buying a 97 or 98 528i automatic

  • versa73guy
    Message 1 of 4 , 6 Nov 23:48
      Hi, I'm in process of buying my first BMW and have noticed quite a
      few mechanical problems or gliches with them. I'm looking at 97's
      and 98's. I was told to ask about the: radiator, fuel pump, water
      pump, shocks..anything else in paticular? Also, what would be a good
      guesstimation on annual repair/maintenence costs?

      Thanks for your time!
      Rob in Minneapolis, MN
    • gary edmonds
      Message 2 of 4 , 7 Nov 01:37
        Hi Rob,

        Bought my first E28 a 528i auto and she's been great.
        Chose carefully, if it looks good and drives well,
        you'll have a reliable friend. As with all cars of
        this age, anything can happen! Mine has only done
        117,000 miles and apart from the major inspection 2
        service ($500 US) has cost nothing to run in the last
        6 months. Go ahead and enjoy!

        --- versa73guy <versa73guy@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------

        Hi, I'm in process of buying my first BMW and have
        noticed quite a
        few mechanical problems or gliches with them. I'm
        looking at 97's
        and 98's. I was told to ask about the: radiator, fuel
        pump, water
        pump, shocks..anything else in paticular? Also, what
        would be a good
        guesstimation on annual repair/maintenence costs?

        Thanks for your time!
        Rob in Minneapolis, MN

        Terms of Service.

      • Ron Kall
        Message 3 of 4 , 7 Nov 12:55
          1997-98 528i is an E39.

          Great car. Watch the miles.
          Wheel bearings usually go at
          about 150k, and brakes are the
          usual BMW, check the pads and
          change the rotors. Nice car.

          The E39 group has a forum as well.

          ========

          ___________________________________________________________ALL-NEW
          > Yahoo! Messenger - all new features - even more fun!
          > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

          =====
          Ron Kall
          Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

          1986 528e
          1985 535i

          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          www.yahoo.com
        • Ron Kall
          Message 4 of 4 , 7 Nov 13:01
            Rob,

            Repairs on this car on miles dependent
            and replacing normal stuff the prior owners
            did not replace. This car is timing chain, so
            no belt to worry about. Water pumps do last
            maybe 60k. Brakes pads maybe 25k, rotors same,
            radiator - 7-8 years.

            If you are doing the work, you will save a lot
            of money. Budget maybe 2k per year for repairs.
            Less if you are lucky and you do the work.

            This car is an E39. Check the threads on their
            board. Look around for it.

            =====