Main Instrument Cluster

  • gepaul111
    Message 1 of 6 , 21 Nov 17:33
      I have an '86 535i built 3/85 with a spastic instrument cluster.
      None of the following gages seem to be reading the right engine rpm,
      fuel econimizer and speedometer. The odometer and trip odometer
      moves a little. The speedometer gage displays about 20mph and rpm
      gauge displays about 1000rpm going about 60mph.
      I replaced the speed and reference (flywheel) sensors and
      speedometer pulse sensor. all new fuses, cleaned relays and
      connections.
      Any ideas or tips? How many connections are made to the back of the
      cluster.
      Jerry
    • Norman Hauser
      Message 2 of 6 , 21 Nov 18:08
        Surprisingly few connections. easily removed cluster,
        two screws at the top hold it in, sounds like a bad
        ground , but the whole shebang might be gone. Keep
        looking for other diagnosis by people who have had and
        solved this issue, OK
        Stormin Norman

      • ken@kenholyoak.com
        Message 3 of 6 , 21 Nov 18:14
          Call Steve

          After I spent a bunch of money trying the simple fixes I sent mine to him
          and it was only a couple hundred dollars and has worked perfectly since

          <http://www.dashusa.com/> http://www.dashusa.com/

          (248) 475 9019

          4577 Lapeer Rd. Suite A

          Orion, MI 48359

          _____

          I have an '86 535i built 3/85 with a spastic instrument cluster.
          None of the following gages seem to be reading the right engine rpm,
          fuel econimizer and speedometer. The odometer and trip odometer
          moves a little. The speedometer gage displays about 20mph and rpm
          gauge displays about 1000rpm going about 60mph.
          I replaced the speed and reference (flywheel) sensors and
          speedometer pulse sensor. all new fuses, cleaned relays and
          connections.
          Any ideas or tips? How many connections are made to the back of the
          cluster.
          Jerry

          _____

          <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html> Terms of Service.

        • Brian M. Armstrong
          Message 4 of 6 , 21 Nov 18:58
            as a suggestion, pop out the cluster and check the boards. they are
            notorious for getting corroded from the rechargable batteries
            getting old and leaking. btw don't touch any of the gears as they
            are probably pretty brittle at this point. finding replacements is
            next to impossible.
            --- In bmwe28@..., ken@k... wrote:
            > Call Steve
            >

            > After I spent a bunch of money trying the simple fixes I sent mine
            to him
            > and it was only a couple hundred dollars and has worked perfectly
            since

            > <http://www.dashusa.com/> http://www.dashusa.com/
            >

            > (248) 475 9019
            >

            > 4577 Lapeer Rd. Suite A
            >
            > Orion, MI 48359
            >

            > _____

          • Gerald Paul
            Message 5 of 6 , 24 Nov 20:46
              Brian,
              Thanks for reply. I haven't popped out the batteries,
              but will and see if there is corrosion. Do you know if
              I should use some sort of lubricant on the
              odometer? Looking the back of the cluster, there are 2
              big colored connections on the left and one colored
              the right side. There is a connection for the light on
              the left side and a blade type connection on the left.
              In the empty space under the dash are several blade
              type connectors. Which one is the right one?
              Theres a blue with a single wire, white with a single
              wire and another blue with 3 wires. There may be more.
              Hate to trash the cluster.
              Jerry
              86 535i
              88 535is
              Armstrong" <barmstrong@...> wrote:

              > as a suggestion, pop out the cluster and check the
              > boards. they are
              > notorious for getting corroded from the rechargable
              > batteries
              > getting old and leaking. btw don't touch any of the
              > gears as they
              > are probably pretty brittle at this point. finding
              > replacements is
              > next to impossible.
              > --- In bmwe28@..., ken@k... wrote:
              > > Call Steve
              > >

              > > After I spent a bunch of money trying the simple
              > fixes I sent mine
              > to him
              > > and it was only a couple hundred dollars and has
              > worked perfectly
              > since
              > >

              > > <http://www.dashusa.com/> http://www.dashusa.com/
              > >

              > > (248) 475 9019