Re: [bmw e28] RE: E28 subframe bushings

  • sfj642
    Message 1 of 3 , 4 Nov 18:26
      Hi - I've been watching this thread.

      The main subframe rubber bushes are big ones on each side of the sub-frame
      and you will get a clonk on the overrun or on taking up the drive if they
      are worn out. They normally fail around 150,000 miles max. especially on
      the more powerful cars. Unusually, they work up-and-down rather than
      rotating like most rubber bushes so are subjected to much greater stress and
      movement.

      Now this is unusual - but people in the know say "take it to a BMW main
      dealer". The reason is that they have a special tool and also that the bolt
      holding the lot together rusts solidly and is a real *** to remove.
      Although it will cost you, there is a standard charge set by BMW (ask for
      it) for replacing these bushes. Probably work out cheaper than an
      open-ended job by a mechanic unfamiliar with the problems.

      I never regretted having mine done this way - at 160,000 the bolts were well
      and truly rusted in and it took two or three hours to get them out (although
      I was in the customer lounge, I could hear an awful lot of banging going on
      !).

      Whilst under there, ask them to check out the third mounting which is above
      the diff - it is less stressed so may be OK; mine was.

      Hope this is helpful

      Regards from Jim Butterworth (Somerset, UK)
      1985 521i SE auto and 1989 318i auto

      Message 2 of 3 , 5 Nov 11:57
        just my 2 cents.. Jim's right, you want someone who knows what
        they're doing, but I also hate the dealership, with their ridiculous
        labour rates and parts mark-ups.. a brake job at the dealership could
        easily cost more than an older e28. So I say go to any independant
        BMW mechanic around.. there's gotta be someone reasonably close who
        charges considerably less, and anyone who services BMWs regularly
        ought to have the tools and know-how to get it done quick. this is
        standard maintenance on all older bimmers. just for an example, my
        buddy charges (CAN) $65 an hour for labour, and can do them in 2
        hours or less. that beats $100+ for labour at 3.5 hours, and no break
        on parts.. you're looking to pay more than double at the dealer.
      • ken@kenholyoak.com
        Message 3 of 3 , 5 Nov 17:11
          Had to buy radiator for 740il

          Dealer Price 695
          Internet Prices 285-400 plus freight
          Local jobber 226
          Jobber purchased from a distributor for 166 and you know the distributor
          made at least 20%

          Kenneth H. Holyoak
          Information+Insight=Profit
          HIG, LLC
          Mail
          POB 68633
          Indianapolis IN 46268-0633
          UPS
          1508 E 86th Street Suite 177
          Indianapolis IN 46240

          ken@...

          317-253-7000 FAX 317-255-3708

          just my 2 cents.. Jim's right, you want someone who knows what
          they're doing, but I also hate the dealership, with their ridiculous
          labour rates and parts mark-ups.. a brake job at the dealership could
          easily cost more than an older e28.  So I say go to any independent