econo gauge

  • Brian M. Armstrong
    Message 1 of 5 , 21 Nov 19:00
      does anyone know how the econo gauge works. what wires/sensors does
      it use. i just put in a new cluster and neither have worked. if i
      idol going down the road it swings to 40mpg then back to 0 when i
      put the gas back on. i think there is a sensor loose but i'm not
      sure where to start.
    • Norman Hauser
      Message 2 of 5 , 21 Nov 19:15
        The economy guage works off data received by the
        Motronic computer. signals sent by the speedometer and
        the tachometer if I remember correctly. I learn alot
        from the Bentley manuel which i strongly reccommend.
        If I am incorrect i appologize.
        stormin norman

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Brian M. Armstrong
        Message 3 of 5 , 21 Nov 19:31
          i was afraid of that. everything work fine but the odometer. a gear
          shattered and it dosen't work. do you know if there is a wire on the
          rear of the cluster. my first cluster had the two main plugs. but
          also had two seperate single wire ones that plugged beside the big
          plug behind the speedo. the new cluster only has one contact and i
          was left with one out. the problem is i don't know what they are for.

          brian
          --- In bmwe28@..., Norman Hauser
          <normanthefloorman@y...> wrote:
          > The economy guage works off data received by the
          > Motronic computer. signals sent by the speedometer and
          > the tachometer if I remember correctly. I learn alot
          > from the Bentley manuel which i strongly reccommend.
          > If I am incorrect i appologize.
          > stormin norman

          > http://my.yahoo.com
        • Norman Hauser
          Message 4 of 5 , 22 Nov 02:39
            You could go to your nearest BMW dealership, to the
            parts/service dept. there is usually a technician
            there who will be willing to help and a parts man who
            could use the BMW computer to look up exactly what
            model gauge cluster you have and what wire goes where.
            They are usually big fans of e-28's down at BMW I know
            I am a well liked 5 owner at mine, and they help with
            those complicated issues.For instance I had an issue
            with my horns going off, they were on aall the time I
            had to disconnect them, I pulled the relay too, I went
            to BMW here to ask for help with my problem because it
            was something I couldnt understand, the relay was fine
            I opened it. The Tech there at BMW actually called me
            back when he had time and he looked up the wiring
            schematic and spoke to me for about a half hour, that
            was great considering I hadn't bought the car there
            and even if I did it would have been near 20 years
            ago.They are good mates at BMW give them a try.

            The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
            http://my.yahoo.com
          • jeroenkrijnen
            Message 5 of 5 , 22 Nov 11:55
              You're absolutely right! If you're in a BMW-workshop, go for the
              older bloke. He'll probably remember working on E28's, in Holland's
              just the same, beware of young not-motivated mechanics and sales
              managers whose only joy and pride is showing off with expensive new
              7's and X5's
              If you're at the dealer try to get the latest CD-ROM of BMW Mobile
              Tradition which contains parts list with drawings of each BMW
              produced between 1960 and 1990. You are then able to sit back at
              home behind your computer looking for the items you need. One
              phonecall to the dealer is enough to order.
              About the econo-gauge: mine works fine, but in my 86 528i tachometer
              (rpm)is dead, fuelgauge works poor, service-interval constantly
              showing me to have an inspection. I think the green backplate with
              all the contacts on (how's that part called in english)has had it's
              life...

              Jeroen, Netherlands

              --- In bmwe28@..., Norman Hauser