e28 Central Locking

  • crunwump
    Message 1 of 7 , 10 Nov 02:08
      Hi everyone! This is a brilliant group. I've just bought my first
      car - a 1983 520i - and it rocks. It seems structurally quite sound,
      but there's a few problems I'd like to sort out, not least of which
      being that the central locking is horsed. At the minute, to lock the
      doors I have to lock the driver's door with the key, then walk round
      to the passenger's door and lock that one with the key as well.

      So anyway, I'll get to the point. On the driver's door, and the two
      rear doors, there's the usual plastic button that you can pull up or
      press down to unlock/lock the door, but on the passenger's door
      there's just a little plastic disc covering the hole: no kind of
      button or switch at all. Is this normal for e28's? How is the
      passenger supposed to lock their door from the inside?

      While I'm here I suppose I could ask if anyone else has had similar
      problems? I've read Jim Cash's excellent posts about the central
      locking, and I'm gonna take the doors apart someday soon to look, but
      if anyone can give any extra guidance it'd be much appreciated.
      Incidentally, when I turn the key in the driver's door I hear a relay
      clicking somewhere under the steering wheel (the control unit
      presumably).

      Thanks for your help

      Michael Orr
    • Craig Newman
      Message 2 of 7 , 10 Nov 09:22
        Hi,
        >At the minute, to lock the doors I have to lock the driver's
        >door with the key, then walk round to the passenger's door and
        >lock that one with the key as well.
        You haven't said if when operating the drivers or passengers
        door if any of the other doors loak as well. When I got my 520
        the passengers and passengers side rear door didn't operatewhen
        using the central locking but the drivers side front and rear
        did. I removed the door cards and found both the connector plugs
        to the central locking relays in the door not connected, plugged
        them in and it all worked fine.

        While you're there use some silicon lubricant along the window
        runners to aid the window motors and a generous spray of WD40 or
        similar over the entire central locking rods will make life
        easier for the locking system motors as well.
        It's also a good time to check if there's much/any rust along
        the inside base of the doors and remove any gunge from around
        the drain holes that would cause rust to start.

        hth
        mrClegg

        =====
        MrClegg
        Newsletter Editor - Northumbria Advanced Motorcyclists
        www.NAM-Online.org

      • Ron Kall
        Message 3 of 7 , 10 Nov 10:14
          Michael,

          A cap instead of a door lock plunger guy is not
          standard issue, someone has removed it and capped it
          off, I think.

          ===================================

          --- crunwump <M.Orr@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone! This is a brilliant group. I've just
          > bought my first
          > car - a 1983 520i - and it rocks. It seems
          > structurally quite sound,
          > but there's a few problems I'd like to sort out, not
          > least of which
          > being that the central locking is horsed. At the
          > minute, to lock the
          > doors I have to lock the driver's door with the key,
          > then walk round
          > to the passenger's door and lock that one with the
          > key as well.
          >
          > So anyway, I'll get to the point. On the driver's
          > door, and the two
          > rear doors, there's the usual plastic button that
          > you can pull up or
          > press down to unlock/lock the door, but on the
          > passenger's door
          > there's just a little plastic disc covering the
          > hole: no kind of
          > button or switch at all. Is this normal for e28's?
          > How is the
          > passenger supposed to lock their door from the
          > inside?
          >
          > While I'm here I suppose I could ask if anyone else
          > has had similar
          > problems? I've read Jim Cash's excellent posts
          > about the central
          > locking, and I'm gonna take the doors apart someday
          > soon to look, but
          > if anyone can give any extra guidance it'd be much
          > appreciated.
          > Incidentally, when I turn the key in the driver's
          > door I hear a relay
          > clicking somewhere under the steering wheel (the
          > control unit
          > presumably).
          >
          > Thanks for your help
          >
          > Michael Orr

          =====
          Ron Kall
          Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

          1986 528e
          1985 535i

          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          www.yahoo.com
        • Steve Haygood
          Message 4 of 7 , 10 Nov 10:29
            all the 83 533 cars were without a plunger. Can't remember why,just remember
            that is the way they all are
            Steve

            Keep it Runnin'
            Automobile Solutions
            BMW CCA 6 Series Director
            www.SteveHaygood.com

            ===================================

            --- crunwump <M.Orr@...> wrote:

            > Hi everyone! This is a brilliant group. I've just
            > bought my first
            > car - a 1983 520i - and it rocks. It seems
            > structurally quite sound,
            > but there's a few problems I'd like to sort out, not
            > least of which
            > being that the central locking is horsed. At the
            > minute, to lock the
            > doors I have to lock the driver's door with the key,
            > then walk round
            > to the passenger's door and lock that one with the
            > key as well.
            >
            > So anyway, I'll get to the point. On the driver's
            > door, and the two
            > rear doors, there's the usual plastic button that
            > you can pull up or
            > press down to unlock/lock the door, but on the
            > passenger's door
            > there's just a little plastic disc covering the
            > hole: no kind of
            > button or switch at all. Is this normal for e28's?
            > How is the
            > passenger supposed to lock their door from the
            > inside?
            >
            > While I'm here I suppose I could ask if anyone else
            > has had similar
            > problems? I've read Jim Cash's excellent posts
            > about the central
            > locking, and I'm gonna take the doors apart someday
            > soon to look, but
            > if anyone can give any extra guidance it'd be much
            > appreciated.
            > Incidentally, when I turn the key in the driver's
            > door I hear a relay
            > clicking somewhere under the steering wheel (the
            > control unit
            > presumably).
            >
            > Thanks for your help
            >
            > Michael Orr

            =====
            Ron Kall
            Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

            1986 528e
            1985 535i

          • Brian M. Armstrong
            Message 5 of 7 , 10 Nov 18:50
              I had a similar problem when i first got my 528e. the problem was
              resolved when i went to the trunk and plugged it in. come to find
              out if the motor isn't plugged in it won't work.
              try this,
              if you lock the drivers door and it locks and unlocks immediatly
              check the trunk mech. and make sure it is plugged in and that the
              actuator rod is connected (it has a plastic retainer that is pretty
              weak). If those are connected i would start looking towards the
              doors as the culprit.
              if when you lock the drivers door and it does nothing and makes no
              sound it is most likely electrical and i would start at the fuse box
              and work my way down the circuit looking for the fault.
              hope this helps a bit.

              brian

              --- In bmwe28@..., "Steve Haygood"

              Service.
            • crunwump
              Message 6 of 7 , 11 Nov 02:33
                Sorry, I should have given a bit more detail. When I use the key to
                lock or unlock any of the doors (or the boot/trunk), only that door
                locks or unlocks. Nothing happens in any of the other doors or the
                boot, or the fuel filler flap.

                I've read before about a case where you would lock the doors and they
                would immediately unlock again, but it's not even doing that - the
                other locks just don't respond at all.

                If it's any help, I hear a 'click' sound from inside the car when the
                key is turned in the driver's door (one of the central locking relays
                presumably). The only actuator that I've looked at so far is the
                fuel filler one (cos it's easy to access!) which seems to be plugged
                in ok, so there mustn't be a signal getting to it.

                I'll maybe try pulling the doors apart at the weekend and see if I
                can find out anything else.

                Thanks for your help

                Michael

                --- In bmwe28@..., Craig Newman <mrcleggsbike@y...>
                wrote:
                > Hi,
                > >At the minute, to lock the doors I have to lock the driver's
                > >door with the key, then walk round to the passenger's door and
                > >lock that one with the key as well.
                > You haven't said if when operating the drivers or passengers
                > door if any of the other doors loak as well. When I got my 520
                > the passengers and passengers side rear door didn't operatewhen
                > using the central locking but the drivers side front and rear
                > did. I removed the door cards and found both the connector plugs
                > to the central locking relays in the door not connected, plugged
                > them in and it all worked fine.
                >
                > While you're there use some silicon lubricant along the window
                > runners to aid the window motors and a generous spray of WD40 or
                > similar over the entire central locking rods will make life
                > easier for the locking system motors as well.
                > It's also a good time to check if there's much/any rust along
                > the inside base of the doors and remove any gunge from around
                > the drain holes that would cause rust to start.
                >
                > hth
                > mrClegg
                >
                > =====
                > MrClegg
                > Newsletter Editor - Northumbria Advanced Motorcyclists
                > www.NAM-Online.org

                http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
              • Ron Kall
                Message 7 of 7 , 11 Nov 12:47
                  Michael,

                  Lock gremlins for sure. I had the same problem. I
                  thought it may have been the central locking cpu which
                  is located in the right side firewall, but it turned
                  out to be the radio fuse. The fuse actually in the
                  radio. You have to pull the radio out to replace it. I
                  would check the other fuses as well.

                  =====