82 520i Wipers, etc.

  • okareka12000
    Message 1 of 6 , 18 Nov 22:54
      Thanks John, Having looked at trying to remove the wiper motor I
      think I'll go with the relay first! On the other subjects, just had a
      basic service at my local BMW dealer (Not overly expensive if you're
      a BMW Club member)and he claims that they could make the rev counter
      work intermittently when their computer was plugged into the car.
      Anybody come across this before and does it throw any more light on
      my problem?I also told him about the battery-less pcb,which he had
      never heard of and thought would not work after the battery had been
      diconnected. Where can I get more info about this and also where can
      I get one? Regards, Dave.
    • okareka12000
      Message 2 of 6 , 19 Nov 16:16
        Update for Paul's info--I have taken the relay out.Take the black
        cover off by gently prising the baseplate out at one end. Don't pull
        up too far cos you'll bend the contacts.The brown fibre base plate
        then slides off over the contacts.Inside there is a pcb and 2
        mechanical relays.I have checked all the solder joints -all ok.I have
        sprayed contact cleaner on the relay contacts.When re assembling note
        that there is a locating lug on the black plastic cover. This locates
        the pcb in the correct position.Clip in the base plate and refit into
        the fuse box.Test run.Absolutely no difference--so I guess it has to
        be the wiper motor!! Regards, Dave.
      • ken@kenholyoak.com
        Message 3 of 6 , 19 Nov 19:43
          On my 528e I keep getting false reading on the warning panel for oil and
          coolent and the break sensor in dash area keeps saying I need to replace
          brakes - When I check everything is ok -

          Can these be replaced or disabled?

        • Brian M. Armstrong
          Message 4 of 6 , 20 Nov 21:21
            for the coolant sensor just run a jumper to the two pins on the
            connector. it grounds it out and shuts off the light. for the break
            pad sensor i just removed the bulb. I had the inst. cluster out for
            another issue and figured i had the wheels off enough i could just
            check break pad condition myself. however, I would check the fuses
            first. they are notorious in this model for electrical gremlins.

            --- In bmwe28@..., ken@k... wrote:
            > On my 528e I keep getting false reading on the warning panel for
            oil and
            > coolent and the break sensor in dash area keeps saying I need to
            replace
            > brakes - When I check everything is ok -
            >

            > Can these be replaced or disabled?

          • Craig

              Message 6 of 6 , 24 Nov 00:43
                Just an update. I am now the proud owner of 2 82 520i's.For better or
                worse. The latest one is 7 months newer than my regular car ( built
                April 82) and quite a bit different. First car is UK spec and has
                alloy wheels,sliding steering column, lifting driver's seat,electric
                windows,no sunroof,K tronic fuel injection,mph speedo, fuelgauge with
                e,1/2 f markings, no econometer, no headlight adjust,2 x rear
                foglight.Latest car ( built Nov 82) ( not going)is NZ spec has steel
                wheels,fixed steering column,fixed driver's seat,manual
                widows,factory sunroof,L tronic fuel injection,kph speedo,fuel gauge
                in litres,headlight adjust,econometer,1 x rear foglight.Now i've put
                the instrument cluster from the newer car in the original and the
                speedo works properly, the service indicator,fuel gauge and temp
                gauge all work well, but the rev counter is trying to work - needle
                flicking occasionally and the econometer does not work at all.Local
                BMW dealer has just had a look at the original car and said all the
                sensors are working.Any ideas, anyone? Dave.