Brake Warning Light...?

  • Chris Trevelyan
    Message 1 of 2 , 10 Nov 16:46
      From time to time, my brake warning light (on dash) flickers on and off - esp. when I've just started the car up, but also at times when I've been driving it for a while. The brakes work fine - I've put on new pads, sensors over the last six months. I recently had the brake fluid replaced as it hadn't been done in a while, but this didn't solve the problem. Any thoughts? Its an 86 535i.

      Take Care,
      Christopher
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Steve Haygood
      To: bmwe28@...
      Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 10:29 AM
      Subject: Re: [bmw e28] e28 Central Locking

      all the 83 533 cars were without a plunger. Can't remember why,just remember
      that is the way they all are
      Steve

      Keep it Runnin'
      Automobile Solutions
      BMW CCA 6 Series Director
      www.SteveHaygood.com

      ===================================

      --- crunwump <M.Orr@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone! This is a brilliant group. I've just
      > bought my first
      > car - a 1983 520i - and it rocks. It seems
      > structurally quite sound,
      > but there's a few problems I'd like to sort out, not
      > least of which
      > being that the central locking is horsed. At the
      > minute, to lock the
      > doors I have to lock the driver's door with the key,
      > then walk round
      > to the passenger's door and lock that one with the
      > key as well.
      >
      > So anyway, I'll get to the point. On the driver's
      > door, and the two
      > rear doors, there's the usual plastic button that
      > you can pull up or
      > press down to unlock/lock the door, but on the
      > passenger's door
      > there's just a little plastic disc covering the
      > hole: no kind of
      > button or switch at all. Is this normal for e28's?
      > How is the
      > passenger supposed to lock their door from the
      > inside?
      >
      > While I'm here I suppose I could ask if anyone else
      > has had similar
      > problems? I've read Jim Cash's excellent posts
      > about the central
      > locking, and I'm gonna take the doors apart someday
      > soon to look, but
      > if anyone can give any extra guidance it'd be much
      > appreciated.
      > Incidentally, when I turn the key in the driver's
      > door I hear a relay
      > clicking somewhere under the steering wheel (the
      > control unit
      > presumably).
      >
      > Thanks for your help
      >
      > Michael Orr

      =====
      Ron Kall
      Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

      1986 528e
      1985 535i

    • iltriotto
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2004
        I actually had a very similar problem, and just recently fixed it.
        In my case, it turned out that the metal contacts on the bulb socket
        had become calcified, and the metal wasn't contacting well. I
        cleaned the contacts off and made sure they were making good contact
        with the metal plate that distributes the electricity to the bulbs.

        Alternatively, I could have replaced the whole bulb socket. It's
        only a few dollars. Here's a picture of the part:

        http://bavauto.com/assets/product_images/hardpart/63211369270.jpg

        hope this helps.

        --- In bmwe28@..., "Chris Trevelyan" <ctrevelyan@t...>
        wrote:
        > From time to time, my brake warning light (on dash)
        flickers on and off - esp. when I've just started the car up, but
        also at times when I've been driving it for a while. The brakes work
        fine - I've put on new pads, sensors over the last six months. I
        recently had the brake fluid replaced as it hadn't been done in a
        while, but this didn't solve the problem. Any thoughts? Its an 86
        535i.

        > Take Care,
        > Christopher

        Service.