heater motor

  • jeroenkrijnen
    Message 1 of 9 , 21 Nov 04:44
      Hi, both my e28's produce noise from the heater motor when switched
      on. In my 1984 520i (267.000km) it's a whistle produced in level 1
      which more or less shuts up in level 2 and stops completely when
      switched to level 3.
      In my 1986 528i (220.000km)the noise is a growly rumble in all
      levels, but tends to shut up when switched in level 3.
      I've heard this will be probably caused by a worn heater motor
      bearing, and that it's impossible to replace it. I find that hard to
      believe, so I would like to read stories that prove otherwise. Is it
      possible to replace that bearing, and how to do it best?

      Jeroen, Netherlands
    • Craig
      Message 2 of 9 , 21 Nov 08:54
        I believe the bearings are bronze sintered bushings. At any rate I put a drop of oil around each bushing and it quieted the blower in my 80 528i.

        Craig

        jeroenkrijnen <jeroenkrijnen@...> wrote:

        Hi, both my e28's produce noise from the heater motor when switched
        on. In my 1984 520i (267.000km) it's a whistle produced in level 1
        which more or less shuts up in level 2 and stops completely when
        switched to level 3.
        In my 1986 528i (220.000km)the noise is a growly rumble in all
        levels, but tends to shut up when switched in level 3.
        I've heard this will be probably caused by a worn heater motor
        bearing, and that it's impossible to replace it. I find that hard to
        believe, so I would like to read stories that prove otherwise. Is it
        possible to replace that bearing, and how to do it best?

        Jeroen, Netherlands

      • Brian M. Armstrong
        Message 3 of 9 , 21 Nov 12:37
          went through the same issue on my 84 528e. i replace the motor and
          got the same result. i then sprayed a little wd-40 and it shut up.
          problem fixed! Well, actually the car smelled pretty bad for days
          but the noise quit! i think that there was probably some form of
          lubricant in the bearings and over time it is lost. the replacement
          of that lub should resove the noise issue.
          as far as the growling issue. pull the plate off of the firewall
          and make sure the motor hasn't shifted. it is only held in by a
          simple clip and it will rotate after time. realigning it with the
          plastic squirrel cage covers should resolve that problem.
          hope this helps.

          brian

          --- In bmwe28@..., Craig <caddvm@y...> wrote:
          > I believe the bearings are bronze sintered bushings. At any rate I
          put a drop of oil around each bushing and it quieted the blower in
          my 80 528i.

          > Craig
          >
          > jeroenkrijnen <jeroenkrijnen@h...> wrote:
          >
          > Hi, both my e28's produce noise from the heater motor when
          switched
          > on. In my 1984 520i (267.000km) it's a whistle produced in level 1
          > which more or less shuts up in level 2 and stops completely when
          > switched to level 3.
          > In my 1986 528i (220.000km)the noise is a growly rumble in all
          > levels, but tends to shut up when switched in level 3.
          > I've heard this will be probably caused by a worn heater motor
          > bearing, and that it's impossible to replace it. I find that hard
          > believe, so I would like to read stories that prove otherwise. Is
          it
          > possible to replace that bearing, and how to do it best?
          >
          > Jeroen, Netherlands

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Service.

        • Barry Mercer
          Message 4 of 9 , 25 Nov 08:25
            I was having a similar problem with my '86, it made noise, would
            start to die and then come back on. Sounded like bad bearings, but
            two weeks ago, it just plain died. I found a shop here in Seattle,
            Mercedes/BMW Parts Inc. That found a new motor for me the next day.
            His name is Abe, and he will ship, but does not take credit cards.
            (206-523_1804) I have also seen them a little cheaper on E-bay, but
            with out shipping, and no mention of the brand? I need to install it
            still, as I have not had time.

            The cost was $213.00 + Tax, but when it is cold, and your windows all
            fog up in the Seattle Rain, it is well worth it. The local
            Dealership said they could have one in maybe 5 to 10 weeks out of
            Germany, and it would be $453.00, plus tax of course. Seamed a
            little high and they were not willing to guarantee that I would have
            it anytime this winter?

            You do need to check which motor it is though, as three different
            brands were used in these cars. Mine had the Behr, but there are
            others. Pull the panel, and look. It is located behind the engine
            on the upper side of the firewall, and runs the length of the
            firewall. It has a bunch of sheet metal screws with socket style
            heads, so take your time to get them all. The motor is held in by
            spring wire strap clips. Just flip up the buckle. I then had to pt
            it back together to go and get the motor.

            A new fan will be nice!

            VMEBarry

            --- In bmwe28@..., "Brian M. Armstrong"
            <barmstrong@r...> wrote:

            > went through the same issue on my 84 528e. i replace the motor and
            > got the same result. i then sprayed a little wd-40 and it shut up.
            > problem fixed! Well, actually the car smelled pretty bad for days
            > but the noise quit! i think that there was probably some form of
            > lubricant in the bearings and over time it is lost. the replacement
            > of that lub should resove the noise issue.
            > as far as the growling issue. pull the plate off of the firewall
            > and make sure the motor hasn't shifted. it is only held in by a
            > simple clip and it will rotate after time. realigning it with the
            > plastic squirrel cage covers should resolve that problem.
            > hope this helps.
            >
            > brian
            >
            > --- In bmwe28@..., Craig <caddvm@y...> wrote:
            > > I believe the bearings are bronze sintered bushings. At any rate
            > put a drop of oil around each bushing and it quieted the blower in
            > my 80 528i.
            > >
            > > Craig
            > >
            > > jeroenkrijnen <jeroenkrijnen@h...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi, both my e28's produce noise from the heater motor when
            > switched
            > > on. In my 1984 520i (267.000km) it's a whistle produced in level
            1
            > > which more or less shuts up in level 2 and stops completely when
            > > switched to level 3.
            > > In my 1986 528i (220.000km)the noise is a growly rumble in all
            > > levels, but tends to shut up when switched in level 3.
            > > I've heard this will be probably caused by a worn heater motor
            > > bearing, and that it's impossible to replace it. I find that hard
            > > believe, so I would like to read stories that prove otherwise. Is
            > it
            > > possible to replace that bearing, and how to do it best?
            > >
            > > Jeroen, Netherlands

            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            > Service.

          • Steve Haygood
            Message 5 of 9 , 25 Nov 08:38
              FWIW, I have the motor alone without the fan cages for 75.00 or the complete
              assembly for 167.00( both new with warranty) and I will ship and take credit
              cards. Those are the behr versions, sofica is more ,but most of our cars
              have the Behr fan.
              Steve
              Keep It Runnin'
              www.stevehaygood.com
              Automobile Solutions
              BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director

              Message 6 of 9 , 25 Nov 19:43
                I bought a Sofica heater blower motor for $144.95
                from Bavarian Autosport (www.bavauto.com). You might
                check that out.
                Jerry
                86 535i
                88 535is
                --- Barry Mercer <vmebarry@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > >
                > > > Hi, both my e28's produce noise from the heater
                > motor when
                > > switched
                > > > on. In my 1984 520i (267.000km) it's a whistle
                > produced in level
                > 1
                > > > which more or less shuts up in level 2 and stops
                > completely when
                > > > switched to level 3.
                > > > In my 1986 528i (220.000km)the noise is a growly
                > rumble in all
                > > > levels, but tends to shut up when switched in
                > level 3.
                > > > I've heard this will be probably caused by a
                > worn heater motor
                > > > bearing, and that it's impossible to replace it.
                > I find that hard
                > > > believe, so I would like to read stories that
                > prove otherwise. Is
                > > it
                > > > possible to replace that bearing, and how to do

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              • Barry Mercer
                Message 7 of 9 , 26 Nov 09:22
                  Thanks Steve,

                  I will check with you the next time I need a part.

                  I put the Behr in yesterday and it works very nice indeed. Could be
                  a stronger fan, like the AC fan though. I still don't get the
                  seperate systems? Seems real repetitive to this yankey. The Dryer
                  in the AC would be very benificial for defrost and defog?

                  Barry

                  --- In bmwe28@..., "Steve Haygood"

                • Steve Haygood
                  Message 8 of 9 , 26 Nov 09:28
                    I agree , it would be nice to have the dry air on the windshield

                  • Ron Kall
                    Message 9 of 9 , 29 Nov 09:22
                      Happy Post Thanksgiving Monday to all,

                      Has anyone changed out the inner CV boot on the rear
                      passenger side. I hear that that side is easier than
                      the other. It looks clear, but I have a few questions:

                      1. Can you use those cheap two boots and not pull the
                      axle out? Are the sizes standard?

                      2. I read the Benteley on pulling the axle. I am a
                      little confused on pressing something onto the shaft?
                      Do you need a puller to do this? It looked like all
                      you need is a hex bit and a socket wrench?

                      3. Should I change the outer as well as the inner as
                      long as I am at it? Are they the same part number.
                      They look a little different in size on the rubber
                      bellows.

                      Is this an easy DIY job? It seems a little tough?
                      Advice as well as how quick to take care of this?

                      thanks again,
                      ---

                      =====
                      Ron Kall