metric wheels!?

  • Alex Soduk
    Message 1 of 6 , 5 Nov 10:20
      hey guys...new to the board and the BMW world but somehow a 86 535i
      has come into my life and I am learning about 390mm wheels. they are
      WAY too expensive and I figure buying used set of normal sized wheels
      and tires will be about the same price as just a set of 390s. They
      would certainly pay themselves off in 2 sets of tires anyways. So, I
      am wondering what wheels fit the car. I see that on ebay there are a
      ton of BMW wheels for very good prices(compared to the porsche wheels
      i am used to buying). were there other bmw cars that used the same or
      compatible offset/width? perhaps an aftermarket wheel to look for?
      i'm tempted to try fitting a wheel from the 328 that i also somehow
      have becoem close to jsut to see... experiences???
      Alex
    • Greg Epps
      Message 2 of 6 , 5 Nov 10:30
        one word: Hartge... you can find them at www.auto-mark.com Check
        out the e28 Hartge style A wheels. Yes they're pricey, but-IMHO-they
        are the best looking wheel out there for this car.

        On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 18:20:46 -0000, Alex Soduk <asoduk@...> wrote:

        > hey guys...new to the board and the BMW world but somehow a 86 535i
        > has come into my life and I am learning about 390mm wheels. they are
        > WAY too expensive and I figure buying used set of normal sized wheels
        > and tires will be about the same price as just a set of 390s. They
        > would certainly pay themselves off in 2 sets of tires anyways. So, I
        > am wondering what wheels fit the car. I see that on ebay there are a
        > ton of BMW wheels for very good prices(compared to the porsche wheels
        > i am used to buying). were there other bmw cars that used the same or
        > compatible offset/width? perhaps an aftermarket wheel to look for?
        > i'm tempted to try fitting a wheel from the 328 that i also somehow
        > have becoem close to jsut to see... experiences???
        > Alex

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Greg Epps
        greg.epps@...
        http://resumes.hotjobs.com/eeeps99/telecomsupport
      • Iain Simpson
        Message 3 of 6 , 5 Nov 10:40
          Most E28 & E34 5 series wheels will fit, most e32 7 series will fit also.

          You can put E39 5 series alloys on but these will require hubcentric rings
          to seat properly on the hub.

          The E30 3 series has the wrong bolt pattern (PCD) and the E36 & E46 3 series
          wheels have a radically different offset.

          You will probably find that a set of mint E34 imperial cross-spokes can be
          bought 2nd hand (on eBay or similar) for next to nothing, and they would
          certainly be my preference.

          Iain

          > hey guys...new to the board and the BMW world but somehow a 86 535i
          > has come into my life and I am learning about 390mm wheels. they are
          > WAY too expensive and I figure buying used set of normal sized wheels
          > and tires will be about the same price as just a set of 390s. They
          > would certainly pay themselves off in 2 sets of tires anyways. So, I
          > am wondering what wheels fit the car. I see that on ebay there are a
          > ton of BMW wheels for very good prices(compared to the porsche wheels
          > i am used to buying). were there other bmw cars that used the same or
          > compatible offset/width? perhaps an aftermarket wheel to look for?
          > i'm tempted to try fitting a wheel from the 328 that i also somehow
          > have becoem close to jsut to see... experiences???
          > Alex

        • a88aza88a
          Message 4 of 6 , 5 Nov 12:06
            I like my Alpina 20 spokes. they look so damn proper on the old
            bimmers. 16" is definitely the right size though, Alpina and Hartge
            both agreed on that.
          • Ron Kall
            Message 5 of 6 , 5 Nov 13:10
              buy a set of four at the salvage yard, they are 14
              inch wheels, the ones that came standard on the 528e's
              in the USA. Bavarian Auto in Sacramento sold me mine
              for under $50.00 each with a Michelin X radial that I
              ran for another 15k miles, good deal. The tire size
              that you buy then is 195/70 R 14.

              --- Alex Soduk <asoduk@...> wrote:

              > hey guys...new to the board and the BMW world but
              > somehow a 86 535i
              > has come into my life and I am learning about 390mm
              > wheels. they are
              > WAY too expensive and I figure buying used set of
              > normal sized wheels
              > and tires will be about the same price as just a set
              > of 390s. They
              > would certainly pay themselves off in 2 sets of
              > tires anyways. So, I
              > am wondering what wheels fit the car. I see that on
              > ebay there are a
              > ton of BMW wheels for very good prices(compared to
              > the porsche wheels
              > i am used to buying). were there other bmw cars that
              > used the same or
              > compatible offset/width? perhaps an aftermarket
              > wheel to look for?
              > i'm tempted to try fitting a wheel from the 328 that
              > i also somehow
              > have becoem close to jsut to see... experiences???
              > Alex

              =====
              Ron Kall
              Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

              1986 528e
              1985 535i

              Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
              www.yahoo.com
            • Blake Nancarrow
              Message 6 of 6 , 5 Nov 14:31
                On Friday 5 November 2004 1:20 PM, Alex Soduk wrote:
                > somehow a 86 535i
                > has come into my life and I am learning about 390mm
                wheels.

                When I bought Mr. Blue, he came with 2 sets of rims.
                The "summer" rims are BMW TRX (metric) "bottle caps"
                with 10 year old Michelin TRX tires. I forget the
                exact width but they are the "narrow" ones.

                I borrowed a friend's rims with TRX rims with 220/55
                vr 390 tires. This is the wider version of the metric
                tire. These were old tires which he said I could get
                rid of. I tracked the car that season, did about 15
                driving schools around North America. In the dry, I
                got an incredible amount of grip!

                The other set of rims I have are aluminum "basket
                weave" (BBS?) with winter tires, Motomaster (Canadian
                Tire) Nordic IceTrac P195/70R14. I.e. 14" rims.

                No fitment issues with any of these.

                A couple of years ago I bought some cheap 17" Team
                Dynamics alloy wheels (powder coated white; makes it
                look like the Pimp Mobile). They were wearing 215/4
                0R17 Falken tires.

                The only problem mounting these rims was that the
                front hub bearing dust covers interfered with the
                centres of the rims. I swapped the dust covers for the
                same types used on the E30 M3. These covers fit inside
                the rotor vs. the old style that was taller and had a
                big lip.

                cheers,
                Blake