarian monster.
                  >There has got to be a usable substitute out there.
                  I doubt there are enough E28s left that owners would want to
                  convert to make it financially viable to produce a repacement
                  fuse box.

                  Does anyone know if there are connector plugs on the rear of the
                  fusebox or are they hard wired?

                  I doubt the conversion to bayonet fuses would be impossible but
                  it might be difficult making it look professional, which raises
                  another problem - resale! Having a vastly modifed fuse box
                  implies awful reliability to a prosective buyer.

                  It might be an interesting project for over the winter though...

                  Craig

                  =====
                  MrClegg
                  Newsletter Editor - Northumbria Advanced Motorcyclists
                  www.NAM-Online.org

                • Ron Kall
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 23, 2004
                    the small amp fuses are fine.

                    my a/c blower one melted. i bought single inline fuse
                    guys at walmart, yellow ones, and connected one to
                    each end of the aluminum stretch with a sheet metal
                    screw. no problem. don't mess with the little ones,
                    they will last forever.

                    =======================

                    ___________________________________________________________ALL-NEW
                    > Yahoo! Messenger - all new features - even more fun!
                    > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                    =====
                    Ron Kall
                    Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

                    1986 528e
                    1985 535i

                    http://vote.yahoo.com
                  • Brian M. Armstrong
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 23, 2004
                      as fate has it. i got into her today and she revved to redline and
                      wouldn't quit unless it was dogged by a gear. it had happened before
                      and i discovered it was a fuse loose. i'm getting really frustrated
                      with the fusebox. I found three that were barely making contact. I
                      think i'm going to go for a walk in the junkyard and look for a
                      substitute. i am also planning a trip to the local radio shack to see
                      if they have any large fuse holders. i can't see not doing a
                      conversion at this point. perhaps a vigerous cleaning will help...

                      brian