noise oh' noise!

  • Brian M. Armstrong
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 12, 2004
      Everyone I need help. Do you know the sound your car makes when you
      door isn't all the way shut. It rattles and bangs like a dog being
      bounced behind on a leash. Anyhow, I have looked at the door, which
      is the drivers side rear, and can't find anything loose. I have also
      gone to the trouble of removing the wheel and looking at the
      suspension to see if something was amiss, nothing. I am going crazy
      here, someone please help. Does anyone know of something inside the
      door that could make such a racket?
    • Anthony J. Sollitto
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 12, 2004
        I'm assuming your bimmer rattles over bumps and sounds terrible? The
        cheapest and most effective way to fix this is to wrap the metal piece
        on the vehicle that connects to the door (the round section, the
        striker?) with electrical tape. This will end any rattles and foreign
        sounds from the doors. My 1983 528e is silent over bumps with this fix.
        The real fix I believe is to adjust the doors, I don't know how to do
        this but this cheap and effective. Please tell me if your successful.
        Anthony Sollitto

        P.S. Do you guys have squeaking dash boards, because I would love to fix
        that on mine when it's cold.
      • Brian M. Armstrong
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 12, 2004
          thanks for the advice. i have compared with the other doors and they
          appear to be the same condition. I am going to go try that tomorrow
          and see what happens.

          brian

          --- In bmwe28@..., "Anthony J. Sollitto"
          <asollitt@d...> wrote:
          > I'm assuming your bimmer rattles over bumps and sounds terrible?
          The
          > cheapest and most effective way to fix this is to wrap the metal
          piece
          > on the vehicle that connects to the door (the round section, the
          > striker?) with electrical tape. This will end any rattles and
          foreign
          > sounds from the doors. My 1983 528e is silent over bumps with this
          fix.
          > The real fix I believe is to adjust the doors, I don't know how to
          do
          > this but this cheap and effective. Please tell me if your
          successful.
          > Anthony Sollitto
          >
          > P.S. Do you guys have squeaking dash boards, because I would love
          to fix
          > that on mine when it's cold.
        • David Brown
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 12, 2004
            a good silicone spray will remove noise on plastic to plastic and dash boards. I had a nasty one with the instrument cluster and dash joint. I sprayed the joint but removed excess so that it would not damage the dash with sun rays or discoloration. youll find the pure silicone spray the best for this. cheap too. david

          • Greg Epps
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2004
              I had noise similar to yours, turned out my driver door wasn't
              shutting completely. I adjusted the striker plate, and the noise went
              away. The screws are a pain to get loose, but you'll be very happy
              with the result if you adjust it properly. The striker plate can be
              used to adjust the door up, down, in, or out.

              On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:19:40 -0800 (PST), David Brown
              <sailandbail@...> wrote:
              > a good silicone spray will remove noise on plastic to plastic and dash
              > boards. I had a nasty one with the instrument cluster and dash joint. I
              > sprayed the joint but removed excess so that it would not damage the dash
              > with sun rays or discoloration. youll find the pure silicone spray the best
              > for this. cheap too. david

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Greg Epps
              greg.epps@...
              http://resumes.hotjobs.com/eeeps99/telecomsupport
            • Doug Dykaar
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 13, 2004
                Brian,

                The striker on the door, the piece on the door that rotates when the door
                closes, has a plastic cover. When they get old, they spontatneously
                dissappear, leaving no evidence of their existance - other than creating a
                gap that makes the door more difficult to close, and possibly allowing the
                door to rattle. They are one of those wonderful doo-dads that the dealer
                gave to me for nothing. Even the retail cost <$1.

                See if they're there. I can email a picture if you like.

                Regards,

                doug

                Message: 1

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 13, 2004
                  could i get a picture of that door, plastic thingamagig? mine are missing and I would like to describe them better to the dealer. perhaps a part number? cheers, david