subframe bushings

  • Doug Dykaar
    Message 1 of 3 , 1 Nov 14:11
      I'm trying to diagnose a banging noise I get from the rear of the car over
      bumps. The banging seems to happen over smaller bumps with passengers. Car
      has 140k mi, Bilstein Sports, H&R springs, DInan bars. The front has all new
      bushings, but I only did the dogbones on the rear.

      So is there a way to check the rear subframe bushings? If I've been banging
      the subframe into something, where would I look to see evidence of the
      impact (e.g. paint chipped away)?

      TIA,

      Doug
    • sheetfar
      Message 2 of 3 , 1 Nov 16:30
        Doug,

        The BMW subframe can hit the underside of the car under certain
        conditions. You must think German when working on these cars. The
        subframe was NOT designed to place a floor jack under the car in the
        middle (under the rear differential).

        The other thing that can cause the subframe to strike the car body
        is if the subframe mount bushings are worn out.

        I have seen some e28's bump or thud when taking a hard corner with a
        ripple or bump in the middle of the turn.

        -Russ

        --- In bmwe28@..., "Doug Dykaar" <ddykaar@r...> wrote:
        > I'm trying to diagnose a banging noise I get from the rear of
        > the car over bumps. The banging seems to happen over smaller
        > bumps with passengers. Car has 140k mi, Bilstein Sports, H&R
        > springs, DInan bars. The front has all new bushings, but I
        > only did the dogbones on the rear.
        >
        > So is there a way to check the rear subframe bushings? If I've
        > been banging the subframe into something, where would I look
        > to see evidence of the impact (e.g. paint chipped away)?
        >
        > TIA,
        >
        > Doug
      • a88aza88a
        Message 3 of 3 , 4 Nov 11:54
          > So is there a way to check the rear subframe bushings? If I've been
          banging
          > the subframe into something, where would I look to see evidence of
          the
          > impact (e.g. paint chipped away)?

          It's easy to check the bushings.. lift the body of the car, have a
          look at them with a flashlight. if they're cracked inside, they're
          done. don't worry about the subframe banging.. it's just hitting the
          bottom of your trunk, i've never seen any real damage from it. new
          bushings are a good idea. they make better ones now, and they'll make
          a big difference, especially on a lowered car, where I can only
          assume your putting more stress on them. A good mechanic can do them
          quite a bit faster than the 3.5 hours the book gives you with a
          little heat.. but I wouldn't recommend doing this at home. best of
          luck to ya.