RE: [bmw e28] Brake Warning Light...?

  • Steve Austin
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 15, 2004
      Broken sensor connection/wiring would be my guess. Check and clean all
      grounds and fuse wouldn't hurt either.

      Paul

      http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/
    • Gil Thereault
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 15, 2004
        There are two brake lights, one for the brake linings and the other for the emergency brake. With the emergency brake lever released and when operating the vehicle, if the red brake light blinks on briefly and goes out (the same as emergency brake light), then the problem is the brake accumulator also known as the brake bomb. In the past four years, I had to replace mine twice. If you find that the brake pedal feels odd and you find the symptoms as described here, it is likely to the the brake accumulator. Your car may stop but you may not have any brake pressure in the event of loss of engine power. Never purchase a used on as it may be not any better than the one you have. I'm not really sure how they work but there is something that has to do with nitrogen in the accumulator. I did the job in the driveway and the first time it took less than two hours with the learning curve, the second time less than half the time. If any one has any comments regarding this or how this
        brake accumulator works, I would be interested in reading about it.

        86 535i 187k
        Gil

      • Chris Trevelyan
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 21, 2004
          Gil,

          Thanks for the input. I don't think this is the problem, as the brake pedal
          feels 100% normal, and braking is excellent all around. Its just that the
          brake light (only), flickers from time to time. Oh well, I don't think its a
          huge concern,

          Best Regards,
          Chris

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 21, 2004
            Paul,

            Thanks - your probably right, I'll do a bit of cleaning and see what happens.

            Best Regards,
            Chris
            Broken sensor connection/wiring would be my guess. Check and clean all
            grounds and fuse wouldn't hurt either.

            Paul

            >From: "Chris Trevelyan" <ctrevelyan@...>
            >To: <bmwe28@...>
            >Subject: [bmw e28] Brake Warning Light...?
            >Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:46:19 -0800
            >
            > From time to time, my brake warning light (on dash) flickers on
            >and off - esp. when I've just started the car up, but also at times when
            >I've been driving it for a while. The brakes work fine - I've put on new
            >pads, sensors over the last six months. I recently had the brake fluid
            >replaced as it hadn't been done in a while, but this didn't solve the
            >problem. Any thoughts? Its an 86 535i.
            >
            > Take Care,
            >Christopher

          • alan poulton
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 22, 2004
              --- Chris Trevelyan <ctrevelyan@...> wrote:
              Have a n '87 model 525E,UK spec.Break wear indication
              has a a transistorised circuit included in the dash
              printed circuit board,the quick fix is to remove the
              bulb and carry out regular visuals.Hope this is of
              help.aap.
              ---------------------------------
              Paul,

              Thanks - your probably right, I'll do a bit of
              cleaning and see what happens.

              Best Regards,
              Chris
              Broken sensor connection/wiring would be my guess.
              Check and clean all
              grounds and fuse wouldn't hurt either.

              Paul

              >From: "Chris Trevelyan" <ctrevelyan@...>
              >To: <bmwe28@...>
              >Subject: [bmw e28] Brake Warning Light...?
              >Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:46:19 -0800
              >
              > From time to time, my brake warning light
              (on dash) flickers on
              >and off - esp. when I've just started the car up,
              but also at times when
              >I've been driving it for a while. The brakes work
              fine - I've put on new
              >pads, sensors over the last six months. I recently
              had the brake fluid
              >replaced as it hadn't been done in a while, but
              this didn't solve the
              >problem. Any thoughts? Its an 86 535i.
              >
              > Take Care,
              >Christopher

              Yahoo! Terms of Service.

              to:

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              > c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              the Yahoo! Terms of
              >Service.
              >

              >[Non-text portions of this message have been
              removed]

              c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
              Yahoo! Terms of Service.

              Terms of Service.

              Get Yahoo! Mail www.yahoo.co.uk/10k
            • Chris Trevelyan
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 29, 2004
                Thanks Paul for the suggestion - its off most of the time so it doesn't bother too much, but if this changes, this is an idea.

                Take Care,
                Chris

                Broken sensor connection/wiring would be my guess.
                Check and clean all
                grounds and fuse wouldn't hurt either.

                Paul

                >From: "Chris Trevelyan" <ctrevelyan@...>
                >To: <bmwe28@...>
                >Subject: [bmw e28] Brake Warning Light...?
                >Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:46:19 -0800
                >
                > From time to time, my brake warning light
                (on dash) flickers on
                >and off - esp. when I've just started the car up,
                but also at times when
                >I've been driving it for a while. The brakes work
                fine - I've put on new
                >pads, sensors over the last six months. I recently
                had the brake fluid
                >replaced as it hadn't been done in a while, but
                this didn't solve the
                >problem. Any thoughts? Its an 86 535i.
                >
                > Take Care,
                >Christopher