I think i killed my motor

  • icebreaker991966
    Message 1 of 5 , 4 Nov 09:46
      Hi all, i would like some feedback regarding my 1985 528e. I was
      driving my car heading into Boston, I was in the tunnel, and all
      sudden my car got loud, and started bucking. i was nervous, because
      I knew that this was serious. It stopped and wouldn't start. it was
      smoking, i opened the hood and found that the smoke was coming from
      the oil resivoir, i pulled my dipstick and it was bone dry. someone
      please tell me that it isn't toast. I put 3qts of oil in it hoping
      that it would start. my friend came and tried to start the car, but
      no luck, he sounded like it wanted to start, but didn't. he said
      that i might need a new starter. give it to me straight i think i
      can handle it thanks.
    • Greg Epps
      Message 2 of 5 , 4 Nov 09:53
        Hmm...when was the last time you changed the oil?

        I did this when I was in High school to my Ford Festiva...didn't
        change the oil for about a year. One day the whole thing just seized
        up. Wouldn't start back up, but sounded like it wanted to... Long
        story short. Grit scored the head pretty bad, so that had to be filed
        down (wouldn't recommend that route with a performance car). Broke
        the timing gear off the end of the cam, so that had to be replaced.
        But hey, I was a 16 y.o. kid with NO experience working on cars, and I
        fixed it all myself.

        What I'm saying is, yes, you probably toasted it. But it's probably fixable...

        On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 17:46:06 -0000, icebreaker991966
        <rodney.oliver@...> wrote:

        > Hi all, i would like some feedback regarding my 1985 528e. I was
        > driving my car heading into Boston, I was in the tunnel, and all
        > sudden my car got loud, and started bucking. i was nervous, because
        > I knew that this was serious. It stopped and wouldn't start. it was
        > smoking, i opened the hood and found that the smoke was coming from
        > the oil resivoir, i pulled my dipstick and it was bone dry. someone
        > please tell me that it isn't toast. I put 3qts of oil in it hoping
        > that it would start. my friend came and tried to start the car, but
        > no luck, he sounded like it wanted to start, but didn't. he said
        > that i might need a new starter. give it to me straight i think i
        > can handle it thanks.

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Greg Epps
        greg.epps@...
        http://resumes.hotjobs.com/eeeps99/telecomsupport
      • Oliver, Rodney
        Message 3 of 5 , 4 Nov 11:01
          are you talking big money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

          <rodney.oliver@...> wrote:

          > Hi all, i would like some feedback regarding my 1985 528e. I
          was
          > driving my car heading into Boston, I was in the tunnel, and
          all
          > sudden my car got loud, and started bucking. i was nervous,
          because
          > I knew that this was serious. It stopped and wouldn't start.
          it was
          > smoking, i opened the hood and found that the smoke was coming
          from
          > the oil resivoir, i pulled my dipstick and it was bone dry.
          someone
          > please tell me that it isn't toast. I put 3qts of oil in it
          hoping
          > that it would start. my friend came and tried to start the
          car, but
          > no luck, he sounded like it wanted to start, but didn't. he
          said
          > that i might need a new starter. give it to me straight i
          think i
          > can handle it thanks.

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Service.

          --
          Greg Epps
          greg.epps@...
          http://resumes.hotjobs.com/eeeps99/telecomsupport

          of Service <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html> .

        • Blake Nancarrow
          Message 4 of 5 , 4 Nov 11:17
            On Thursday 4 November 2004 12:46 PM, icebreaker991966
            wrote:
            > i pulled my dipstick and it was bone dry.

            Oh oh.

            Motors like oil...

            The good news is that you can likely buy the very same
            car for a few hundred dollars. If the chassis on the
            "new" car is no good, then you've got a motor swap to
            do.

            I bought an extra 528e parts car for CDN$400 this
            summer to keep the blue one running. The body on the
            new car sucks but I've got a good motor, trany, diff,
            great interior, spare brake, and misc. small parts!

            Good luck!

            Blake
          • maca600ss
            Message 5 of 5 , 4 Nov 19:28
              --- In bmwe28@..., "icebreaker991966" <rodney.oliver@h...>
              wrote:

              > Hi all, i would like some feedback regarding my 1985 528e. I was
              > driving my car heading into Boston, I was in the tunnel, and all
              > sudden my car got loud, and started bucking. i was nervous, because
              > I knew that this was serious. It stopped and wouldn't start. it was
              > smoking, i opened the hood and found that the smoke was coming from
              > the oil resivoir, i pulled my dipstick and it was bone dry. someone
              > please tell me that it isn't toast. I put 3qts of oil in it hoping
              > that it would start. my friend came and tried to start the car, but
              > no luck, he sounded like it wanted to start, but didn't. he said
              > that i might need a new starter. give it to me straight i think i
              > can handle it thanks.

              Because you turned the engine of straight away you could be lucky when you
              turn it over and there if there are no strange noises it is a good sign, check the
              spark plugs to see the condition of the individual cylinders and the
              compression if these are good you may be in luck. I had a sticking ring in my
              528, on a stinking hot day out here in Aussie, stopped the car straight away
              and had it towed back, the mechanic said it sounds terminal and then it
              cleared up that was 100,000klms ago it had fresh oil in it at the time but now I
              use only full synthetic good luck.